1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

CD burner / DVD burner play but won't burn

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Barry, 2007/09/20.

1. 2007/09/20
    Barry

Barry Geek Member Thread Starter

After installing a new hard drive, I've discovered, that though I can use my CDRW and DVDRW to play, they won't burn. I've attempted to copy some of my files from my computer, and the computer says that there is a problem with the CD or the format isn't readable by Windows. I reinstalled Nero Suite (Nero Express 6.6.0.14) and I uninstalled both burners through device manager, yet there is no change. What steps are recommended at this time?

2. 2007/09/21
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Hi Barry,
    I suppose the first thing I would try is booting to a bootable CD, like the Windows CD. That would at least tell you that the hardware is working (drives and drive controllers).

If they are connected to the same cable, check the jumper settings. I would reverse them as master/slave, or, if they are set to CS, reverse the connections on the cable (they should be set as either one master and one slave or both CS). This reversal may reset whatever is causing the errors.

Next step, find updated chipset drivers for the motherboard (this will update the IDE Controller drivers).

Hope those may do the trick, or someone has a direct answer for you. Put the main part of the error message into a websearch or at the KB:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

Let us know how those go, there are one or two other things we can try.

Matt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/09/23
    Barry

Hi Matt, thanks for the suggestions. I finally got around to following them, but there is no change. I didn't understand the part about booting to a bootable CD, and I already know that the burners are seen by Windows and do play. The burning process is what always seems to fail. I uninstalled the old MOBO drivers and upgraded to the newest drivers. I reversed the jumpers, also. I noticed that in properties, my CD-RW doesn't say enable CD recording. Every time I check that box and click apply, it doesn't hold, as the next time I open it up, it still says that it isn't enabled. I can understand a possible problem with that burner, as a CD exploded inside of it while running, but I can still play CDs using that burner. The DVD/CD burner is the one that has me stumped, as nothing happened to that one. What do I do next?

5. 2007/09/23
    Barry

OK, here is some more information, though it might just muddy the water more. I attempted to burn using my backup hard drive and had the same results. I can't copy an audio CD from my CD burner to my DVD burner, but I can copy an audio CD from my DVD burner to my CD burner. The CD I burn can't be played on my CD burner, but can be played on my DVD burner. The quality starts out excellent, but eventually gets scratchy and skips. I have to go outside and get some work done, but I think I'll change my IDE cable when I get in later, though both going out at the same time sounds more like a MOBO issue to me. What are your thoughts?

6. 2007/09/23
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Barry, you should have Nero Info Tool as part of your suite. Load program, click on Drive Tab, select you DVD burner. Look in Supported Write Features. Is Nero correctly stating features for your DVD optical?
    If yes ... when you want to burn something to a DVD, what program are you loading (from Nero suite) prior to inserting a blank DVD disk in tray. Sometimes Combo optical's / DVD burners get stubborn and have to be reminded they have DVD burning software available. This can be influenced by XP's not having DVD burning software native to the OS.

7. 2007/09/23
    Barry

I have the same problem whether I use Nero or use Windows. I don't understand, as it used to work. According to Nero Tools, the configurations are correct and complete. I have been unable to burn a CD of Adobe Acrobat files, that I've burned many times before. When my work files get to the size of a CD, I like to burn a CD as backup. Any other suggestions?

8. 2007/09/24
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

If you are using a new batch of disks they may be too "modern" for the drive/s. They may even be a faulty batch of disks.
    Can the your old burnt disks be read OK? If so, look at getting a different brand of blank disks. You could investigate getting a firmware update for the drives which should allow more modern types of disks to be used, BUT, since both drives are having trouble, I suspect the media.

[Sorry, in my first reply, I thought the drives could not read any disks].

There are no problems reading manufactured disks? (Music, software, games, etc)

Matt

Last edited: 2007/09/24
  9. 2007/09/24
    Barry

Matt, you hit it on the head. When I used my 32X CDs, I was able to burn using both burners. Thanks for the answer.
    I do have a couple other related questions, though. I seem to be only able to enable CD recording on one burner at a time. After burning on one, I have to go into properties for the other and enable CD recording, before I can burn with that one. Is that normal? The other question is that I have some KHypermedia Multi Speed 48X CDs that claim to be 700MB, yet only show up as 656MB. My HI-VAL 32X CDs show 702MB. What would be the reason?
    For your information, the CDs that I had problems with are Spin-X CD-R 80 CBLH 1010.
    Thanks for the help.