1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Add Domain user to local XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by emance6986, 2006/06/02.

1. 2006/06/02
    emance6986

emance6986 Inactive Thread Starter

HI,

I just added a new XP Pro machine to the domain (Win2k3) and want to add a domain user account to the local power users group. When I go to add the domain user, I am unable to change location to the Domain. I can only see local machine users. After a period of time I am able to add the domain user. I have seen this problem when adding a new member server as well. I suspect there is a synchonization that takes place after the computer joins the domain. Is there a way to force this? Can someone explain this to me? Thanks for your help,

Eric

2. 2006/06/02
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

In practace the way I do it...

Log on to the machine with the domain user account you want to add locally.

Click Start/ Control panel/ users

You will be prompted for credentuals to do so.
    Provide the Domain Administrator credentuals

Add the user and the domain (not the local machine) and give the appropiate user rights.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/06/06
    mjg1973

mjg1973 Inactive

Have you tried logging on to that workstation as the domain administrator and going to Control Panel - Users? I've joined a couple computers to the domain over the years and always add the primary user of the machine to the local administrator group. I've never had one not let me do it...ever.

5. 2006/06/07
    psuedo

psuedo Inactive

Check the DNS setup on the client machines and make sure they are pointing to the correct server. This can stop the domain showing in the locations section when you are trying to pick the user.