1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

IE7 and Hewlett Packard

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by jdover, 2006/11/11.

1. 2006/11/11
    jdover Lifetime Subscription

jdover Inactive Thread Starter

There is a bug in IE7 which prevents some HP programmes running. One is Photo & Imaging Director. I spent hours onto HP support line, then I googled the problem and got many complaints.

2. 2006/11/11
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I just happen to be working on a HP pc for a friend. I installed IE7 on it a few days ago...

When I launched HP's Photo and Imaging Gallery I got a fairly typical IE security notification about the site wanting to load Active X components. I clicked on the yellow bar and selected "allow blocked content" and go infine....

You might want to look in Tools->Options->Security and change the active x controls from disabled to prompt.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/11/11
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

I provided as part of a "sticky" the fix for HP Director over a week ago:

Helping HP Director software to play nice with IE7

HP Software Update for IE 7
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software7/COL10861/sj-31873-2/COL10861.exe
    Warning -- The site is very slow

HP Director Workaround from the Internet Explorer General Newsgroup
    Run the HP Director (don't click anything yet so your HP Director's windows is still focus).

Press "alt+space" then choose minimize. You might need to click twice until it minimize.

Once it minimize to the bar, right click on it then click restore.

The HP Director will run in a big window. It will run normally but you always have to do those step to run the Director the first time.

Or, if you know what you're doing, create a .JS file:
    Substitute your actual path to the HP Director if necessary -- but make sure to use double backslashes as above

Save the script as filename.js

Create a shortcut to the script, or use Winkey + R to run wscript filename.js

5. 2006/11/11
    sig

sig Inactive

It's not really a Bug.
    Iv'e been on the phone with HP on several issuses RE this. A Patch /fix is being prepared so that "HP director" and all the HP printers, scanners, and All in ones that work with IE6 will work with IE7 installled. "Check for the patch soon "-is what they said. meantime you have two choices: delete the IE7update fron your computer and your HP product should work fine (but your web pages will show error messages when you close out of them with IE6 installed)
    or stay with the IE7 update and do without the use your HP device until HP gets it's act together!
    Shows us all how well HP and MS work together!
    these patches/fixes should have been available BEFORE IE7 was released.
    Sig

sig,
  6. 2006/11/11
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

I provided the link to the IE7 driver set just above. It has been available since the release of IE 7 final.

Not trying to defend HP, but many companies take the position that they will not release update drivers and software patches until the underlying product is out of Beta.

This is HPs position, and it did release the driver update concomittant with the release of IE 7 Final.

7. 2006/11/11
    sig

sig Inactive

Gee Bill, YOU ARE ON THE BALL!
    I'll give it The Patch /fix try. Saved it to desktop for now, will let you know how it works once i try to install it.
    I am wondering though, if you know, why the HP techs are'nt directing people to the patch if it's been available for a week (I spoke with one only yesterday) and why they havent put it on their driver updates website yet. The internet is full of thousands of unhappy confused HP products users Many who have not even a clue why their devices stopped working?
    Thanks again for your kindness and Expertise
    If youever need some medical advise I owe you one,
    Sig

sig,
  8. 2006/11/28
    Alicia J Lifetime Subscription

Alicia J Geek Member

Bill can you give me the link to the web page for this patch.
    Thanks.

9. 2006/11/28
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...2504&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

So, all you need to do is to find the udpated "HP Solution Center" software to replace HP Director.

It is in several driver packages. I have been recommending the following from Sandi Hardemeir's site:

Go to this link and download the file:

HP Photosmart: Essential software for photo editing, printing, and sharing:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=443001&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

It will install a Photosmart software application. Ignore that. It also installs the new HP Solution Center.

Your desktop HP Director icon will no longer work, just delete it. A new icon will be installed "HP Solution Center ".

10. 2006/11/29

Alicia J Geek Member

Bill, I can't even get HP director to open to do the 'workaround'. I also scanned for updates for my HP 1210 all in one and it said I had the latest drivers. An on line tech told me not to use the coll0861.exe.

I better go do some more reading. Thanks for all the links.

11. 2006/11/29
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Again, the point is to get the update to HP Director, called HP Solutions Center. It is included in new packages of printers and scanners from HP, and you need only find a downloadable driver that contains the software.

It does not matter if the device is anything like what you physicly own; what matters is that it also contains the HP Solutions Center software.

And tell the HP phone support I suggested using col10861.exe, and not coll0861.exe. Then quote him the HP Technical Bulletin I linked and quoted just above that the HP Director Software is incompatible with IE 7. Then ask him where for you exact device you can download HP Solutions Center as the Technical Bulletin advises. When you then draw a complete blank from the HP phone support individual, please follow the links I provided above to obtain and use the software.

12. 2006/11/30
    denstoe

denstoe Well-Known Member

HP now has the patch available for download. Just check for updates. Director will then work.

13. 2006/11/30
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

The link to the patch is in #3 above.
    The user claims that this did not resolve the issue.

Following the Technical Bulletin by HP, the user was directed to install the HP Solutions Center in the alternative.

14. 2006/11/30
    denstoe

denstoe Well-Known Member

It didn't resolve the issue for me either. HP now has a patch available that can be downloaded by clicking "HP software updates ". This was just released a few days ago.

15. 2006/12/01

Alicia J Geek Member

Using check for update option still says I'm up to date, blah blah.

Bill, I went to this link http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=443001&lang=en and there are 2 options for download of HP Photosmart Essential software for photo editing, printing and sharing. One is 6.09 MB and the other is 6.19 MB
    Which one do I use? Do I have to uninstall anything first? Perhaps I should delete shortcut off desktop for HP director and icon for HP Photo & Imaging.
    I have HP All in one 1210. I understand from your post it doesn't matter that I have 1210 All in One version, and can use update above.

There is also a HP Photosmart Printer software/driver 180 MB but I don't need that one? Right? Sorry, I just want to make sure I've got it right before I install anything.

16. 2006/12/02
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

This is a direct download for the HP patch that denstoe mentions the problem:

http://www.geocities.com/contacthptech/hp1.js

Perhaps it will work as work as it has for Densoe and others. From the Forums it is clear this is not a universal fix.

I stand by the notion you either workaround the issue: a video explanation for the workaround by Marc Liron: http://www.hostedmediafiles.com/ie7/hp-dir-1/hp-dir-1.html

Or, use what HP has advised. Replace rather than patch HP Director by installing any driver package that contains "HP Solution Center." Use that afterwards instead of HP Director. See above for at least one driver package that contains the new software. This is HP's advice.

So:
    Try the Workaround: Marc has a little video how to do it:
    If no joy, try the Densoe patch
    If no joy, try the HP recommended solution to use HP Solution Center. As I said above, it is part and parcel of the newer drive packages. It does not matter if you have the actual device in the link. It installs the HP Solution Center for all compatible devices.

Last edited: 2006/12/02
  17. 2006/12/02

Alicia J Geek Member

Marc Liron's link to a script workaround is simple and it worked for me.
    www.updatexp.com/ie7-issues.html

I put the script on my desktop, and when I run it, HP Director opens for me. Yippee!