1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

FlashGet 1.8 Activity

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by edjer, 2006/12/13.

1. 2006/12/13
    edjer

edjer Inactive Thread Starter

I recently installed FlashGet 1.8. With earlier versions, I could run Advanced Spyware Remover and it would detect two dlls added after a FlashGet installation. I'd delete the dlls (sorry, I forget their names) and FlashGet would work fine. The dlls seemed to be causing FlashGet to update constantly, even when it wasn't running. I'd set the file manager to sort by date modified, and the FlashGet folder was always at the top of the list. This behavior would go away when the dlls were deleted.

These dlls are not detected with version 1.8 and FlashGet is, again, constantly updating filename "fgbhocfg.ini ".

Does anyone know what this is doing? FlashGet is the best download manager I've found, but I don't like what this version is doing.

Ed

2. 2006/12/16
    olscan

olscan Inactive

Hello Edjer,

I also use Flashget for years. I try to install the latest version (Flashget 1.8), no spywares were found. But I had permanent notifications from Windows Defender each time I ran Flashget about changes in the BHO (linked to jccatch.dll) : not a harmless behaviour however, but ... ?
    As I couldn't rid of this notifications, I prefered to desinstall this version but I found 2 files in the Flashget directory : a dll named "fgmgr.dll" was running, and the "fgbhocfg.ini ". I remove "fgbhocfg.ini" but it came back as long as I could remove "fgmgr.dll" with Unlocker.
    I also try to scan this file on :
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    who found one possible malware (from VB32).

In the doubt, I prefer my older version with its Aureate spyware I have of course removed.

ol

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/12/17
    edjer

edjer Inactive Thread Starter

Thank you, olscan. I, too, decided to get rid of 1.8, only I replaced it with ReGet. I didn't like ReGet when I tried it years ago, but the new version does the trick without the funny activity. It downloads a lot faster also. I'm very happy with ReGet, and will probably never use FlashGet again.

Ed