1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Resizing Partitions in Vista

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Purple Haze, 2007/05/18.

1. 2007/05/18
    Purple Haze Lifetime Subscription

Purple Haze Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Not sure if this is a Vista question or a utilities software one. I have an 80gig drive with about a 50g/30g partition split. I'm needing more space on the "C" drive partition. I've used Partition Magic 8 on WinXP and it worked fine, but I'm not getting a warm fuzzy from now-owner Symantec that PM will work on Vista, or if they'll even make a product that will. My question, then: Is there a way, within Vista, to resize the primary partition by taking size from the extended one? Or is there another 3d-party utility to do that with? Thanks in advance.:)

2. 2007/05/18
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

The short answer is that Vista has the ability to do this built in. You can probably hit the Help button and get additional info.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/05/18
    Purple Haze Lifetime Subscription

Purple Haze Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Steve, Been there, done that..........no go. The option to "extend volume" is greyed out. Not sure if I have guts enough to try it 'command line.' Wanted to garner some other expertise first.

5. 2007/05/18
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

6. 2007/05/18
    Paul

Paul Inactive

At last. Windows allowing these functions to be performed natively.
    I was going to suggest (and still will), Partition Logic. I have not used it, but it looks like a good little proggy?
    http://partitionlogic.org.uk/

Paul,
  7. 2007/05/26
    mcintire2 Lifetime Subscription

mcintire2 Well-Known Member

As long as you're not using the 64-bit version, you can use Paragon Partition Manager. I've used it myself, and it worked great. As far as I've been able to find out, it's the only Partition Manager Microsoft Certified to work on Vista 32-bit. They are working on a 64-bit patch as we speak.

http://www.paragon-software.com

8. 2007/05/26
    Mr. Fix It

Mr. Fix It Inactive

LUCKY FOR YOU, I was alerted to your problem. You may want to write this down. The best way to extend a partition >> and this is guaranteed to work for any version of Vista and even XP-SP2 and for you freak'n Windows 98-2nd edition hold-outs >> and like I said, you may want to write this down because it is complicated and you may only have one shot at it >> but the trick is to go to the nearest Micro Center (I recommend ) or Best Buy if that is all you have >> and this is where it gets tricky, and like I said you need to be writing this down because if you ***** it up, you might as well say FDISK >> THE BEST WAY and the fasted way to extend a partition (active or not) >> I want to also mention, it happens very fast >> you really need to be paying attention or you might miss it >> THE BEST WAY TO EXTEND ANY PARTITION IS TO gotothestoreandbuyanadditionalharddrive-theyarecheap >> attach it to your computer format it, and give it the drive letter of your choice - like "Z" - name it after me, "Mr. Fix It ". PROBLEM SOLVED. Glad I could help. Let me know if it works - I've never had a problem.

9. 2007/05/29
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Lucky for us you don't post much.

10. 2007/05/29
    Mr. Fix It

Mr. Fix It Inactive

Gee Whiz Boss Man

... have a sense of humor. You know I'm right. They don't call me Mr. Fix It for nothing ... :)

11. 2007/05/30
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

I wasn't reacting to your advice, which under certain circumstances makes sense - if the C drive is 20 to 40 gigs, that range is a good size for Vista's OS only partition.

What I was reacting to was your tone which I didn't find humerous. If you have arguements to make, then make them w/o being condescending.

12. 2007/05/30
    Mr. Fix It

Mr. Fix It Inactive

... please accept my apology. No harm or insult intended ...