1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Will Wireless g work where b did not?

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by martinr121, 2006/07/29.

1. 2006/07/29
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi All:

I have DSL Modem and a D-Link DI-614+ wireless access point which I purchased to create a wireless home network of 3 desktop computers. I set it up with my XP home box wired and the two other XP Home Boxes with D-Link wireless pci adapters.

Problem was signal strength to two remote desktops was so poor as to render the wireless network inoperable. I took one of the remote Desktops and moved it into proximity of the access point and it worked fine. But from any distance, no joy. It seems I have some aluminum wall cladding in the interior walls between the access point and the remote desktops, apparently contributing to the problem.

I ended up removing the adapters from the remote computers and hard wiring them to the 4 port switch on the D-Link with CAT5 cable. All now connected to wired LAN and it works flawlessly.

Problem is, I can't maintain this setup because of some extensive remodeling to my house with a new addition on the opposite side of the house to where these desktops will be moved. That created a problem, it will be extremely diffcult to run a CAT5 cable to the new locations. I was to dumb to do that during the construction.

So I have been considering trying for wireless again. Also considering buying a laptop which I would want to connect wirelessly. Maybe I could set up my new 32" LCD TV for streaming?

Now the question: I don't want to spend the money on new wireless eqipment unless I have a pretty good idea that it will work. Wireless "g" came out several years after I tried with the "b ".

I'm looking for opinions and recomendations. Is "g ", other than speed better than "b "? Does it have greater range? Is a "Range Extender" a viable option?
    What gear should I try, any reccomendations? I see a lot of Draft "N" gear on Newegg. Anybody using it?

I will appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks and take care,

Martin

2. 2006/07/29
    Jason Qi

Jason Qi Inactive

Maybe you can try some "ethernet over power line" product. Then, you don't have to pave the cable. However, you need buy some "adapters ".

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/07/29

Hi Jason, thanks for the response. I have heard of those powerline adapters, but I thought they were'nt ready for prime time. Have you used them?

Take care,

Martin

5. 2006/07/29
    Skipslot

Skipslot Inactive

Wireless G is backward compatible with B. The speeds of B are rated at 11 Mbps and G is 54 Mbps. If you purchase any new equipment on a G it should be alright for use with your B system. If you are wanting to extend the range of a wireless network there are many ways of doing this, here's a few options, the best way is with bridging the connection, which can be accomplished with daisy chaining the connection:

http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
    http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
    http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html

Haven't heard alot of success stories on the antenna system though, but its worth a try and it sound very cheap, might look a little strange though.

The wireless N systems are pretty new. I have heard conflicting reports on its effectiveness. Its also called a "wireless G on steroids ".
    http://www.pctoday.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2006/t0407/11t07/11t07.asp&guid=247FC2D810354688AA49F71E91186AAF

Also an important part of wireless is security:
    http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

The system I have uses a wireless G with a Linksys wrt54g. I really enjoy the wireless on my laptop as I can take my computer anywhere on my property and connect to the internet and get e-mail. My desktop is hardwired right next to the router.

6. 2006/07/29
    Jason Qi

Jason Qi Inactive

Sorry, I have not used powerline for this situation.

Why do I give you such a suggestion because I think there might be some strong radio interference in your place according your description above.Even the wireless G won't perform well.

Of course, if possible, There is no hurt to try wireless G first.

7. 2006/07/29
    Skipslot

Skipslot Inactive

Basically any appliance that operates on the same frequency level (2.4 GHz) as 802.11b or 802.11g can cause interference with your wireless network. Be sure to keep cordless phones, microwaves and other electrical equipment at least 1 meter away from the access point. Try turning all the electrical equipment close by off to see if the connection improves any or try changing channels on the access point and test it out on your laptop. Disable and then re-enable the wireless connection. Also building structure causes problems like in masonry designs and steel as the signal can not penetrate it.

I use Net Stumbler to test my signal strength and to get info on mine and any other WiFi hotspot I might connect to while I travel. Its a great tool to see what you are getting into before you actually connect but can be used to look at settings on your own wireless network:
    http://www.netstumbler.com/

8. 2006/07/30

Hi All, Thanks for the responses. I have read the links and am familiar with Net Stumbler. I'll try the suggestions.

I see where Linksys is offering a "Powerline Extender" It got fair reviews in PC Extreme Magazine. It's pretty pricey and I apparently would need 2 of them. Anybody have any experience with that?

Thanks again,

Take care,

Martin