1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Dsl Modem Speed

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by densaw, 2006/09/10.

1. 2006/09/10
    densaw

densaw Inactive Thread Starter

I do not think my DSL modem is acheiving anywhere near its rated speed. I have accessed the configuration information and this is what I read:

Under connection info-Connected at 1536Kb upstream 384Kb downstream.
    Under Statistics-Maximum allowed Connection speed- to modem 1536KB
    to internet 384Kb.

I am assuming that this Modem which is a Speedstream 5100 b is rated @1536Kb downloading & 384Kb uploading. Is this correct?

I never download any faster than 35-45 Kb per second. I have run several dsl speed tests from various sites an average numbers are 310/312Kb download/upload. most sites report me as being 80% worse than the average user.

Please excuse me if this post is not in the correct forum.

2. 2006/09/13
    densaw

densaw Inactive Thread Starter

update

I talked to a service technician who told me that the service I am paying for and the best I can obtain due to distance from their central station is 384kb download and 128kb upload. Tests I have done at various sites show an average of 312 download & 315 upload. Tech(SBC/ATT) says this is normal.

I then told him that when I download a file of any type the popup box that comes up usually show that I am downloading at 35 -45 kbsps. Technician says that this could be a windows XP problem.

So my next question is. Is he correct,is this normal or should I be getting better results?:confused:

Thanks

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/09/13
    BOBBO

BOBBO Geek Member

densaw: Something is definitely not right. I'm also with ATT/SBC but my Speedstream modem is the 5260 model. That could make some difference.

The line speeds you mention can also contain something that needs clarifying. Notice that some of them are measured in kbps and others are KB. I believe one of those is in kilobits and the other in kilobytes, and there's an 8X difference between the two.

You don't say how far you are away from the telco, and that can make a difference, too. When I first went with SBC, they told me I was 25,000 feet from them and that DSL ordinarily doesn't like anything more than 17,000 feet. The tech said he was amazed I could get anything, that my modem must be really good. So how far are you away from them?

It sounds like you have ATT/SBC's DSL Express service for $12.99 a month. Their DSL Pro service is $17.99 and is twice as fast. I recently switched from it to their DSL Elite service for $27.99 for another doubling of speed and my line speed tests are about 42l5 kbps or 526 KB download and 642 kbps or 80 KB upload.

I would say your situation warrants a housecall from your ISP. Either your modem needs to be replaced, or they need to check your line's condition and also the distance between you and the telco. A sharp tech might find some configuration glitch that can be corrected. The cable running from your residence's telephone entry box to your modem might need upgrading, too. Even accounting for the difference between bits and bytes, you should be getting a lot better service than you're now getting.

5. 2006/09/14
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Please clarify your rates:

The broadband connection is measured in KiloBITS/sec.
    1536Kb = 1.5 MegaBITS/sec. = 192 KiloBYTES/sec.

Your distance from Central Office gives you 315 KiloBITS/sec.
    315 KiloBITS/sec = 315 divided by 8 = 39 KiloBYTES/sec (8 BITS = 1 BYTE)

The download window in XP displays KiloBYTES/sec.
    Thus 35-45 KiloBYTES/sec = 280-360 KiloBITS/sec.

Everything seems to be in order w/ your comp UNLESS the Windows download dialog displays 35-45 KiloBITS/sec, in which case something is awful wrong!

The distance from the Central Office determines the quality of the adsl connection, the farther away the poorer the quality. The max distance is somewhere between 15,000 & 20,000 feet away, depending upon the dsl provider's lines, amplifiers, other equipment & configurations.

6. 2006/09/20
    sultan_emerr

sultan_emerr Banned

Was he just reading you their standard blah, blah, blah over the phone, or did the service technician come out and check your setup? You could throw in a request for a new modum.

Clear/clean your cache and go to your local settings folder and empty your "temp" folder, and just to be on the safe side check for spyware/malware. Are you using a software firewall and/or router?

Unplug modem/router and turn off computer, then plug everything back in. Also check to make sure your network card is correctly installed.= Windows XP = r/click "my computer "/click the "hardware" tab/click "device manager "/
    expand "network adapters" and see if there is anything listed, and if it is listed, see if it has an "X" or exclamation mark?

Call your phone company and insist that when you are on the phone you frequently hear a lot of loud static, and that you want your outside and inside lines replaced.

DSL Reports Tests = http://www.dslreports.com/tools

TCP Optimizer = http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2104]http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2104

7. 2006/09/22
    Mr. Fix It

Mr. Fix It Inactive

I Know the secret to slow DSL connections ... !

I know the secret to fixing slow DSL speeds. I can guarantee success and increase your connection speed to well beyond 1536kb/ps.
    Just do this:
    1.) Unplug your DSL modem from its power source.
    2.) Disconnect the phone line and your Ethernet card and or router from the modem.
    3.) Remove all of those silly line filters from all of your telephones (of which one of them may be bad - which may answer one reason why your line connection speed is so low).
    4.) Go to Best Buy and purchase a D-Link cable modem.
    5.) Order an Internet connection from your local cable provider, with average speeds now approaching 6mb/ps.
    6.) Never look back.
    It's a sure fix - you won't be disappointed.

8. 2006/09/22
    xpslayer

xpslayer Inactive

I couldn't agree with you more Mr. Fix It, densaw drop that DSL connection like it was a HOT potato and go
    with a cable connection if it is available in your area. The local Telephone company around here wants almost
    twice the the amount I'm paying for my cable connection and will only offer one-half that's 1/2 the speed that
    I'm getting with my cable. I pay $39.95 per month for a 3 Megabit connection that I get around 2950 - 3100+
    or above where as the telphone company only offers 1.5 Megabit for $60.00+ per month. I have talked to quite
    a few people that has the DSL connection from the local telephone company and they all say they never even
    reach 900kb let alone the 1.5 and one person I know only lived one block away from the local office and the best
    that she ever received was only 1.1 -1.2 even living that close.:eek:

9. 2006/09/23
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive

have heard bad things about sbc and att from my nephew who had them when he lived in california. i live in wisconsin and have centurytel and i have a t1 - 1.5 connection and i am about 2.5 miles from the hub. i get between
    1.44 and 1.5mbps download and about 490 when downloading. so i am pretty happy with this. because i am a business they definitely charge me more than if i was a residential customer but am thinking about going to the 3mbps for an extra 10.00 a month. again i am a business so currently for the t1i am paying 49.00.

sounds like your getting ******* with your connection for sure. i agree raise some hell about static in the line and make them come out and check their lines. had centurytel redo my lines so my dsl connection goes through a special house filter they attached to the outside of my home and my other phone lines go through the filter differently. now i dont need a filter on each on my inside lines only the one on the outside of the house. centurytel is pretty good in my opinion.