1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Archiving Email in Nscp 7.2 -- Pointing to CD Drive NG

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by 2E1, 2006/10/05.

1. 2006/10/05
    2E1

2E1 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi --- I read Ramona's post on archiving email to CD: "Archiving and Accessing Netscape/Mozilla/Thunderbird Mail on CD" .

All seems to go as planned until it comes time to view the archived mail on the CD. Netscape Mail does not display the CD's folders.

Details:
    1) When setting up my dummy email account, under "Server Settings -- Local Folder" I pointed the account to the E:\ drive.

But upon exiting out of Server Settings and restarting the Mail screen, the archived email folders on the CD do not appear under the Dummy Acct. heading, (AND the default folders (Inbox, Sent, Drafts, etc.) are not displayed anymore either!) Only the Dummy Acct heading shows in the acct list.

Note: These default folders still exist: They are still visible in the .slt folder as subfolders of the dummy account (as are the default folders). They just don't show in the Mail window under the Dummy Acct. heading.

If I change the "Local Folder" setting back to a folder on the hard drive, that local folder is displayed under the dummy acct. heading and the default folders return as well.

So, if Netscape Mail does not show the CD folders, at this point I can't view the archived mail.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I've run dry on ideas.

---Brian

2E1,
  2. 2006/10/05
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

Welcome to the Forum, 2E1 !!

Brian,

My first thought is whether or not you have the CD in the drive when setting up the dummy account. If so, then you must restart Netscape in order to write the changes to the prefs.js file.

This Screen Shot is my CDArchive setup for Server Settings. Is this how you have your server settings set up?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/10/18
    2E1

2E1 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, Ramona ---
    Can you elaborate on your 1st thought? How does it relate to the steps I took below:

I set up a dummy account "archived.email.net" in the same profile folder "xxxx.slt\Mail\" as my main email acct ( "mail.verizon.net "). I will want to have this dummy account point to my CD-RW drive in the "Local Directory" section of Server Settings.

But first, I moved emails-to-be-archived to that dummy account, then I burned them to CD, i.e., from the "xxxx.slt\Mail\" folder, I copied the folder "archived.email.net" and all its subdirectories (Inbox, Drafts, etc., as well as the subfolders containing the archived email) to the CD.

I then went into Server Settings for the the dummy account and set "Local Directory" to "E:\archived.email.net ", which is the folder on the CD containing my archived email.

Next I erased the archive emails from the dummy account on the C drive, just leaving behind the empty default folders (Inbox, Drafts, Sent, etc)

Finally, I closed out of Netscape, restarted NS Mail. The new dummy account shows in the left column of the NS Mail window, as do all of the subfolders as they appear on the CD, including the archived mail.

Here's the thing I can't figure out: When I click on one of the archives in the left hand pane, the CD-RW drive kicks in, but no emails are displayed in the main NSMail pane.

As a test of the archive email files that I had just burned to the CD, I copied one of them from the archive CD back to the dummy acct folder on the C:\ drive, repointed the dummy's Local Directory to the email file's C:\ location, and restarted NS. The email archive file displays as it should in the NSMail window.

So, it seems the files on the CD are OK. I just can't view them from the dummy account!

This is getting frustrating!
    Your insights are much appreciated!
    --- Brian

2E1,
  5. 2006/10/18
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

You should open Internet Explorer, open the folder (Archive) which contains the Mail to be archived (NOT the dummy account) then burn to CD. In other words, create an Archive folder in your Verizon Mail Account for the messages you want to Archive. Then close Netscape, and burn those messages to CD, using Windows Explorer.

That sounds O.K., but I would drop the ".email.net" just use archive

As you know, this didn't work, and the archived mail should be left on the C: drive.

You have to follow the directions to the letter, or it won't work.

1. Create dummy account
    2. Create Archive folder
    3. Copy messages to be archived to this folder
    4. Close Netscape
    5. Open Windows Explorer and browse to archive folder
    6. Burn archive folder to CD
    7. Insert CD in E: drive
    8. Open Netscape

Archived Mail will appear in left panel.