1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Net printing

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by e64, 2007/04/06.

1. 2007/04/06
    e64

e64 Inactive Thread Starter

hi

got a strange problem with windows and printing issue, below is the same local network (2*98se + 1*xp) and the same printer (oki 321 microline):

One thing is that an lpt printer works fine on two win98se computers, but only locally. While sharing it through the local net from one the another it prints some strange stuff.

The second thing is that I can't get lpt printer (I need dos printing) to work on win xp I just get an error mes while sending something to it, doesn't matter if it's from the dos program or a windows one. Ohh and when I connect a different printer (windows one, KonicaMinoltaPagePro13..) it works fine.

And it's not a printer (oki 321 microline) issue, cause it works fine on other computers and netoworks.

e64,
  2. 2007/04/06
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

As workaround, not a solution, try print to file, usually an option when a window/menu appears when printing. The file can then be sent to the machine attached to the printer and printed in a cmd/command window by copy filemane.prn prn. This works only with lpt printers, not with usb.

The printer may need newer drivers to work with XP, so chech with rhe manufacturer online.

Win98 doesn't handle USB unless you have second edition.

Last edited: 2007/04/06

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/04/06
    e64

the printer is an lpt one. As I said earlier it prints correctly as a locall printer so I guess the printing to a file will work ok, but if I would then send itto a network printer it will be corupted.

e64,
  5. 2007/04/06
    bbbobins

bbbobins Banned

I have seen this when the printer drivers are mismatched. Only a slight mismatch will cause this. So watch for the name Oki 321 and 321 Plus are not the same. Get correct driver.

Unshare the shared printer then uninstall it. Uninstall it from all other computers.

Download from OkiData 2 drivers for this printer. One for Win98 and the other for XP.

Then install the win98 driver that you downloaded on the 98 machine that has the printer attached now. Share it as OKI.

After it is working locally go to other 98 machine to Add Network printer, browse to the shared OKI and install. This should acertain that you have matching printer drivers.

Only after the two 98 machines are working correctly. Install the XP driver for the Oki printer locally on the XP. Tell it to use LPT1 even though the printer is not physically attached. Of course do not do a test print yet (or you can actually connect up the printer and test print).

Once XP has printer installed. Add network printer thru browse to the XP machine as another Oki printer.

For the dos printing from the XP after printer is installed:

cmd prompt, type net use lpt1 \\name of computerthat has printer\printer share name.

This will allow the XP machine to print directly to an LPT port.

Bob

6. 2007/04/07
    e64

there is a small problem the oki data page says that the best and newest drivers are already in winXP and win98, so I cannot update them. And for the time being both win98se computers have the correct and the same driver for oki 321 microline.

e64,
  7. 2007/04/07
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I personally gave up ALL SHARING years ago. I installed a Router and a Printer that plugs directly into it. That makes each of the three machines a 100% standalone unit. Between my Wife and I and the Nieces and Nephews from next door the units spend several hours a day either online or playing games between them. I just have to remember to not shut the Router, Modem and Prrinter down.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2007/04/07