1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Registry Search Causes BSoD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by martinr121, 2006/08/04.

1. 2006/08/04
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi All: Do a registry search, I'm getting a BSoD. Also I have jv16 Power Tools installed. Search there also causes BSoD. Their registry cleaner does not cause BSoD. Tried in safe mode, same results. Any help will be appreciated.

Take care,

Martin

2. 2006/08/04
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

I certainly don't claim to be an expert with resolving BSOD issues. However, it seems to me the next step would be to use debugwiz to analyze a minidump for the error and post it here. Perhaps someone reading this forum will have some minidump analysis experience and can offer specific suggestions.

I'll look around for the debugwiz application and post a link to it here if you don't find it first (or someone else posts the link). :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/04

mailman Geek Member

5. 2006/08/04

Hey mailman, thanks for the response. Follwed your instructions, am uploading the .txt of the dump. Seems to be a memory problem (the machine's, not mine). I have no idea where to go from here, so if somebody can steer me in the right direction, I will appreciate it.

Take care,

Martin

6. 2006/08/05

mailman Geek Member

Perhaps you (or the owner) "cleaned" the registry in such a way that it's now causing the BSODs. :eek:

If the registry was backed up prior to "cleaning" it, have you tried restoring the registry to its prior state?

Have you tried restoring with System Restore to a Restore Point that was created before your BSOD crashes started?

Can you (or the owner) think of any changes made to the computer immediately prior to the BSODs? If so, perhaps you can undo those changes to get back to a stable system.

=======

I found a fairly understandable article about analyzing BSOD dumps, including minidumps:
    Network World: "How to solve Windows system crashes in minutes "

From what I understand in the article (page 3), your
    DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT
    seems to indicate a driver is likely involved.

Also, according to the article (page 3), your
    IMAGE_NAME: ntoskrnl.exe
    indicates ntoskrnl.exe may be a suspect or involved somehow...although the article states dump data is sometimes misleading (page 4).

Since I'm a novice with minidump analysis, I suggest you wait for input from other more experienced people before proceeding. :)

=======

In the meantime, you can certainly test the system's memory and report your results here.

Page 4 of the article linked above contains a link to a memory diagnostic tool called Memtest86.

Alternatively, you can download the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool from Microsoft.

I have used the Windows Memory Diagnostic on a bootable floppy disk. I'm guessing from your dump data ( "fdc.sys unavailable ") that you might not have a floppy drive installed.

If the computer can boot from CD or a USB flash drive, try to make a bootable Windows Memory Diagnostic CD-R or USB flash drive. After doing that, you may need to modify the system's BIOS (accessed by pressing the Del key at the right time during boot on some systems). You may need to change the boot order to have the BIOS try to boot from your Windows Memory Diagnostic device before it tries the hard drive.

Once you're running the Windows Memory Diagnostic (which does not run in Windows, by the way), it will perform several tests and continue to cycle through the tests until you tell it to stop. It's been awhile since I have really used the tool. There may be some different ways to configure it. If so, I would suggest configuring the tool to throw all its tests to the memory for a few hours at least, even overnight. I think there are 6 different test sets, each set testing memory in a different way. It may take an hour or more to run through all 6 test sets one time. (I don't recall how long.)

Last edited: 2006/08/05
  7. 2006/08/05

Hey mailman, I appreciate your continued interest in this problem. I do have a floppy drive, downloaded and ran MSFT's memory test, all modules passed, no problems with memory that it could detect.

The "ntoskrnl" reference and that "How to solve Windows system crashes in minutes" is talking about is the OS. Then go on to tell you that it is extremely unlikely to be the culprit.

I beleve you are right, it seems to be a driver problem.

I have read it a couple of times and have suceeded in getting more confused. I'll continue to go over it and see if I can decipher and use the debugger with the "symbols" they are talking about.

As far as system restore is concerned, I had just deleted all but the most recent, so I don't have one prior to this crash problem.

I'm afraid that restoring the "cleaned registry" backup might cause more problems because of system changes since it was done. Besides, I don't see how drivers might be affected by a cleaning?

I'll go by your suggestion to wait and see if another member might be able to read that debug log and give some further insight and advice.

Thanks again for your interest and help.

Take care,

Martin