1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

<Blank> startup Item in MSCONFIG

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by w.young, 2007/11/06.

1. 2007/11/06
    w.young

w.young Inactive Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP Pro system. When I go into MSCONFIG to turn off unneccesary startup items to help make the system run better, I notice there's one that starts up which doesn't have a Startup Item name its <Blank>. The location refers to "HKLM \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run ".

Does anyone know what this is and do I need to run it when the system starts up.

Thanks.
    Bill

2. 2007/11/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Bill

No real idea what is is, but I have the same on my XP Pro box too and disabled it with no ill effects many moons ago.

BTW - best not to use msconfig to control startup items - much better to use one of the following .....

Startup Control Panel

CodeStuff Starter

Autoruns from Sysinternals, now part of MS.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/11/06
    tuktaktim

tuktaktim Inactive

MSconfig

[FONT= "Tahoma"][SIZE= "3"][/SIZE][/FONT]I use msconfig almost everyday and it is a great tool for finding out everything from slow bootup times to vispy related issues. I think the item in the Startup tab is a virus or trojan. Try downloading and running Hijackthis.

5. 2007/11/07
    balo

balo Inactive

My guess would be they are win ini files. One is usually win.ini.run and the other win.ini.load. They download drivers, wallpaper, etc. You can Google it. The suggestion by Pete, Code Stuff Starter, will identify exactly what they are. I use it all the time. Great little program.

balo,
  6. 2007/11/16
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

I have this same problem, and it is not caused by something malicious in my case. Let me explain.
    I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. When you install the drivers for this stick, it also installs the Wingman Profiler. I don't always have the stick plugged in, and therefore do not have the Profiler in the startup at all times.
    I control the startup using the software itself. The method used by the software creates the problem by deleting the Value's Data, leaving the Value "Start WingMan Profiler ".
    My theory is since the Value Data is blank, Msconfig has nothing to show under the Command column, seeming to by default ignore the Value and leave it blank also.
    I confirmed this by using Regedit and Msconfig where I deleted then replaced the Value, the Value Data being blank in both cases.

Value deleted > no blank line in Msconfig
    Value replaced > blank line in Msconfig

HijackThis 2.02 will not show the existence of the Value or it's Value Data while the Value Data is blank.

Last edited: 2007/11/16
  7. 2007/11/16
    visionof

visionof Inactive

8. 2007/11/25
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive

petec

gotta ask you why you recommend not using msconfig ???

have looked at the other programs you suggest and they are cool no doubt but msconfig seems so much easier.

9. 2007/11/25
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Greg,

My reasons are that msconfig is:

Not all that effective against items that reinsert themselves into the startup locations - Startup Control Panel would deal with that.

And msconfig doesn't show all the possible startup locations.

An example that comes to mind is Print Monitors, which autoruns would show and disable.

10. 2007/11/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Greg

I think Charles has said it all - msconfig is not 'all seeing' - or at least not 'all revealing' and apart from the points he makes I prefer the clarity and greater depth of information that the alternatives provide.

11. 2007/11/25
    visionof

visionof Inactive