1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Programs missing from add/remove programs list

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Bstaub, 2006/09/01.

1. 2006/09/01
    Bstaub

Bstaub Inactive Thread Starter

I have reloaded a Windows XP machine and have been reloading all the software onto the machine. I have loaded Microsoft Office, Autocad and many other programs. I know the add / remove programs list was ok at one point as I was in there looking at it. However, now there are only two Applications listed in there! It shows none of the security patches or programs with the exception of the two applications.

This is why I reloaded Windows in the first place because it was doing this before and I figured it had to be a windows problem. And now it is doing the same thing all over again.

HELP?

2. 2006/09/01
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello Bstaub and welcome to the Board,

Aside from the applications not showing in Add/Remove, are they installed and if the shortcuts in Start > All Programs are clicked on, do they work?

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/09/01
    Bstaub

They are listed and do work

Hi Charles

Yes the programs are all in the program list (start/Programs) and everyone that I have tried to run has run normally!

5. 2006/09/01
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Bstaub,

You should have a scroll bar at the side in Add/Remove and if so:

There is huge gap between the first entries and any following the last entry at the beginning. Scroll down and you should see the rest of the program entries.

To fix this:

Kellys Korner has a small program - download and run.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_a.htm

Scroll down to Add or Remove and then White Space and click on download for the program.

Found an MS forum thread on this which explains (sort of) how this happens:
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...217241d66c6/c5d9c5615263e10b#c5d9c5615263e10b

Regards - Charles

6. 2006/09/01
    Bstaub

That was it!

Charles

Thanks! That was it! I never noticed the scroll bar and never would have scrolled that far down anyway!

Thank you for all your help!

7. 2006/09/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

A side note - if you want to see Updates the Show Updates box at the top of the window must be checked.