1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Defrag using vista?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Marv6, 2007/05/08.

1. 2007/05/08
    Marv6 Lifetime Subscription

Marv6 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Since Vista defrag apparently does not permit selecting individual drives to defrag, will Windows ME defrag work in Vista? Is there a way to defrag individual drives using Windows Vista?

Thanks

2. 2007/05/08
    uhaligani

uhaligani Inactive

You can run, on the "RUN" Defrag.exe /C: (for example) and it will then only, in that example, defrag C:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/05/08
    rshol

rshol Inactive

5. 2007/05/08
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member

Hi Marv6,

You should try the built in defrag command, there is no need for a third party tool, and it seems to me that Vista doesn't need too much defragging. I have been running it since the release and it is still only 4% fragmented.

Run the command line " defrag c:\ -a " -and it will return an answer as to how much the volume is fragmented. (The -a tells it to analyse 'C'.)

If you run defrag c:\ it will defrag just the 'C' volume.

Roger:D

6. 2007/05/08

Thanks all for the advice. Will try using the command line again. Somehow it did not previously work? Am trying to defrag some of my external drives, which worked just fine under 98SE and XP.

7. 2007/05/08

Must be doing something wrong. When I run defrag in the command line nothing happens???

8. 2007/05/09

Hi Marv,

When you say nothing happens, does that mean absolutely nothing? It has to be run as administrator, and it needs a bit of time. When you hit 'Enter' you should get a line up which says "Windows Disk Defragmenter" and a copyright note, is that happening?

I don't know if you are, like me, the impatient type, but the first time I ran it it took over a minute to give the answer. If you try it again you can monitor the CPU activity with the Task Manager to see if anything at all happens.

Roger:confused:

9. 2007/05/09

Thanks Roger ,

I go to run, type in the command and I get a quick flash on the screen, but nothing else happens. I used the commands referenced in this thread. I am using Vista Home Premium in a new computer. I may need to try the 3rd party program referenced in this thread. I like to defrag my external hard drives occassionally without having to do all the drives at once. Works just fine in XP

Marvin

10. 2007/05/09

Hi Marv,

No, you can't do it from 'Run' it has to be a command line. To find cmd.exe go to Vista - System32 - and scroll right down until you find cmd, it isn't a file, just a little application of 313 kb with a small picture of the command window. Right click on that and create a shortcut which you can move to the desktop, and from there to the quick launch toolbar.
    That'll work!

Roger:cool:

11. 2007/05/09

Roger, thanks, when I get home I will try it.

Marvin

12. 2007/05/09
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

Or go to Start>Run, type "cmd" (without the quotes), click OK (or press the Enter key). Then type defrag c:\ -a and press the Enter key.

Miz,
  13. 2007/05/09

The program tells me that I need an administrator command prompt to run it. What is that? I am the only user of this computer?

Marvin

14. 2007/05/09

Right click on the shortcut, and check 'Run as administrator' Marv.

Roger;)

15. 2007/05/10

Roger and Miz, thanks for the information. Did what you suggested and I can now defrag my external drives without defraging the entire system. Thanks for all of your help.

Marvin