1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Limiting Download speed through router options?

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by CxFusion3mp, 2006/10/29.

1. 2006/10/29
    CxFusion3mp

CxFusion3mp Inactive Thread Starter

Hey there, been awhile since I've stopped by, busy with school and such, but you guys have always been helpful in the past so I thought I'd stop by with my current problems. Recently moved into a multiple room house, each room has a tenant, 10 rooms total. I'm in charge of the network for the house. We hooked up Comcast home networking, which ran well, until we realized that it only supported 5 IP addresses, and would crash when the 6th person tried to log on. So I went out and bought a NetGear RangeMax router to connect to the Comcast one in order to get thoes extra IP addresses we needed. Connection worked great with the 9 people we had on it.
    Now a new tenant has moved in, and apparently loves to use BitComet. My own opinions on illegal downloading aside, I've walked in his room and seen probably 30 gigs worth of games/songs/programs downloading at the same time, effectively sucking our bandwidth to zero for the rest of us. This usually results in everyone getting kicked off every 10-15 minutes, making it hell to even attempt to do homework online, or just surf the web or play an online game.
    When he was out of town for 4 days the system returned to normal so I'm pretty sure it's his downloading habits causing the problem... Despite me telling him whats happening he refuses to stop. Other than kicking him off the network completely, is there any way I can limit his download speed somehow? I've gone through the network options page but didn't see anything that would work, that and there were a few things I didn't understand lol... Networking is kind of new to me, it's always just been me or on the dorms T3 line.

so, thats the question, is there any way to limit his download speed without having access to his computer or knowing what port he's utilizing?

if not i'll just move the router (he's connected through ethernet at the moment, it's right outside his room) and block his mac address, but I'd rather just try and limit his behavior if possible, having internet IS in his rent contract...

Thanks again for your help!

2. 2006/10/29
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

Reading the Bitcomet FAQ (http://wiki.bitcomet.com/help/BitComet_FAQ)
    I would disable UPnP so that the application won't automatically map ports.

Then go into content filtering and only allow the esentual ports for his Local IP address.

Port 80 Web
    Port 25 E Mail
    Port 110 E Mail
    And any others you see fit.

looks like that application is user configurable for the ports it uses. By disableing UPnP it will prevent the ports from automatically mapping..

Yes he has internet in his rental contract but that certainly doesn't give him the right to abuse it denying everyone else of the same privlage.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/29
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

You can stop it remotely. For example AppKiller by MS-MVP Greg Palmer: http://www.palmersoft.co.uk/software/appkiller.asp

Disable UPnP on the router and remove any port forward for the ports used by the application if they exist. Then password protect the router setup pages.

5. 2006/10/29
    CxFusion3mp

Thanks guys. I've disabled UPnP by itself. Nothing changed, seemed to get a little worse actually. I disabled UDP on all ports for his ip, so far i havn't crashed in 20 minutes, if that dosn't work (pretty sure it won't because bittorrent uses TCP afaik), i'll go for the more drastic measures of disabling everything besides internet/email ports...

is there someplace i can find a list of what each specific port does? 80 = http, 110 = email, 25 = email, ? = aim etc...

6. 2006/10/29
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

7. 2006/10/29
    CxFusion3mp

Thanks! So i testing what i did earlier, disabling all ports makes it so i can't even surf, so i just blocked all non-OS ports (999-end), guess he'll be ticked off if he plays any games but i guess he did it to himself.

thanks again guys, as always you're the best!

8. 2006/11/04
    outegra

outegra Inactive

I thought using QoS (Quality of Service) provided with a router can limit the bandwidth to each device? My Linksys router allows me to do so for up to two devices, identified by the MAC addresses.

I have not tried this option as I don't have bandwidth sharing problem. Also the QoS seems to control only upstream bandwidth.

Has anyone tried QoS?

9. 2006/11/04
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

For QoS you need QoS enabled devices.
    Voice over IP is likely the only one you will see if you have it.

You cannot use QoS to restrict bandwidth for a P2P application; these are not QoS-aware applications.

There are bandwidth shaper applications for small LANs, such as Net Limiter: http://www.netlimiter.com/

10. 2006/11/04
    CxFusion3mp

Yes, I've looked for QOS on my router... only 3 Netgear models have QOS according to their FAQ, and mine is not one of the models. In any case, the problem solved itself. He's been evicted. Apparently he was just an all around bad guy.

once again thanks for all your help!

11. 2006/11/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

That'll work :eek:

12. 2006/11/16
    visionof

visionof Inactive

Limiting Download To User

According to the link below the program bitcomet uses random ports .
    There seems to be a listing or ports according to router model:

http://portforward.com/

But then it all depends on how knowledgable he is in manually changing ports.
    Bit abusive of an individual. Can he not limit his bandwidth use ? It is the upload more than the download which saps the network.
    As well if you are on a cable broadband connection speeds vary depending on time of day . Peak times are usually after school and evenings when the kids are off school.
    You have several options.

1) In most routers you can block addresses by mac address either totally or by time periods.
    You can look up and identiify the mac adress of the culprit in various places in the router control panel either in the mac filter area or in the lan status area

2) Perhaps if you are handy you can setup a linux based firewall appliance such as ipcop or smoothwall

3) You can check your useage from the isp either from them or through a customer service interface

print it out
    look at the upload segment.
    You can then have a proof source to have a chat with this fellow

4) Lastly after the discussion if nothing changes try blocking access to this user temporarily . Compare bandwidth rates before and after.
    You can accidentally leave the service off. ( several times ). It is amazing how quickly the person will get the message.
    Make sure however that you have changed any login passwords on the router from factory defaults and that the router is not in a readily accessible area. The router can be reset to factory defaults very simply with a pin. :eek:

13. 2006/11/16
    visionof

visionof Inactive

Also it is always best to blame a third party.
    Let the ip take the rap.
    Terrible graph.
    Sent an email ..... bandwidth abuse department of isp.......cut off service ..... abnormal bandwidth use levels.....1 million times the average user ......