1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Text size in IE6

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Gerryex, 2006/06/22.

1. 2006/06/22
    Gerryex

Gerryex Inactive Thread Starter

Hi ALL,

I just did a clean install of WinXP on a brand new PC. I also installed SP2 and all the critical updates. All the drivers are the most recent, and I'm running at 1600 x 1200 with "Large Fonts." Everything is working nicely, but I'm having trouble getting the text size set up for Internet Explorer. I have the View Text Size set to Larger, and some of the text is good, but other text is real small and I can't seem to find any way to change it.

For example on this, and all other forums I visit, when I look at a list of threads, the title of the thread has a good text size, but the description below it and the number of of people viewing it has a very small text size. Changing the View - Text Size has no effect on that text. Similarly, in the thread itself, the post itself has a good text size but the profile info is the small text that I can't seem to change.

On my old PC all of the text was set at a good size, but I have no idea what I set there that I'm missing with my new PC.

Thanks,
    Gerry

2. 2006/06/22
    Mudd

Mudd Inactive

What may help you is to set the Fonts to ignore Web Page setting. With IE open, Tools, Internet Options and on the General Window select Accessibility. There will be 4 options there. Put a check mark in the second and third ones.

This should help you with the Font Size on IE.

Mudd,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/06/22
    Gerryex

Gerryex Inactive Thread Starter

Hi Mudd,

BEAUTIFUL!!!

I knew there was a setting to get rid of those microscopic fonts. Why on earth those settings are only in the Accessibility tab is a mystery!!!

Thanks again,
    Gerry

5. 2006/06/22
    Mudd

Mudd Inactive

Thanks for letting us know. Welcome to the Forum.

Mudd,
  6. 2006/06/23
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

This is because if a site has html code that sets the font size of a page using CSS pixel size of fonts, then the browser cannot change the text size. If the code is set using CSS % font sizes then the browser can change the font size. Accessability overides all browser settings and html code in pages.

7. 2006/06/23
    grumpy125

grumpy125 Inactive

Windows XP Fonts

Further to the good response about Font Sizes in Windows XP: If you're still having trouble reading them, try this: >Tools>Internet Options>Fonts There select Arial for Web Page Fonts. click ok. From Internet Options go back to Accessibility. Now check Ignore Font Styles. Click ok and Ok. You will get away from the default New Times Roman and other more difficult to read fonts. I am legally blind and use this to great benefit for myself. But I have also shown this to many people who just find reading on the WWW a pain in the eyes.

8. 2006/06/24
    balo

balo Inactive

Just remember if you wish to enlarge a particular word, for emphasis, in OE when it is set to HTML you will not be able to unless you remove those checks.

balo,