1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

IE 7 -- Remove Search Bar

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Bill Castner, 2006/10/22.

1. 2006/10/22
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive Thread Starter

An irregular series of hidden settings.

If using XP Pro:

Start, Run, gpedit.msc

User Configuration
    \Administrative Templates
    \Windows Components
    \Internet Explorer

"Prevent the Internet Explorer search box from displaying"

Set to ENABLED

For other OS versions:
    I should note for non-XP Pro users that the Group Policy object that is created and effected by the suggestion above could be modified by hand using Regedit. (You need to add the new key). In ".REG" file format that could also be used the setting can be found here:

Code:
    [b]REGEDIT4 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Infodelivery\Restrictions] 
     "NoSearchBox "=dword:00000001 

[/b]

Last edited: 2006/10/23
  2. 2006/10/29
    David Parker

David Parker Inactive

OK, I was able to remove the search bar. However, the address bar now expands to fill the entire top row across the page. I cannot move another toolbar up to share that level. What a waste of real estate!

Now for the problem. I cannot REPLACE the tool bar. Within gpedit.msc, at User\admin\win\ie, and at the "Preventiing IE search box..." it does not matter if I enable, disable, or not configure, I cannot get the tool bar to come back.:eek:

The NoSearchBox registry key is set at 0 in regedit.

Any idea how to replace the search box?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/29
    Bill Castner

Last edited: 2006/10/29
  5. 2006/10/29
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Bill Castner--since you provided the Undo fix for Hide the Search Box from http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/tweaks.asp was there any reason why you did not recommend the Hide the Search Box fix from the same page in your first post?.

6. 2006/10/29
    Bill Castner

As a personal philosophy:

In answering a tech support question, if there is a way to do so in the GUI it is my preference to suggest that.

I discourage downloading, even from seemingly "safe sites" registry patches and workarounds.

In this case, it was just a convenience rather than explaining the registry setting to be made. As the user attempted a registry edit manually already, I suggested a .reg file to ensure that the entry was made successfully. I believe the GUI gpedit approach would revert the change, and suggested as much by asking for the gpupdate command to be used.

7. 2006/10/29
    David Parker

David Parker Inactive

OK, I got it .

In the first comment, you explained how to REMOVE the search bar by heading down the USER Configuration pathway. I did that and the Search Box went away. Switching it back on at that same location did NOT work.

To turn it back ON using the Group Policy (gpedit.msc) you must start down Computer Configuration not USER Configuration:
    Computer Config\Admin\Windows\IE\Prevent IE search box...

Sure enough, down the Computer Config ladder this was still "enabled ". Change the value to "not configured" and IT "S BACK.

I still want my Google Toolbar up there on the top line but I can't have that so I guess I have to learn to love IE7's Search box.

Thanks

8. 2006/10/29
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

David Parker--I had the same problem.
    Reading your last post I suspect you do not have the old Menubar (File, Edit, View, etc.) at the top--right under the Title Bar.
    You can move the MenuBar by using this fix
    http://www.tech-recipes.com/internet_explorer_ie7_tips1375.html
    Now you should be able to put your Google Toolbar on that same line. I have. And of course I got rid of the IE7 Search Box.

9. 2006/10/30
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello David,

I ended up making Google the default Search in the search bar's drop down menu. But I don't use Google's tool bar.

Regards - Charles

10. 2006/10/30
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive