1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista My laptop wont hibernate since doing disc cleanup

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Mel, 2007/08/23.

1. 2007/08/23
    Mel

Mel Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi there, im back with another problem. I just recently bought an acer aspire 3680 which comes with Vista home basic. i did the first disc cleanup earlier, and since then I cannot hibernate. I did find the cmd powercfg.exe command and tried it - didnt work. I think i deleted the ability to hibernate.

i tried a system restore but it wouldnt work because, well, its vista. so my questions are, how can i get hibernation back? and, how can i keep hibernation available when i do a disc cleanup in the future? should I downgrade to XP until Vista becomes more stable and reliable?

Mel,
  2. 2007/08/23
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/08/24
    Mel

i tried that stuff with no help. but the thing is, hibernate was there, and i had been using it regularly. Once i decided to do a disc cleanup to see if i could get it to run faster, it was gone.

the powercfg commands wont even recognize on my laptop either. the only thing i can think of is a system restore but that wont work. is there any way to undo a disc cleanup?

why on earth would the hibernate option be deletable anyway? Isnt that kind of... not logical?

ETA: my laptop also does not support hybrid sleep, so i know thats not it either... i tried to find hybrid sleep to no avail, but was hoping some spyware or something had enabled it & it was a quick fix.

(the error when running through dos that i get is "'powercfg' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" )

Last edited: 2007/08/24
    Mel,
  5. 2007/08/24
    Evan Omo

Hi again Mel. Thats actually very strange that command prompt didn't recognize the command. :confused: Did you right click command prompt and then choose run as administrator then try the powercfg /hibernate on command? The only reason that I can think of is that you didn't type the command correctly. Did you put a space between powercfg and the /? :confused: Anyway when I got Windows Vista I ran disk cleanup and I also deleted the hibernation file without realizing it. :eek: I ended up putting in that command in command prompt and my ability to hibernate was restored. If you are able to hibernate again I would run disk cleanup but uncheck the hibernation file cleaner. The purpose of that option being there is only for computers that don't have the ability to hibernate. I have left the hibernation file cleaner option unchecked in disk cleanup ever since I ran into that problem and I have never had any issues with hibernation. I hope I answered some of the questions you had. :) Let me know if you still can't hibernate. :rolleyes:

6. 2007/08/24
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

That's weird. When you type powercfg in the Start Search (the search box on the Start Menu), do you get any listed?

Arie,
  7. 2007/08/24
    Arie

Because a LOT of people switch off hibernation, and the hibernate file isn't removed, it has to be removed 'by hand'.

If you read the description in Disk Cleanup, it clearly states:

Arie,
  8. 2007/08/24
    Mel

so, the latest is that i was able to get back hibernation, it wouldnt work before for some reason, but i switched my start menu away from classic view (to the new vista view), and then searched for cmd (originally, i did it through command prompt, which i would think are the same anyway) i was able to get hibernation back.

so now, what files should i NOT remove during disc cleanup to keep the hibernation option available? is it a separate heading? or is it within windows temp files or something like that? (im afraid of running it again & losing the option again)

Mel,
  9. 2007/08/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

10. 2007/08/24
    Evan Omo

Like I said in my last post, if you are able to hibernate again run disk cleanup but uncheck the hibernation file cleaner option. Then disk cleanup won't delete the hibernation file. :)

11. 2007/08/25
    Arie

At least in my Vista, deleting the hibernation file is not selected by default.

12. 2007/08/25
    Mel

how did you do that? or was it just like that?

Mel,
  13. 2007/08/25
    Arie

It was the default. I've never run disk cleanup on Vista before you mentioned your problem.