1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

PPS & JPG files in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by bsilverfox, 2007/02/11.

1. 2007/02/11
    bsilverfox

bsilverfox Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a relatively new HP a1540n with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and OE 6.00.2900.2180(xpsp_sp2_). Whenever I get one of the above listed files as an attachment and try to open it, I get an error message: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the "folders control panel ". I can open these files by copying them to desktop and using Windows Office Power Point Viewer 2003 for the PPS and my Kodak Easyshare Software for the jpg. I have never had to do this before with previous desktops including my last one which had XP Home and a version of OE6. Can anyone help with how one creates an association so the files can be opened directly from OE rather than going through the nuisance step I am currently using. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. 2007/02/23
    sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr Banned

"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Cteate an association in the folder options control panel" = scroll to find out how to "create an association ". = http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/02/23
    bsilverfox

bsilverfox Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Follow Up

Thank you for your response. I did check and the JPG files are associated with my Kodak Easy Share software and they open with the Kodak program OUTSIDE Outlook Express. Some of the emails I have now with jpg attachments have the Kodak Logo as their icon along with their title in the "attach" file line in OE. However, when I click to open I still get the same notice-- "No association--create an association ". As soon as I save them to desktop I can go and open the file but they refuse to open in OE. I tried changing the association to "Microsoft Picture Viewer" to no avail--the files will still not open in OE. When I right click on these jpg (and jif) files in OE the only menu options are "open" -which doesn't work-- "print" , "save" which I can use to take them to desktop and open them--and "save all" which I haven't used. I am not really technically inclined but I have been using OE for years with no less than 5 different desktops and have never encountered this problem before. I have not gone to HP Tech Support because they seem to be a "One Solution Fits All Problems" department. Their solution to any propblem is:
    "save your data files and wipe and reload everything ". No Thanks! Thank you again Sultan for responding.