1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista UAC blocking software from executing...

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by CrunchDude, 2007/09/04.

1. 2007/09/04
    CrunchDude

CrunchDude Inactive Thread Starter

Has anyone experienced something similar to this: I had installed the software that powers my Broadband Sprint card with UAC OFF, and when I decided to turn UAC back ON, it would no longer work. So I turn UAC back OFF, and sure enough, it's working again just fine.

How important or valuable is UAC really? It's quite annoying to have to constantly click to give applications permission to start, install, etc.

What do you guys think?

2. 2007/09/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Me: I've never turned off UAC, nor would I probably ever want to.

I could probably run quite safely with UAC off, but I won't do it, and won't advise users to do it.

The only thing I did to UAC is to disable that annoying 'drop' to a 'save desktop', i.e. your whole screen goes dim, and you can't do anything but approve/deny the UAC prompt. I reverted it back to earlier behavior where you get the prompt, but have a normal working desktop/system.

As for your UAC problem, I would expect such problems if you install a program with UAC switched off, but then decide to switch it on.

I suggest you make a choice: Either switch it on or off, & stick by that.

I found UAC annoying at 1st, but have gotten used to it, and specially now I have 'fixed' the biggest annoyance by changing the prompt.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/09/05
    CrunchDude

CrunchDude Inactive Thread Starter

Hey Arie, yea, that's what I thought, too, that because the whole thing was because I had it turned off when I installed the software. Made sense as it now works again with UAC on.

I've noticed you're a strong proponent of UAC. Why do you put so much emphasis on it? I can see your point as any virus would not be able to execute an app without the user knowing about it, but I really don't get viruses. Thanks...;)

5. 2007/09/05
    Ski52

Ski52 Inactive

Turn UAC off and leave it off! I get really tired of answering yes to are you sure to almost everything I do. I have Ultimate on one machine and Home Premiun on the laptop, Plus XP elsewhere. I use a wireless router behind a copper based router (spare parts) and have NO problems. I do use a virus scanner tho (NO McAfee or Nortons anything) I use Avast, but no Windows firewall of any type. Way too much overhead - for me! Been running some version of Vista since March 06 with NO ill effects. I'm on-line 24/7 (RoadRunner) and go just about anywhere I please.
    My Boss (wife) doesn't understand much about pooters, strange after 38 years, so I make it simple for when I'm not home. Go anywhere - do anything!! No problems - yet!!

BTW I have 5 boxes connected to this IP connection + a wireless connection!!

You can kill yourself with security..... and Vista will start it.....

6. 2007/09/07
    Arie

Well, I didn't think I was a strong proponent of UAC... it's just that I see a lot of people who have no clue what they are doing switching off UAC. And why? Just they get annoyed by the extra pop-up, and extra (approval) mouse click.

An important part of UAC is File and Folder visualization. This is basically 'sand boxing' your system when using non-UAC compliant applications, which in turn is a better protection against malware installs.

When you turn off UAC, files and folders are no longer virtualized and all local administrators are automatically logged in with a full administrative rights. Basically disabling UAC essentially reverts Windows Vista to the Windows XP user model.

If you know what you are doing, that's fine. I know what I'm doing, and I can live with it. But that may be because I also use Linux, where I have to su into an administrator account to do admin type stuff.

I know, UAC isn't perfect. I am of the opinion that there are still too much UAC prompts that shouldn't be there, but its a start, and leaving UAC enabled gets me used to it.

Arie,
  7. 2007/09/08
    colinlam

colinlam Well-Known Member

Hi, Arie can you explain how you did this, thanks.

8. 2007/09/09
    Arie

In regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ System

DWORD: PromptOnSecureDesktop
    Value: 0

Arie,
  9. 2007/09/09
    June Lifetime Subscription

June Well-Known Member

I also leave UAC turned on and made the change to regedit. Thanks for sharing Arie.

June,