1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Since I installed IE7 links in Outlook Express no longer work

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by asiracusa, 2006/10/22.

1. 2006/10/22
    asiracusa

asiracusa Inactive Thread Starter

Since installing IE7, the links appearing in email messages opened via Outlook Express no longer work when I click on them.

If a change the default browser to mozilla firefox the links are opened by Mozilla without any problems.

If I roll back IE7 to IE6 using a restore point the links work fine again.

Is anybody else having this problem or is just me? If so, How can I rectify this problem?

2. 2006/10/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Try the solutions offered in this thread ....

http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jspa?threadID=90943&tstart=60

Are you usung the Final version of IE 7 or an earlier version? The problem existed in the beta versions - see here

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/22
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

5. 2006/10/22
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Actually, do not run IEFix, as I am not completely sure what effect under IE7 there might be.

As PeteC mentioned, you likely are missing a DLL registration.

Open a new notepad session, to be called IE_fix.cmd, and copy/paste the below:

regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
    regsvr32 Msjava.dll
    regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Browseui.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll

Save the file, then double click IE_fix.cmd and answer the prompts. Ignore any error messages.

Reboot and test again.

6. 2006/10/22
    asiracusa

Thanks everybody for the quick reply but I still have the problem.

Bill/Pete,

I tried your solution but it did not work. I still cannot get the hyperlink in OE working but again, if I make Mozilla my default browser than the hyperlink is opened by mozilla as expected.

I do have Windows XP Pro.

Any other ideas

7. 2006/10/22
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Tools, Internet Options, Programs
    Make IE the default browser with a check in the bottom box.

Tools, Internet Options, Advanced
    Use the RIES feature at the bottom. (Reset IE Settings).

8. 2006/10/23
    asiracusa

Bill,

Your last suggestion worked.

Thanks you very much.

9. 2006/10/23
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

You are very welcome.

And welcome to WindowsBBS!

10. 2006/10/23
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

My golly! The setting on the Programs tab is the old Win98 fix for the same problem. What comes around, goes around. :)

11. 2006/11/01
    ryan o

ryan o Inactive

I'm having the same problem

I am also having a problem with hypertext links in Outlook Express and Word with IE7. I tried all the tricks listed so far, but none have worked for me. When I click on a link in OE, nothing happens. When I click on a link in Word, sometimes it works, and other times it does not. In fact, one time, it opened several instances of IE7, but one of the versioned looked like IE6. However when I clicked on "Help "/ "About Internet Explorer ", it said that it was version 7.0. I took a screen print of that screen, but I don't think that will give anyone any clue to the problem.

When I unload IE7 or when I set Firefox as the default browser, I don't have any problems. I've loaded IE7 twice, and had the same problem both times.

Any other suggestions?

12. 2006/12/05
    SirDoc

SirDoc Inactive

Hyperlinks not working due to mshtml.dll file

I too have the problem where hyperlinks no longer work in Outlook Express.

I've tried all the fixes presented here as well as those at Microsoft.com. They still do not work. However I did some experimenting.

When I tried to register mshtml.dll I got an error message that the file could not be registered.

I searched for mshtml.dll and found several. I think the key ones are those in c:\Windows\ie7 and c:\Windows\System32.

The odd thing is that the one in the system32 folder is version 7.0.5730.11, created 7/7/2004 and is 3.41MB is size. 2 years ago?

The one in the windows\ie7 folder is version 6.0.2900.2995, created 11/19/2006 and is 2.91MB in size. Now this kinda makes sense since you'd think a newer version would be installed with IE7.

I decided I'd temporarily rename the mshtml.dll in system32 to mshtm.sav and copy the mshtml.dll file from the ie7 folder into system32.

The first thing that happened as that before I could do anything, the mshtml.dll file in system32 re-appeared!. Now maybe this is a normal thing and I'm hoping someone will let me know. Otherwise I and possibly a boatload of other people have some unknown virus.

Anyhow.. I quickly renamed the mshtml.dll file to mshtml.sav and before the old one could be recreated I pasted a copy of the mshtml.dll file from the ie7 folder into the c:\windows\system32 folder.

Then I ran Outlook Express.. and guess what? My hyperlinks were working again.

The only bad thing (and not entirely unexpected) is that Internet Explorer 7, would not work right, especially when I tried to go to www.microsoft.com.

There were some really weird things going on with the saved copy of the original mshtml.dll which I had renamed to mshtml.sav. It took on the icon of Half Life 2. It can't be renamed/deleted/etc. I ended up reloading IE7. Now I'm back to hyperlinks not working.

Anyone have any advice?

Last edited: 2006/12/05
  13. 2006/12/06
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

14. 2006/12/07
    SirDoc

SirDoc Inactive

I just removed IE7

I used the references provided and began the process. At some point it occurred to me that I shouldn't have to be a Microsoft Guinea Pig, or remote R&D site. After reading things like you have to reboot twice before attempting to run IE7 the first time, and after reading that once you have IE7, you can't reload XP or components I decided to just go back to IE6.
    My hyperlinks work just fine, I'm not getting blank web pages or lockups etc. etc.

Just like the company I work for.. it seems like Microsoft simply refuses to throughly test it's products before putting them out.

If I had a quarter for every patch I've had to put on the stuff I work on due to Microsoft stuff I could BUY the company.