1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Visited Links Not Changing Color

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by SirJOW, 2007/01/19.

1. 2007/01/19
    SirJOW

SirJOW Inactive Thread Starter

Hello,

I was writing about a problem that I encountered over the past 2 weeks or so that is incredibly annoying.

When I am reading a message board (including this one), click links on a website, or links on google (for example) the links do not change color to show them as visited!

This used to work fine as of maybe a week or two ago, in fact, many of my clicked links from that time on certain webpages/bulletin boards are still appearing as "viewed." However, new links are not changing colors when clicked! It is very problematic keeping track of where I am in lists; particularly message boards.

Anyway, if anyone can help me, here are my details:

IE: Internet Explorer 7
    - Browsing history is set to save 20 days
    - I have tried deleting temporary internet files manually with no luck

Thank you in advance for any tips/suggestions!

2. 2007/01/20
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Does hitting F5 to refresh the screen make any difference?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/01/20
    SirJOW

Thanks for the reply Steve.

No, I have tried that out with no result either. I am thinking about maybe re-installing Explorer 7 from scratch...need to see how to do it online somewhere. Apparently I'm the only person having this problem.:(

5. 2007/01/21
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Tool->Options->General tab->Apperance "colors" button.

Is the Use Windows Colors selected or is Visited/UnVisited set to the same color?

6. 2007/01/21
    SirJOW

Yes, it's set to use Windows Colors. I have also tried unclicking it with no results. The visted and unvisited links are set to different colors when Use Window Colors is unchecked.

7. 2007/01/21
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Default is Red (Visited) and Blue (Unvisited). Change one of them to something else and click OK in that window then OK and OK and see what happens.

8. 2007/01/22
    SirJOW

Thanks for the suggestion MrBill.

Still no effect though. I think I will read up on how to re-install explorer and do that one day when I have the time...it is going to **** I'm sure:(

9. 2007/01/30
    jerrylv3

jerrylv3 Inactive

I'm having the same problem. Restarting hasn't helped. Using old restore point doesn't help. All I can remember was clearing my temp internet files right before it happened.

Going to try and run my adaware programs.

Windows XP
    IE 7.0

10. 2007/01/31
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

This is a guess, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if IE doesn't decide whether a link is to a site you've visited by comparing the site's URL with URLs it has saved in its history files. If the site URL is in your history files, you've visited the site, and IE shows the link as visited. If the site URL not in your history, then you've not been to the site before, and IE shows the link as not visited.

If I was coding IE, that's how I would do it. You have to keep a record of sites visited to maintain the visited status - so why not use the ones already there in history.

If I am right, deleting your temporary internet files will delete your history and no sites will appear as "visited ". Also if the system stops working and doesn't show visited status for recently visited site, then a cause could be that you've filled up your temporary internet files capacity and therefore new ones aren't going into the history.

11. 2007/01/31
    jerrylv3

jerrylv3 Inactive

Yes it worked! Deleting the History fixed the problem! Thanks!

On IE 7.0 click Tools->Internet Options->(In browsing history section) click Delete and then the "Delete history" button.