1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can't Install Updates

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Stretch952, 2007/07/25.

1. 2007/07/25
    Stretch952

Stretch952 Inactive Thread Starter

I had a problem with Windows and had to perform a reinstallation. I can download the updates, but can not install them??
    HELP!!

2. 2007/07/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Stretch952 - Welcome to the Board :)

You need to give a lot more detail .....

How did you reinstall Windows - a clean install with format or a repair install using a retail disk or did you use a recovery disk supplied with the computer?

Which version of XP are you using, particularly which Service Pack do you have installed - SP 1 or 2? Is this a retail or OEM disk?

How/from where did you download the updates?

What happens when you try to install them - I assume from your statemant that you downloaded them to your hard drive?

Have you activated the new installation of XP?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/07/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Copied from PM ....

Pete,
    Thanks for responding.
    The installation was a repair installation with XP pro SP2. I did not wipe the hard drive.
    The original problem occured on Mon. when I could not open an AutoCAD drawing or the AutoCAD application. I was working with a company called Image Tech to resolve that problem. We determined that it was not AutoCAD that had the problem, but the Windows operating system. With some unsuccessful investigation the decision was made to perform a repair installation. To begin with after the installation, Internet Xplorer would open but I could not use the address line to go anywhere. I could use the MSN browser to navigate however. I was eventually able to get Internet Xplorer 7 installed and was up and running. I was then able to go to the Microsoft Update site and check for updates. I installed Active X etc. and began the download of the 75 updates required. They all downloaded and then it automatically begins to install. It went quickly down the list of updates indicating that they "failed" to install. I have run two different registry cleaners and NOD32 antivirus software. everything checks out. ???
    Thanks for your time.

5. 2007/07/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

6. 2007/07/25
    Stretch952

Pete,
    The installation was a repair installation with XP pro SP2. I did not wipe the hard drive.
    The original problem occured on Mon. when I could not open an AutoCAD drawing or the AutoCAD application. I was working with a company called Image Tech to resolve that problem. We determined that it was not AutoCAD that had the problem, but the Windows operating system. With some unsuccessful investigation the decision was made to perform a repair installation. To begin with after the installation, Internet Xplorer would open but I could not use the address line to go anywhere. I could use the MSN browser to navigate however. I was eventually able to get Internet Xplorer 7 installed and was up and running. I was then able to go to the Microsoft Update site and check for updates. I installed Active X etc. and began the download of the 75 updates required. They all downloaded and then it automatically begins to install. It went quickly down the list of updates indicating that they "failed" to install. I have run two different registry cleaners and NOD32 antivirus software. everything checks out. ???

7. 2007/07/25
    Paulo22

Paulo22 Inactive

I just finished resolving that exact problem after I did a repair reinstall of XP (that included SP2). No updates could be installed on my computer after they were downloaded. I actually requested help from microsoft support (I'd heard that was difficult to obtain) and the guy responded today with the following 4 suggestions (suggestion 2 worked for me---yaaaa---hope one of them works for you):

After checking the Windows Update log which was uploaded automatically when submitting the case, I noticed that the error code 0x80004002 was encountered.

This error is most likely caused by one of the following conditions:

1. The Windows Update Temporary folder is corrupted.
    2. The Windows Update Agent 3.0 is not installed properly.
    3. The Windows Installer 3.1 is corrupted.

We can perform the following steps to get the issue resolved. After trying each suggestion, please go to the Windows Update site to check the issue. Thanks for your cooperation.

NOTE: Some third party programs can also affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when completing the update process.

Suggestion 1: Clean up Windows Update temporary folder
    ===========================================
    1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
    3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
    4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

If the issue still persists, please move on to suggestion 2.

Suggestion 2: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
    ======================================
    1. Please download the file from the following link:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7/windowsupdate/redist/standalone/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe

2. Save the file to C: drive.
    3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine.

There is a space between "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce "

Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root directory.

If it still does not work, please proceed to suggestion 3 to reinstall Windows Installer 3.1.

Suggestion 3: Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1
    ==================================
    1. Press Start and choose Run.
    2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press OK.
    3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
    MSIexec /unregister

4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
    MSIexec /regserver

After finishing the above steps, please check the result again. If the issue persists, please click Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed. If it has, please highlight and remove it. After that, please reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 from the following link.

Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&DisplayLang=en

Admin: Removed the last part of your post. We don't want to have people contact this MS support technician 'out of the blue'... People should go through the proper channels to open their own support case.

Admin. likes this.
  8. 2007/07/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Paulo22 - Welcome to the Board :)

Thanks for sharing that.

