1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Using a USB memory stick to run programs on a hotel computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ackerberg, 2006/12/16.

1. 2006/12/16
    ackerberg

ackerberg Inactive Thread Starter

I have purchase a 4GB USB memory stick and was wondering if this is possible and if anyone has tried it.
    I would like to put Firefox, SeaMonkey or Thunderbird on the memory stick using the zipped version so there is no installation procedure. I would like to insert the memory stick in a strange computer running Windows, perhaps one in a hotel. Could I run these programs by simply double clicking the executable? I don't see why not since it will run in the computers memory? If I wanted to run the mail program in SeaMonkey or Thunderbird, I could put the profile on the memory stick and point the program to the file?
    Anyone have any ideas about this or a reference?
    Thanks.

2. 2006/12/16
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member

Ackerberg,

I've never tried to run programs from a standard data flash drive so I can't help you there. However, I do use a U3 flash drive that does all those things. http://www.u3.com/ I have Firefox and all my settings and favorites so I can use the host PC as though it were my own and leave no tracks. Mine is only a 1 GB flash but I have only used about 1/4 of it. I carry a zipped copy of OpenOffice on the U3 that I could install on a host computer. I don't have the operational version of OO on my U3 as it takes about 400 or so KB. I have also installed the Avast U3 AV for my protection and it runs a virus scan of the host computer at startup to alert me to any potential problems.

I am often helping others with their computer problems so the U3 has been a lifesaver to me. I will probably move to a larger U3 soon. They really don't cost much more than the straight data flash drives.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/12/16
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

5. 2006/12/17
    ackerberg

Thanks for the information. Whiskeyman,that first website is awesome and led me to this website
    http://portableapps.com/
    wihich developed a whole suite of applications to put on a USB stick. This was just completed in November. Guess I just bought the USB stick at the right time, lucky!

6. 2006/12/22
    N8399

N8399 Inactive

An Operating System on a usb drive can be invaluable with the following caveats listed in no particular order especially on computers with unknown specs.
    1.USB boot and usb2 capability are uncertain. A bootable CD as a backup also loads much faster e.g.10min v. 60min than a ~ 350+MB usb2 OS containing complete Open Office and other apps. 120-160X usb2 flash memory may decrease OS load times ~50%.
    2.USB OS transferred to volatile memory is great for security but again can be an issue for a memory challenged computer. USB drive BartPE less than 256MB is suggested for this reason. OS transfer to HDD may defeat the usb OS purpose.
    Other users are welcome to add their experience. Let us know how the OS on a usb drive works for you. ;)

7. 2006/12/22
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I don't know if an OS on a memory stick or cd would work in this case. Maybe, maybe not. I can't imagine any public computers being set up in a way that would allow you to boot from a cd, memory stick or even a floppy disk for that matter. Way to much of a security risk in my opinion. What would be stopping anybody from taking a win98 floppy boot disk or any other type of bootable disk and formatting the hard drive in the computer? I can't imagine anybody taking that chance.

I'd be surprised if a public computer would even boot from anything other than the hard drive. And, if the people who set the computer(s) up are at all security minded, I wouldn't think you'd be able to access the bios in order to change the boot order. Aside from the boot order, think of the havoc one could reap if he or she could get into the bios.

There may be some out there that would allow it but my guess is that most wouldn't. Way to much risk involved. I could be wrong but as I said, I'd be surprised if that were the case.

8. 2006/12/23
    ackerberg

I was not planning on running an OS but simply the Firefox browser and the mail program Thunderbird. I have successfully done both. The only problem I encountered was loading the portableapps program on the memory stick. The size is about 450MB and it took over an hour. Once loaded however, Firefox loads into the computer memory fairly fast and it operates perfectly. I transferred all my bookmarks to FF and all my e-mail addresses to Thunderbird so when travelling I have all I need. The apps program also has a word processor, spread sheet,etc., anti-virus program and games, if you are bored.
    This 4GB USB memory stick is smaller that the last 2 digits on my index finger and considerably thinner. When I started using mainframes in the late 1950's, the first being Whirlwind and later Mark IV, 4GB of memory would have required two large rooms of tapedrives. I noticed that Costco has external USB drives on sale that hold either 6 or 8 GB. They are powered from the USB port and fit into the palm of your hand for $50. I only paid $21 for the memory stick but it has no moving parts and is slower than the external hard drive - but less likely to have a mechanical failure. The miniaturization that has taken place in our lifetimes is truly astounding and remarkable.
    I neglected to mention that using Firefox on a strange computer is not likely to tax the RAM and should leave no traces on the host machine.

Last edited: 2006/12/23
  9. 2006/12/23
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I understood that. My response was in reply to N8399's post (the post just above mine). I guess I should have clarified that at the time. :)

10. 2006/12/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

To answer your question, YES, you can use portable apps on a usb stick from any computer as long as the computer has usb ports enabled. Some bios can be configured to enable or disable usb ports.

As for bootable usb, only about 50% of todays computers can boot from a usb device. The other half don't have such an option in the bios, and public us comps *should* have the usb boot option disabled or have the boot order set to hard disk first.

11. 2006/12/23
    N8399

N8399 Inactive

Have run Firefox from usb/CD with the host OS/apps loaded to answer OP's question.

12. 2006/12/24
    visionof

visionof Inactive

Booting Windows off a USB Flash Drive

If you have a newer computer (P4 etc) that will boot off the USB I have seen it done with Linux.
    Has this ever been done with Windows XP ?

13. 2006/12/24
    TeMerc

TeMerc Inactive Alumni

Wow, what a great thread for me to stumble on, I'm getting me a 1GIG thumb drive this week!!

Great links guys....MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

14. 2006/12/25
    cchur

cchur Guest

U3 Memory

What you are looking for is a U3 enabled memory stick. Check out U3.com for software available. TB and FF are available along with others. Be aware that some public use computers block the USB ports for obvious reasons. http://software.u3.com

Chuck

Last edited by a moderator: 2006/12/25
  15. 2006/12/25
    N8399

N8399 Inactive

16. 2006/12/26
    usasma

usasma Inactive

Just to add to this, I've run Portable Firefox, Portable Thunderbird, and Portable OpenOffice from my flash drive for several months without issues. Also, the author of the Portable Apps site is very responsive and helpful.