1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Installing Vista, get ACPI-compliant error

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by seventhdaybass, 2007/04/21.

1. 2007/04/21
    seventhdaybass

seventhdaybass Inactive Thread Starter

I am running 2000 Professional and am trying to upgrade to Vista. The only thing standing in my way is this error of being ACPI compliant!!! I know that it is the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface and controls the power side of the computer through the OS, but don't know how I go about updating mine to be compliant.... Do I need to buy a new driver of some sort? Or is there a simple download? I can't run the Vista Upgrade Advisor program to see what it says because I am not running XP and it only runs on XP...PLEASE HELP!!!!!

2. 2007/04/21
    Paul

Paul Inactive

There IS a simple download, but not without risks, albeit a small risk.
    You probably need to visit the motherboards site and look for any newer BIOS for your EXACT motherboard model. In the BIOS bootup screen you will see the revision of your current BIOS, so you can check for later versions on the vendors site, and there should be info on what has been fixed/improved. You should be able to flash straight to the latest version if there are a few updates, but check the documentation on this. There are various ways to update your BIOS depending on the motherboard, so you will have to research the update procedure and note any warnings. Although I've updated BIOS on various computers without issue.

Paul,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/04/22
    seventhdaybass

I searched the website for a BIOS update and turned up with nothing that helps. I don't exactly know what I'm searching for. Can anyone help out?

My motherboard is a Tyan S1854.... ROM PCI/ISA BIOS (TYAN1854) is at the top of the BIOS page in the setup menu on startup...

5. 2007/04/23
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Hi seventhdaybass,
    Thanks for the PM, but you should keep this post in the public domain, as others may have a similar motherboard and will probably be more useful than me. :eek:
    I had a quick look at the Tyan s1854 board which is known as a Trinity 400 and I have to tell you, it's rather OLD for Vista, and there may be more than BIOS issues to contend with. It's a socket 370 board, so only supports Celeron, Pentium 2 or 3 chips.
    You will be pushing things to even run Vista with any satisfaction on a P3 chip.
    What are the rest of your system specs. I.E. processor, RAM and Graphics card? You will need at least 512MB of RAM to run just Vista Basic, and a fairly new graphics card if you want to run any version other than Basic for the Aero desktop graphics. Plus 1GB+ of system RAM. To much system RAM is wasted on slower systems.
    On the face of it you would be better off running XP with 512MB RAM. Much more may be a waste unless it's lying around.
    Here are the Minimum requirements as specified by Microsoft. Note minimum doesn't mean recommended!

The latest BIOS for your board is still 7 years old. Not looking promising.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/systemrequirements.mspx

Last edited: 2007/04/23
    Paul,
  6. 2007/04/23
    seventhdaybass

Thank You very much for doing all of that research. I know NOTHING about sockets and I figured it was an old motherboard since it came from work and I couldn't find any updates for it... I'll just end up getting a new motherboard.
    Any suggestions for motherboards?? My video and sound cards are both new, I'm sitting at my desk at work, so dont know exacts but they aren't the highest of grades of cards. I have 80Gb worth of Hard drive space. (Would that hard drive be of any use to a up-to-date motherboard? Or am I gonna have to replace that too?)
    I don't need anything spectacular, just something to surf the net and let my lady play a couple little games like tetris. I like my music, and we use the computer as the primary source for music, but other than that no hardcore games with the latest and greatest graphics are being played. I use the wonderful XBOX 360 for that. Now, I have noticed that you can connect the PC with the XBOX and would like to learn more about that.

Are there any good motherboards that would be suitable for my likings?

Thanks again for all your help Paul, You've saved me a lot of heartache

7. 2007/04/23
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Anything you have for your current system (with the Tyan/Trinity board) is basically useless if you want to run Vista.

Your Video card (which is probably a PCI card) would most likely not be good enough to run Vista, maybe you could use the sound card (although almost all new motherboards come with on-board sound).

I suggest you stay with Windows 2000.

Arie,