1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

computer reboots at win xp login screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mva5493, 2007/07/25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2007/07/25
    mva5493

mva5493 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

First I would like to say thank you, I came here in February with a different computer as with much help and patience from everyone here, it is running smoothly and is virus/worm/trojan free.

I have a second computer, not mine that a friend asked me to see if I can fix. The first problem started on the internet, lots of pop-ups. She didn't know what to do with the computer so it has been off for the last couple of months. I haven't gotten it past the login screen yet. When I start it up it gets to the login screen, but either freezes before I put the password in or if it allows me to put in the password it reboots. She also told me that it was giving her low virtual memory errors at the login screen. I suspect at least one virus, she was on the internet continously with no virus/security software at all. I tried to start in safe mode, but f8 gives me bios not windows safe mode.

2. 2007/07/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

What is the make of the computer? - possible that another key is used.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/07/25
    mva5493

It is a Dell Dimension 2350 running win xp pro

5. 2007/07/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Something very strange going on there - I can find no reference to Dell's using any key other than F8 for Safe Mode. Possible that the keyboard has a fault - try another. If you still cannot get into Safe Mode .....

Suggest you check the signal lights on the rear of the case and then run Dell Diagnostics as outlined here ....

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2350/advanced.htm#1118998

Do you have the Dell installation CD for XP?

6. 2007/07/25
    mva5493

the lights are all green when it gets to the login screen. And stay green after it reboots. I tried a different keyboard, no change. I have a re-installation cd not the original. It is the disk that came with the computer (says dell on the label)

7. 2007/07/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I have some thoughts on this, but would rather have a second opinion first - stay with us :)

8. 2007/07/25
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

If you have a floppy drive on both computers you can download a Safe Mode Boot Floppy that I have made that might be useful in this situation. The download is an executable file. Download it to your Desktop or elsewhere as you prefer. Then place a blank floppy in your drive and double-click the download. It will then create the boot floppy. Tesy it on your computer by booting with it in the drive. If your boot sequence is set to read the floppy drive 1st, you should get a menu offering to Safe Boot several possible partitions. Choose the first one since that's the most common place for XP to reside. You should get booted into a Safe Mode session of Windows.

Download XP Safe Mode Boot Floppy Creator

I also have that in a CD version if you don't have the floppy drives so ask if you need that.

9. 2007/07/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The other suggestion I received was to go through the sequence of hitting each F key in turn on subsequent boots and see if anything happens re. showing a boot menu. Bit Micky Mouse I know, but neither I nor Rockster have come across this before :)

10. 2007/07/26
    mva5493

it has taken me a little while to get back on, but life gets in the way sometimes. I have downloaded the file and will give it a shot. I tried going through each function key and the only one that does anything is f8, but it goes to the phoenix bios setup file as well as dell diagnostics...trying the flppy

11. 2007/07/26
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Generally F8 takes you to Advanced boot menu, Delete key takes you to BIOS ...........hmmm, what happens if you hit Delete at startup?

Puzzled as well :confused:

12. 2007/07/26
    mva5493

I didn't have any luck yet with the floppy, computer says non system disk when I tried to use it. will try again, I did get it to load in safe mode (I had to shut it down when it looked up, and it gave me the message that it wasn't shut down properly so it booted in safe mode. Almost immediately after it loaded I got an error messge saying that the system was shutting down with a 1 minute countdown. It says that rpc service has unexpectedly terminated. and that nt athority/system was halting the system. I got a second window that says windows has detected a spyware infection and to click to download special tools to remove (it doesn't actually let me click on anything, it freezes, shuts down, or tells me that virtual memory is to low to run program. None of the function keys go anywhere except bios, cmos, or dell diagnostics.

13. 2007/07/27
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Sounds almost like a combination of Blaster and Smitfraud. If you can get it to boot again, as soon as you're able to, open the task manager and click File>New Task (run)> type cmd and hit enter. In the command window, type shutdown -a and hit enter (make sure you leave a space after shutdown). That should stop the NTAUTHORITY shutdown.

See this topic as well.

http://windowsbbs.com/showpost.php?p=148033&postcount=2

If you can get SmitfraudFix by S!Ri to a floppy and transfer to the drive, then extract and run using the clean option, you may get a successful normal boot.

http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

14. 2007/07/27
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

F8 is Microsoft's way of going to the boot menu, but unfortunately some manufacturers also use it to get into BIOS. This creates a lot of confusion as now the timing of hitting the F8 key determines whether you land up in BIOS setup or Windows Boot Menu. Timing is the key here. Hit it too soon & you get the BIOS screen, hit it too late & nothing happens (as Windows has already started booting), hit it in between & presto - you get the Boot menu.

15. 2007/07/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Interesting comment ...
    Can you elaborate on this? This list of BIOS keys does not mention that possibility.

16. 2007/07/27
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Yes, I would be most interested in an explanation/elaboration too. ASUS uses an F8 key on some motherboards early in the startup process to provide a menu of potential boot devices, but Microsoft ????? -This is new news to me. (see below)

As to MVA5493's problem, it may be possible to force the advanced boot menu option by rapidly tapping a single key or holding down a key during the boot process, thereby forcing a keyboard error which in turn should throw one to the advanced boot menu.

The fact that using a different keyboard produces the same behavior would rule out a spill or a short in the keyboard itself but if you are using a PS2 keyboard and have a short in the port, any keyboard will behave similarly. Perhaps you should consider trying a USB keyboard if you have been using a PS2 or vice-versa if you have been using a USB keyboard. At least this would rule out the port itself.

;)

edit: Additional after thought ............ And, if you are using a USB keyboard with a PS2 adapter - don't. Try a regular PS2 keyboard with no adapter.

Second Edit: I should explain - we all know F8 is and always has been the way to get to the advanced boot menu with options, but in the above, ASUS permits device selection if F8 is hit early enough in the startup process. A re-read makes this quite confusing the way I originally worded things but I'll leave well enough alone.

Last edited: 2007/07/27
  17. 2007/07/27
    surferdude2

surferdude2 Inactive

The boot floppy will work if you do it right. I suspect that you copied the download file to the floppy. That is not the way it works. You must double click on the download and it will instruct you from that point on. It is an executable file that will perform the job of constructing the boot floppy. All you have to do is supply the disk when asked.

18. 2007/07/27
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

I have not seen of the list of BIOS keys [yet], but I have seen enough computers to know that there is no standardisation for accessing the BIOS setup. This happens more in branded computers (they have to be different in order to sell) than unbranded or home made computers.

F8 key has been used by Microsoft to access Windows Boot menu (& not BIOS/CMOS setup of the computer) .http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

19. 2007/07/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The problem here is that the poster hits F8 and it takes him into the BIOS - all other keys have been tried and none will get to the Boot Menu screen.

I understand exactly what you are saying regarding entering the BIOS on various makes as the detail in the URL I posted shows - but F8 is not among the keys listed.

20. 2007/07/27
    mva5493

wow lots of action while I was away from computer....I did download the file and put in the floopy when requested. I have not tried it a second time yet.

I was tapping the f8 key too soon, I am now able to get into safe mode, I didn't know that was even possible. Have used f8 lots of times before with no problem.. So I appologize for being a bit to fast
    now.. I am still having some problems with it shutting down at the login screen. It is sometimes logging in others, rebooting immediately.

21. 2007/07/27
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Can you give us an update on the computer's behavior? Last you mentioned was after logging on in safe mode, you got an NT Authority shutdown. Have you followed through with anything I suggested here?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.