1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

iertutil.dll was not found

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alibaba, 2006/12/31.

1. 2006/12/31
    alibaba

alibaba Inactive Thread Starter

Hi , I am running windows xp home edition ,on 30 /12/ 2006 ,microsoft updated IE ,when the instalation finished I tried to check my email without succes so tried to rollback but error message came up saying ( this application has failed to start because iertutil.dll was not found reinstalling the application may fix this problem ) prior to IE update no problem at all , now can't access my computer only the mouse and wallpaper , sent microsoft an email but no reply , can anyone please help me I am just a beginner don,t know what to do and thanks to all of you.

2. 2006/12/31
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Morning alibaba

Your error is showing up in Email but is an IE7 issue.

This comes from not so much a buggy IE7 (which is new and has some bugs) but from a buggy IE7 install process thru win update.

It also has issues with some toolbars such as google and yahoo.

While fixing this (via reinstall) you may want to uninstall these if you have them. Then put them back after IE and Outlook Express work properly.

Many are just reinstalling IE7 but you can try downloading the DLL from the 1st link below and if that don't work. Then download IE7 and reinstall.

Get the DLL
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/pop.php?iertutil

Info on this issue
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/spywaresucks/archive/2006/08/05/106769.aspx

Good luck,

Mike

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/01/01
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

The below was sent to me by email. I informed alibaba to keep it on the thread and return here to continue.

Mike

5. 2007/01/01
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

OK tell me what you did!

You had 2 options.

1. Download and replace the dll or

2. Download and reinstall IE7

Which did you do and did you do more.

No obvious reason to use a ISP CD here (usually never a good idea especially if it is one of those that force other **** on you) anyway.

Before we continue get us more details.

Mike

6. 2007/01/01
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

The version of iertutil.dll hosted in the above link is not the version released by Microsoft for IE 7 Final.

It has the wrong date, time, and version stamp of 5470 instead of what Microsoft released, which was version 5730, and has the wrong internal information, listing itself as an application extension instead of properly as a run-time module.

It is against your EULA to use Microsoft DLLs from non-Microsoft services.
    It is illegal for these sites to host them.
    You can easily get infected.
    You can easily try to use the wrong version and make your machine stop starting.

If a core XP module is missing the answer is to use SFC.EXE to replace it. Not to play Russian Roullete with internet downloads.

To repair missing or mis-versioned OS files:
    Start, Run, sfc /Scannow

Last edited: 2007/01/01