1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Live One Care... Opinions?

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Scott Smith, 2006/08/06.

1. 2006/08/06
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni Thread Starter

2. 2006/08/06
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Scott Smith--This may not be a popular answer.
    I tried some of the parts of OneCare when they were in beta. I saw nothing bad, but also nothing better than what I can do with bits and pieces from other suppliers, many free and well proven over the years.
    Also, your local office supply store (or maybe the internet) will often have a better price than $50 after rebates. Look in the Sunday circulars.
    The argument for "Suites" (many programs in one application) is compatibility. But I have never had a compatibility problem with my bits and pieces.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/08
    Scott Smith

Wow I would have thought this would have got a lot more replys.

5. 2006/08/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Scott

Never been near it and have absolutely no intention of doing so :) I prefer tried and tested independent apps under my control.

IMO Counterspy is somewhat better than Windows Defender although both started out based on the same engine......

6. 2006/08/11
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

Consumer Reports magazine (September 2006 issue, I think), has a cover report about "Avoiding Spyware, Viruses, & Trojans" (or something like that). If I recall correctly, it includes comparison ratings of some suites.

The September issue might be in the hands of only subscribers right now but it should show up in stores soon. (I don't have a subscription but I know someone who does.) :) You might be able to find the September issue right now in your local library.

7. 2006/08/11
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hey Scott,

Jim mentioned one arguement in favor of suites - compatibility, another is convenience - no need to assemble "bits and pieces ".

The arguement against suites are, one, not all the elements are the best that can be had, and two, if a problem occurs with an element, the problems caused are just that much bigger and harder to deal with.

I'm of the "bits and pieces" school; like Pete, I like control :)

Regards - Charles

8. 2006/08/11
    Scott Smith

I stuck it on my wifes laptop as a trial to see how it goes.
    Time will tell.

9. 2006/08/11
    Skipslot

Skipslot Inactive

I was a member of the original beta team and eventually obtained a free copy of the final product. The one thing I can say was it was definitely a learning experience. Naturally it was buggy in the beginning so just getting the software to run was a chore. I had a MS employee who worked with me during various stages and they took me to places on my computer that I had little idea existed. But it was fun and I learned alot.
    Microsoft's concern with viruses is a natural reaction to what is happening on the Windows environment. They historically depended on 3rd party vendors like Norton and McAfee to protect their customers from virus attacks and malware infections. When it became obvious that they could not do this they decided to fight them on their own, that's where OneCare came into being. As a result, Symantic took Microsoft to court over their partnership they use to have. OneCare is new and not as effective as some of the other software out there currently, but Onecare has one item the other anti-virus/anti-spyware competitors don't have and that's Microsoft's resources behind them.
    Personally I think its a bit scary that a firm like MS can dominate the market the way they do, especially since practically everyone uses their products. But its a company and they will do what they can to turn a profit, eliminate the competition and create stock that's a value to its shareholders.

10. 2006/08/11
    TarheelMagic

TarheelMagic Inactive

Windows One Care

[FONT= "Comic Sans MS"][SIZE= "3"]I have used WindowsOneCare since beta. I am very satisfied. I also have TrendMicro suite on my son's PC. I cannot see a lot of differences in performance however the backup feature of WindowsOneCare is very nice if you have an extra harddrive. I was for a long time a piece mill guy, but have since found out that suites are more efficient for the average user. I do not have any pop up or spyware problems using WindowsOneCare, even with the pop up blocker in Explorer turned off. I also believe WindowsOneCare is Microsoft's best product.[/SIZE][/FONT]

11. 2006/08/12
    madora

madora Inactive

Windows Live OneCare

As an intermediate computer user who was using Norton Antivirus and Black Ice Defender firewall, I am very happy with Windows Live OneCare. I was experiencing compatibility problems. I was not backing up. I was tired of having to go to different places to run antivirus, antispyware, check on firewall, do WIN updates, clear unnecessary files, and defrag hard drive. Then I had to do the same with my husbands computer and with our laptop.

So, now I have Windows Live OneCare on my desktop and laptop and all of the above is being done very easily and, so far, very successfully. Furthermore, I have a one year subscription licensed for 3 computers and I purchased it from Amazon.com for $19.95.

I am a senior citizen and know many senior citizens since my husband and I live in a retirement community. I hear every day about the best way to do things on the computer. I hear how terrible Microsoft is and how we should use Linux, Firefox, whatever, but certainly not Windows Live OneCare. They pride themselves on their individuality and I do learn a great deal from them.

In the meantime, I am having a lot of fun Using Microsoft products used by the masses and also using products and services from the trend setting Google.

12. 2006/08/12
    James

James Inactive

Hi Madora

I completely understand what you are saying. In fact, my wife's son and daughter-in-law both work for Microsoft and use Windows Live One Care. They're both very successful in their field (her worked on the registry from both Win 95 and 98 before transferring over to a leadership position in X-box 360 and now helping to head up Zune). They know the in's and out's of Windows software like few of us will ever know. Anyway, I'm sure you will be safe with this product and can rest assured that the MS commitment to safer computing is sincere and will be there to further develop this security-ware. All the best.