1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Curious about System Restore.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by floyd, 2007/07/30.

1. 2007/07/30
    floyd

floyd Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I notice System Restore generates random Checkpoints. Why or what triggers that. Is there any rhythm or reason for when?
    Not having a problem but have always wondered about this.
    Thanks
    Floyd

2. 2007/07/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

This may satisfy your curiosity :)

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding System Restore in Windows XP

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/07/30
    floyd

floyd Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks Pete.
    Floyd

5. 2007/08/01
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Hi, thought I'd ask a question as well. I am cleaning up a computer for a new owner and noticed the SR cache size was over 2GB on a 20GB HDD . I set it back to 4% (890MB). After uninstalling and cleaning up, I found 2GB out of 6GB was restore data :eek: .

Would anyone like to suggest their settings and why?
    From Pete's link:
    Matt

6. 2007/08/01
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Matt,

I drive image the OS every ten days to two weeks.

I set SR's max size at 3% on the OS partitions - under a gig, a little over 700 MB's on a 23 gig partition, more than enough SR RP's hanging around between images.

7. 2007/08/01
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

I image my system drive incrementally (takes 4 minutes) daily and keep System Restore disabled.

Back when I did use it, I kept it set just under 1 gig. I view it as a kluge at best.

Just so you know:

I repaired a friend's computer that had 10 gigs of RP's that were orphaned and taking up drive space needlessly. Since they were hidden files by default, the user had no idea what was bloating his drive. I found that they could not be deleted by disabling/re-enabling or other common methods since it rendered an "Access denied" error at any attempt. It was necessary to assign permission to access them using the cacls command:

cacls "C:\System Volume Information" /e /g owner:f

And then delete them using ordinary means. This was on an XP Home system. Access permission can be assigned somewhat easier with XP Pro.

I was left wondering how many systems may be out there carrying this useless bloat due to some SR faux pas. :(

8. 2007/08/04
    billyarrow

billyarrow Inactive

System Restore? What System Restore.

My computer writes its share of Restore points, but if I try to use them, it goes through the motions, and then tells me the Restore has not worked.
    Anyone know what is going wrong?
    I don't know if this is connected,but of late, if I use Hotmail I always have to do a full sign in (previously it only asked now and then). I have checked and I'm set to receive Cookies.

9. 2007/08/04
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello Billy,

Try a basic remedy:

Shut SR off: My Computer > Properties > System Retore tab > Check "Turn off System Restore on all drives ".

Reboot.

Go back and re-enable SR - will create an initial restore point.

After re-establishing SR, a way to test the Restore function:

Take any executable file (extension .exe), and burn it out and/or move it to the My Documents folder and delete it from it's original location. SR does not monitor files in My Documents folder regardless of file type.

Then restore to the initial restore point created by the system; the deleted executable should be back in it's original location. Afterwards, you can delete the copy in My Documents.

FYI: The file types (extensions) SR monitors

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/sr/sr/monitoring_the_system.asp

10. 2007/08/04
    billyarrow

billyarrow Inactive

System Restore? What System Restore.

Thanks, Charles, that seems to have done the trick!

Bill Yarrow.