1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Workaround for lack of DVD support in Vista Business/Basic

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Paul, 2007/03/08.

1. 2007/03/08
    Paul

Paul Inactive Thread Starter

I have had an issue in Vista Business edition where WMP 11 wouldn't play DVD natively, because MS didn't include an MPEG-2 decoder in the Business or Basic editions. I have Nero 7 installed that gives DVD playback ability using Nero Showtime, but I want to use WMP 11 to play DVD content, and for some reason the Nero MPEG-2 CODEC wasn't recognised by WMP 11. Installing a trial version of WinDVD gave WMP 11 DVD capabilities, but on uninstalling the programme, DVD ability ceased.
    The workaround is to install the free K-Lite CODEC pack Full. I didn't want all the CODEC alternatives installed by default, so I unticked everything, then ticked the Cyberlink MPEG-2 codec install. Nothing else was installed. DVD's now play using WMP 11.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

The audio level is low in WMP 11, but I think this is an unrelated issue?

Last edited: 2007/03/08
    Paul,
  2. 2007/03/09
    Fang

Fang Inactive

I use to do the same type of thing with XP and earlier versions of media player buy installing Power DVD and then it would allow WMP to play dvd's.
    This is what I call "lets jerk the public around and confuse the ones that dont know what to do if they wanna watch a dvd and then make em spend more money ".:p

Fang,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/03/14
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

Thanks Paul,
    I just hit this problem and your post gave me the solution straight away. I installed the media player too and that seems to work fine. No problem with volume for me: Brotherhood of the Wolf is playing fine at the moment :D

Correction: actually the sound is quiet. It's OK for personal viewing with the volume cranked up and will suit me fine. But it might not suit everyone