1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows XP Pro not recognizing full HD capacity

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MacMerdin, 2006/10/17.

1. 2006/10/17
    MacMerdin

MacMerdin Inactive Thread Starter

I recently bought a Seagate 250 Gig hard drive (SATA). When I try to install Windows it only shows 127 Gig capacity. My BIOS shows the full 250 Gig capacity. It doesn't show any other unpartitioned space or unallocated space on the hard drive. How can I get Windows to detect the full drive space?

I tried to search for this answer but only found 1 thread that didn't help with my problem. Sorry if this question has been posted before....I'm new here. Thanks in advance.

Specs:

865PERL motherboard
    1.5 Gig RAM
    256 meg NVidia Video card (AGP)
    2.8 GHz processor

2. 2006/10/17
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Click on Start->Run and type DISKMGMT.MSC

You should find the rest of the space as unallowcated. If so you can right click on and select create partition.

To get one big drive you'd have to look into slipstreaming SP2 into your XP cd.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/17
    MacMerdin

Thanks for the response. Can you explain what this means though. Sorry, I'm more of a hardware person than software.

5. 2006/10/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

6. 2006/10/17
    MacMerdin

Thanks,

I'll try that at home when I get there. I'll let you all know what happens. Keep your fingers crossed.

7. 2006/10/17
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

I believe that came with SP1, only the original version of XP did not handle large HDDs.

Christer

8. 2006/10/17
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Christer

You may well be right - I have a 250Gb drive to fit into a friend's box tomorrow and I am sure that he does not have SP 2, so we shall see :)

9. 2006/10/17
    MacMerdin

Disk management worked. Thanks all.

10. 2006/10/23
    TCHAPAIEV Lifetime Subscription

TCHAPAIEV Well-Known Member

A Microsoft True Nightmare And Fairy Tale

I read all posts hoping that I would come as Zorro ! But apparently disc management worked for mac merdin finally so .. what I have to tell might be only an interesting story : I had to buy a brand new PC 3Ghz double core , no brand (Tailored on demand ) ; for some reson my dell Dimension broke after 5years and the cost of thge repair would have been higher than the new one ; OK there were TWO hard Discs SATA (80 GB and 300 GB ) ; and the PC was furnished installed everything worked ; The Windows version implemented was the one I furnished (THE ORIGINAL CD ) of course . Now , trying to implement a bouble boot I discovered with terror that the original CD of Windows (Pro) did not recognize the partitions !!!! . No way ; I had a version prior to SP2 and so I heard that Only Windows + SP2 would be able to recognize large discs ; so I made a slipstreamed CD (I am not giving explanations , it's already done and useless because Disc management worked) ; the interesting thing is that :
    The slipstreamed CD DID NOT WORK either !!!!!!!!
    After some BSOD , I decided to call my tech Service (the one who build the PC) , and there I learned the terrifying truth: My CD wether slipstreamed or not wwould not work ; it would not work for installing Windows and would not work either for repairing any prior installed version ; how did they implement one ? I asked ; well this was a nightmare , they told me but it's out of question that I could possibly imitate them in any way . Finally I got the right explanation ; the CD Version I bougt was manufactured at the early times of XP , then SP2 appeared and what is less known included features , in particular large discs recognition problem ; now if you had like me an old CD , you always could hope that by manufacturing a slipstreamed CD including SP2 , everything will be all right ; wrong guess !
    That's the point !
    How is that possible that the Windows CD's ('including SP2) never meet the problem and a Slipstreamed Cd does????
    Answer is simple : the second version of the Windows CD INCLUDES SP2 but is definitely NOT A SLIPSTREAMED version ; in fact , the second version of Windows CD includes SP2 as a KERNEL modification of the OS ;so I was left with a completely useless original CD !!!!!!
    I called Microsoft customer service and after some weeks of intense discusssions , tech support of microsoft acknowledged I will not be able to use the CD , the original one I mean (they tried severely to get me involved with some manipulations but ..When I said that even the Bios on my PC was not modified through Diskette , and did not need disquettes , they gave up and .... exchanged the CD against the new version . Nightmare and fairy tale ...any comments welcome OLIVIER GEBUHRER