1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Questions about new computers (Vista Capable)

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by bfan, 2006/07/27.

1. 2006/07/27
    bfan

bfan Banned Thread Starter

New computers saying Windows Vista Capable Should these be ok to buy?
    I mean I hear so many storys.
    Thanks for any help on this

bfan,
  2. 2006/07/27
    Topdog

Topdog Inactive

Shouldn't be a problem. You don't have to put Vista on it, just means it meets the requirements for Vista which I believe are rather unique...

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/07/28
    mailman Lifetime Subscription

mailman Geek Member

Hi, bfan.

Just in case you're not aware, Windows Vista is the new version of the Windows operating system (currently in public beta and the retail version is expected to be released in 2007).

If I was in the market for a new computer, I would probably get one that is a "Windows Vista Premium Ready PC" and I would make sure it meets or exceeds the hardware requirements to take advantage of all the features Vista will offer.

If you anticipate using Windows Vista instead of the existing Windows XP or you expect to upgrade to Windows Vista in the next year or two (and if you want to take advantage of all of Vista's features), I suggest you look at the specs for any computer you're interested in and make sure they meet or exceed the specs for a "Windows Vista Premium Ready PC" as described in Arie's Windows Vista Beta 2 Review.

I would be wary of purchasing a computer that is simply labeled as "Windows Vista Capable" because chances are almost any new computer you buy these days will meet or exceed the minimum requirements to run Windows Vista. It's just a question whether the computer has the hardware to take advantage of all of Vista's features.

Read Arie's Windows Vista Beta 2 Review for more details and a taste of what to expect with Windows Vista. There is a "Next Page" button near the bottom of each page to read additional pages of Arie's review.

If the "Aero" features of Windows Vista are not important to you, then be certain the computer's hardware specs at least meet the minimum requirements for Windows Vista (also described in Arie's Windows Vista Beta 2 Review).

Last edited: 2006/07/28
  5. 2006/07/29
    Topdog

Topdog Inactive

Mailman has certainly expanded on my rather simplisitc reply....That should give you plenty to think about....

6. 2006/07/31
    bfan

bfan Banned Thread Starter

Questions About Windows Vista

Would a Computer like this Work at its full with Vista?

Operating System Genuine Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E6600 (2.4GHz)
    Memory 2GB DDR2-667MHz dual channel SDRAM (2x1024)
    Hard Drive 250GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s & NCQ Hard Drive
    Primary CD/DVD Drive LightScribe 16X DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive edit
    Front Productivity Ports 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, video
    Networking No Modem
    TV & Entertainment Experience Single NTSC TV tuner with PVR, FM tuner, remote
    Graphics Card 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, TV-Out and 2 DVI
    Sound Card Integrated 7.1 channel sound w/front audio ports
    Keyboard and Mouse HP Keyboard, HP Scroller Mouse edit
    Productivity Software Microsoft(R) Works 8.0/Money 2006/MSN Encarta Plus

bfan,
  7. 2006/07/31
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

8. 2006/08/04
    lipsum1992

lipsum1992 Inactive

It should run it. The windows vista requirements are something like 1.5GB hard drive space, 128mb ram and a 1.3ghz processor. Not overall sure if there the exact requirements but its something like that. You might need to download some drivers for things like the soundcard and graphics card ect as windows vista might not be compatible to actualy install drivers automaticaly for you. Plug and play things like monitors and so on will be read by vista automaticaly but as i said your probably need to download the drivers for the soundcard and so forth your self. Hope this helps.

9. 2006/08/04
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

Lipsum1992

Vista will not run on 1.5GB disk space (needs 15GB minimum) nor 128MB RAM (512MB is slow) and a 1.3GHz CPU will be useless.

The original poster's specification is OK.