1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Monitoring Browser Activity

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by NELSHELEN, 2006/08/31.

1. 2006/08/31
    NELSHELEN

NELSHELEN Inactive Thread Starter

We have a Windows SBS Premium with 38 users.

Until now we have had a very relaxed and basic internet usage policy - No ****, No racist sites, personal use in personal time etc.

It has come to light that this relaxed policy is being abused (surprise surprise!!).

Is there a tool within SBS that we can use to identify web sites being accessed, who is accessing these sites, when and for how long?

Thanks in advance
    Nel

2. 2006/08/31
    kryption224

kryption224 Inactive

Ive thought about that exact thing. The only thing is that I dont think that you can actual know all the "unwanted" sites names or IP. The big question that you would have to ask your self is how bad do you want to stop this?

You will need to set up DNS thru your server. Then monitor there cache, meaning trial and error, open pages and see what they are. When you find an unwanted site you block if in the DNS server. Someone told me there is a list that you can download that has most of the "unwanted" sites, but I only found programs. Ive also heard of a box that sonic wall or pandasoft created to stop some of that, but there is a cost.

I'd start off putting in all the sites that you know of. BC the internet was made for ****. And I think you might know some, ;) .

But, I would make sure you DHCP server is giving out the DNS of the server and not the ISP, and if anyone smart enough to know the IPS DNS is locked out of changing the IP, just block that ability and run command in GPO. If they know the IPS DNS then they can put that in and not router to your DNS server, but to the ISP and they're able, once again to see the pages.

3. to hide this advert.