1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Are notebook PC screens pretty much the same?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Roger at CCCC, 2007/04/09.

1. 2007/04/09
    Roger at CCCC

Roger at CCCC Inactive Thread Starter

I'm thinking about buying a new notebook PC and I noticed in the last Best Buy sale flier that:
    Toshiba has a "Trubrite" screen,
    HP has a "Brightview" screen, and
    Gateway has a "Ultrabrite" screen.

Do these names have any significance? I realize that these names are simply trademarks, but is there any real difference in the brightness or clarity of the screens from these or other PC makers? Or are they all pretty much the same by now?

Thanks in advance for any response.

2. 2007/04/10
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Yea... all these XXX-brite screens are completely worthless AFAIC.

These are the shiny (glass-like) screens, and I can't believe people find these useful.

OK, if you use incandescent lighting it's ok to use, but in an office with overhead lighting the reflection can be annoying. Take it outside in bright sunlight and it's great......as a mirror!

Luckily Dell still seems to offer 'normal' displays as a choice... for how long they will 'hold out'...

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/04/10
    Roger at CCCC

Roger at CCCC Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks, Arie, for your comments. I thought these "bright" screens were BETTER than the normal one. The normal screens all seem dim to me and you can't see them from a very wide field of view. Are there any screens that are brighter without being too reflective and that can also be seen from a wider field of view?

Thanks again for any comments.

5. 2007/04/11
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

LED & LCD screens are designed for and best viewed at 90 degrees, directly facing the screen. Move to the side slightly and what you see is impaired. The same effect is apparant when viewing cheaper LED TV screens. Believe it or not, the most costly hardware to produce (manufacturing) on a laptop is the screen.

6. 2007/04/11
    Chiles4

Chiles4 Inactive

I'm not sure these monikers refer to shiny, glass-like screens because HP and Dell use these sort of names and the LCDs on their laptops are matte-finish, not glossy. My thought it that these names are simply marketing nonsense. I think what they're trying to "push" is that "our screens are very bright even though you're running on battery power "...or something.

The only laptop I've seen that has a shiny, glass-like screen is a Toshiba laptop and I absolutely loved it. I'd love to have that finish on my desktop's LCD but I don't even know of any desktop LCD that comes "shiny ". I have two 19" LCDs and they're both matte finish. :( They're very crisp but they simply don't grab you like a shiny screen.

But yes, I realize that glare must be much worse on the shiny screen than the standard matte screen.

7. 2007/04/11
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello Roger,

I have a Brightview HP. Ultra Brightview has an extra light source behind the screen, and I decided not worth the extra cost.

It is shiny and a problem with reflection, and like Chiles, I like it better than the matte finish.

Regards - Charles

8. 2007/04/12
    Chiles4

Chiles4 Inactive

I'm currently looking for a new laptop now and I went to Dell for a "home" laptop. Interestingly, glossy LCDs come standard on their high-end laptop that starts at $1300.

9. 2007/04/14
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I choose the entry laptop Inspiron 1501 (Mobile AMD Sempronâ„¢ 3500+ (1.8GHz/512KB)) http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DNCWHA1&s=dhs

and it has the 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLifeâ„¢(glossy) available for $10 extra.

It's true (and disturbing to me) that they are standard on the higher end laptops, but I would just order from their small-business portal, where they don't even offer glossy screens :)

Arie,
  10. 2007/04/14
    drforbes

drforbes Inactive

HDTV Monitors are Great

I had dual LCD Monitors from HP-w22. For Christmas, my wife bought me a 26 inche HDTV Monitor. I use only 1 of my DVI outputs and you would not believe how sharp it is unless you saw it yourself. It was on sale at Future Shop and cost about a 3rd. of a regular PC Monitor. Give it a try and I bet you'll never look back!:)

11. 2007/04/15
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

At the risk of muddying the waters, in November 2006 I bought a 19" NEC MultiSync 90GX2-BK LCD monitor, which has a glossy screen. The display was among the crispest I've ever seen but, even though my computer room has indirect incandescent lighting, I knew within minutes of installing the monitor that I could never work with it because of the screen's unacceptable reflectivity.

Fortunately, the vendor was willing to accept a return, and I exchanged the NEC for the 19" matte screen Viewsonic VP930b LCD that I had previously been considering.

Having used both, the matte screen wins, hands down.