1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

WGA notification

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by russarkie, 2006/06/27.

1. 2006/06/27
    russarkie

russarkie Inactive Thread Starter

Perhaps this has been asked and answered before, if so I apologize, but Microsoft Updates is telling me that I need to download KB905474. This update was downloaded and installed on 5/28/2006 according to the Add/Remove programs. Why is this showing up and should I download and install it again? :confused: Up 'til now this transition from ME to XP has been great but now I keep getting this! What's up? Thanks and best regards

2. 2006/06/27
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/06/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

KB905474 has been updated several times following criticism of it's spyware like activities i.e. phoning home I received notification of the latest version today.

5. 2006/06/28
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

I also received another request to install KB905474 (previously installed 6-03-06). Today's has Date last published: 6-27-06
    Can not find any details for this version. Will sit on it for a day or two and continue to monitor wBBS thread Question about Updates

6. 2006/06/28
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

My advice is once its installed and you don't want to uninstall it, then continue to update it.

In that thread that Dennis referenced, Rockster posted an MS article to get rid of it entirely if the patch causes a problem or for anyone that just doesn't like it.

For the record, I never installed it to begin with, so its a non issue for me.

Regards - Charles

7. 2006/06/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Hi Charles

I read that MS article swiftly - it referred to the pilot WGA - I would not be sure that the article refers to the current version. That would defeat MS's object of curtailing piracy.

I have seen a website on which a WGA workaround had been withdrawn - 'at MS's request' - read threat of legal action :)

8. 2006/06/28

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

If enough "concern" was lodge from legitimate owners, do you feel MS will provide a "opt-out" of installed Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications and have it run online during monthly update?

9. 2006/06/28
    charlesvar

Hi Pete,

From my understanding, the KB patch originally offered and updated is the "Pilot" program.

Perhaps the confusion is with the Validation requirement when downloading an MS program such as Winders Defender and also called WGA and has been around for some time now. The difference I think is that the patch continually "phones home" while the original WGA checks the validity of the installation prior to a download of an MS program.

Regards - Charles

10. 2006/06/28
    balo

balo Inactive

balo,
  11. 2006/06/28
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Hats off to Charlesvar again for trying to bring some understanding to those that might be a little confused. In relation to XP, the operating system, there are two, yes two WGA programs. Validation and Notification. The notification is the one that most have been screaming about because of its phone home spyware feature. The validation is the one that actually blocks all but critical updates on bogus XP installations. Microsoft posted a fix for removal of the Notification late last night.

Now to confuse it further (unless you carefully read what Charles said) there are WGA checks for IE7 Beta, Windows Defender, Media Player 11 and Direct X10 as I understand it. These are independent of the two above referenced WGA programs. The moral of the story is that Microsoft is doing a pretty good job of enhancing the value of legitimate software despite some obvious mis-steps that have cost them dearly within the IT community. By-line includes advice that he or she who is using automatic updates sleeps with a fool on their pillow.

;)

12. 2006/06/28

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Hey, have been speaking to my wife. :) :D :eek:

13. 2006/06/29
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

This may be "water under the bridge" now but it seems to me like it depends on how one manages the updates. I have set the Automatic feature to "Notify but do nothing ". When I get the notification, I go to Windows Update and download manually to the hard disk and install from there. At Windows Update, I have on two or three occasions been prompted to "download a vital component" prior to checking for updates. According to Add/Remove, the last installation of the Validation Tool was on 2006-03-03. I have never been "offered" KB905474.

Christer

14. 2006/06/29
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Just to add fuel to the fire, if you do install WGA Notifications (KB905474), then try to remove it in Add/Remove, you'll be told This update cannot be removed. "ET phone home ", indeed.

15. 2006/06/29
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Well, I do have a T-shirt which says "Kick me, I'm stupid!" on the back but I'm not wearing it right now ... ;) ... !

That's one of the benefits from a Ghost Imaging Strategy ... :rolleyes: ... it can be "removed" ... :cool: ... !

Christer

16. 2006/06/29
    charlesvar

Hi Christer,

From Arie's article User pressure spurs Microsoft to dial back WGA http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=55560
    in the News section:
    Swedes so far seem to have escaped this particular "security" update :D

Not sure that is what happened.
    Regards - Charles