9. 2007/07/26
    Stretch952

Thanks Paulo22

I'll give those suggestions a try and let you know what happens

10. 2007/07/30
    Paulo22

Paulo22 Inactive

OK. I was quite relieved when #2 worked for me. From what I've seen just on this discussion group this problem of not being able to install updates after reinstalling SP2 is not uncommon.

11. 2007/07/30
    Stretch952

Success!!!

I went through the items in your list and #2 also worked for me. Thanks for sharing the info!!

12. 2007/08/01
    ollyk

ollyk Inactive

Thanks to Paulo for the record I have just performed the same op. and appear to have also sorted the problem after step No. 2!

13. 2007/08/01
    jaturn74

jaturn74 Inactive

I was having the same problem in getting the downloads to install properly. I came across this site and found the answer to my problem. Step #2 worked for me. Thanks for passing this on.

14. 2007/08/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

jaturn74 - Welcome to the Board :)

Glad to hear you found a solution here.

15. 2007/08/19
    Addley

Addley Inactive

Same

I have same problem and have to manually update, which is time consuming, if you find a fix, I would appreciate you passing it on.

16. 2007/08/20
    ollyk

ollyk Inactive

follow Paulos link above.

17. 2007/08/20
    Addley

Addley Inactive

fix WindowsXP automatic updates

reregister windows .dll files

turn off automatic updates
    start/run/cmd enter

regsvr32 wuweb.dll
    regsvr32 wups2.dll
    regsvr32 wups.dll
    regsvr32 wucltui.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
    regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
    regsvr32 wuapi.dll
    regsvr32 msi.dll

Turn updates back on

18. 2007/08/22
    Paulo22

Paulo22 Inactive

The following fix option duplicates my posting above, but here it is directly:

I just finished resolving that exact problem after I did a repair reinstall of XP (that included SP2). No updates could be installed on my computer after they were downloaded. I actually requested help from microsoft support (I'd heard that was difficult to obtain) and the guy responded today with the following 3 suggestions (suggestion 2 worked for me---yaaaa---hope one of them works for you):

This error is most likely caused by one of the following conditions:

1. The Windows Update Temporary folder is corrupted.
    2. The Windows Update Agent 3.0 is not installed properly.
    3. The Windows Installer 3.1 is corrupted.

We can perform the following steps to get the issue resolved. After trying each suggestion, please go to the Windows Update site to check the issue. Thanks for your cooperation.

NOTE: Some third party programs can also affect the Windows Update service. If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (Norton, McAfee, etc.), I recommend we temporarily disable or shut them down and then try accessing the Windows Update site later. Please be sure to enable them again when completing the update process.

Suggestion 1: Clean up Windows Update temporary folder
    ===========================================
    1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.
    3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.
    4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

If the issue still persists, please move on to suggestion 2.

Suggestion 2: Reinstall Windows Update Agent 3.0
    ======================================
    1. Please download the file from the following link:
    http://download.windowsupdate.com/v7...gent30-x86.exe

2. Save the file to C: drive.
    3. Click Start->Run, type: "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce" (without quotations) and then press Enter to install the Windows Update engine.

There is a space between "C:\WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe" and "/wuforce "

Note: If you are using Windows Vista, please save the downloaded file to the D: drive, because the file cannot be launched directly from the C: root directory.

If it still does not work, please proceed to suggestion 3 to reinstall Windows Installer 3.1.

Suggestion 3: Reinstall Windows Installer 3.1
    ==================================
    1. Press Start and choose Run.
    2. Type in "cmd" (without quotation marks) and press OK.
    3. In the command line, type in the following command and press Enter:
    MSIexec /unregister

4. Then, type in the following command and press Enter:
    MSIexec /regserver

After finishing the above steps, please check the result again. If the issue persists, please click Start, click Control Panel, and click Add/Remove Programs to check if Windows Installer 3.1 has been installed. If it has, please highlight and remove it. After that, please reinstall Windows Installer 3.1 from the following link.

Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable (v2)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Hope one of these options helps.
    Paulo

19. 2007/08/23
    Addley

Addley Inactive

Found another fix

Thank for the info but reregiestring the .dll files worked fine, i will however keep this info for futre reference

Thomas

Last edited: 2007/08/23
  20. 2007/09/09
    kiwicolin

kiwicolin Inactive

Worked for me too.

Option two solved my hair pulling out problems too.

Thank you once again!

21. 2007/09/10
    Paulo22

Paulo22 Inactive

You're welcome. I'm glad it's helping people. One would think that a White Paper would be written on that specific issue because so many people seem to need it after reinstalling SP2 on XP. Do good.

chuckmg likes this.