1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

System Restore not working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jaycee, 2006/09/12.

1. 2006/09/12
    jaycee

jaycee Inactive Thread Starter

System restore seems to be corrupted and I can't use it. If I create Restore point it has disappeared couple days later when I wish to use it. If I click on settings it hangs. This may have been caused when I cleaned files with virus scanner and spy n Ad utilities but Im not sure.
    Can I fix it without formatting my drive.

2. 2006/09/12
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/09/12
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

MS-MVP Bert Kinney has a web site that will address the missing Restore Points issue. See "Source" below.

How do I reinstall System Restore?

Warning: This will delete ALL existing restore points.

In Windows Explorer go to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

Go to Start - Run and type %Windir%\INF then press enter.
    Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.

Or simply type or paste the following command into the Start - Run box and press enter:

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection C:\Windows\Inf\sr.inf

If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists, of for systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Download from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder. The retail version of Windows XP (SP2) also contains the latest version of the files needed.

These are the files needed to perform the reinstall:
    FILELIST.XML
    RSTRUI.EXE
    SR.SYS
    SRCLIENT.DLL
    SRDIAG.EXE
    SRFRAME.MMF
    SRRSTR.DLL
    SRSVC.DLL
    SRVSVC.DLL

Source: MS-MVP Bert Kinney, "All about System Restore in WinXP ", http://bertk.mvps.org/

5. 2006/09/12
    jaycee

Thanks everyone,that gives me quite a few things to try

6. 2006/09/12
    jaycee

liked the web site

7. 2006/09/12
    jaycee

Ran dll32.exe advpack.dll----- Seems the SR.SYS file was missing, don't know what else, it went too fast. An automatic restore point was made, and I looked at settings without crashing, Wow! Will test it in a couple of days and hopefully I will be a happy bunny!

8. 2006/09/12
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Sounds like good news.

Best wishes.

9. 2006/09/23
    falconjet

falconjet Inactive

I had the same problem and was told it was Russian viruses etc - rubbish
    You will find you clicked on your drive properties box and then clicked on "Disk Cleanup" - when you do this it deletes all your restore points.
    I am systematic when it comes to keeping my computer defragged and scandisked. And until recently I used to do a Disk Cleanup as well. Not any more. Since I haven't done this cleanup I have kept all my restore points.
    Hope this helps?
    falconjet ;)

10. 2006/09/23
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I perform a Disk Cleanup every week and still have all my restore points.

lj50,
  11. 2006/09/23
    Novice226

Novice226 Inactive

Novice226

I use Safe Mode when using System restore. Works everytime.

12. 2006/09/24
    jaycee

Thanks to posters 8 9 n 10 It has given me something to think about. I did a disk clean and defrag around that time.

Hello novice, I have never used safe mode for SR. Can you set restore points and is there advantage to using safe mode

13. 2006/09/29
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Some interesting things to note about System Restore:
    In the Control Panel> System>System Restore, you can set which drives or partitions to monitor. Drives that contain only data do not need to have SR protection, because there is nothing to monitor. If you highlight a drive and click "settings" you can use the slider bar to determine how much disk space to allow SR to use. The less Disk Space allocated, the fewer SR points. If you change your system frequently, you probably don't want to go back very far, and since SR points are cumulative, the less SR points you have, the less chance for error. I just checked and my "C" drive is set on 6%, which on my system is under a gig, and I have 12 days available to roll back to. Food for thought.
    Johanna

14. 2006/09/29
    Bill Castner

Bill Castner Inactive

Okay. There is an implication that using the slider can disable SR on a volume, which is not true. It matters for USB Pen drives, for example.

SR points are not cumulative, they are date specific. If the point you are trying to make is that you could restore a virus, for example, by doing a SR after having cleaned the instance in a current Windows session, then just say so.

Your comment above is nonsensical. As is the technical value for your note as a whole.

SR is a good idea. You can temper its disk usage default settings. But implement it and let it do its job.

For the Windows NT-based family of OS offerings, SR offers the best chance for a registry restore you can get natively.

While I agree with any suggestion for adjusting its default use of disk space, the rest of the comment above makes little technical sense.

15. 2006/09/29
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

My wild ideas
    System Restore is not a set & forget item. It must be considered ANY AND ALL times that changes are made to the system. Regardless whether the changes are on C: or higher. Everything that is done on the machine is usually referenced somehow in the Registry.
    I myself only have it set on C:

But anytime any I do any Housecleaning or add/removing System Restore is cleaned up to match.
    I added a new program Wednesday. Removed 2 no longer used programs Wednesday. As of this AM I found everything to be OK so I shutdown and restarted SR. Now if I should have to uses SR, I will not be puttting back references to stuff that is not even there.
    This is a lesson learned from hands on ( not all good ) experience.

BillyBob

16. 2006/09/29
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Nice to meet you, Mr. Castner. Point taken. I will go back to lurking and learning and let more experienced people post on the BBS.
    Johanna

17. 2006/09/29
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I think that you can see that my previous reply will 100% agree.

Again. If I do a lot of clean up work and make other changes that are going to be OK WHY ??? do I want a several days old Restore point ?

BillyBob

Last edited: 2006/09/29