1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Whats The best Anti Virus?

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by error, 2006/06/01.

1. 2006/06/01
    error

error Banned Thread Starter

Im wondering What Anti-Viruses Do people use and how good are they? Post Your Anti-Virus here and How good you think it is.

2. 2006/06/01
    JohnB Lifetime Subscription

JohnB Well-Known Member

I'm using eTrust AV. Light on resources as I have a resource challenged computer (Win98SE/192MB Ram/500mhz/dial-up connection).

Daily updates (except weekends), usually small, 10-90 KB compared to 6-10MB for the big name AV's. So far quite pleased with it, a couple of glitches occaisionally, sometimes doesn't start the real-time e-mail scanner on boot up, a reboot usually fixes this. Occaisionally will download a full av signature file and will not restart the real-time scanners. Have to then download and manually install the av sig. file. This usually fixes the problem.

Has not let any viri through since I have used it.

Would recommend it for resource challenge computers.:)

PS: Former Norton AV user, got fed up with NAV constantly messing up and telling me to re-install as the only fix.:mad:

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/06/01
    error

I use Kaspersky At the Moment. But I was Looking At Avg It seems Pretty Good. light on resources. Although There Anti-Virus Database Doesnen't Look good, Which Is not good for me as I download alot of stuff. Does Anyone use avg Anymore?

5. 2006/06/01
    MinnesotaMike

MinnesotaMike Geek Member

In the last month or so, I have switched my 3 systems (2 XP and 1 Win98) from Norton to AVG. I have been really happy with it so far. Not a single problem with AVG since I installed it. I usually get updates every day and my systems run faster. The speed change with the 98 system is like night and day. I'd recommend trying it.

Mike

6. 2006/06/01
    James

James Inactive

My wife uses AVG on her computer and I've bounced back and forth between AVG and Etrust. Not sure which I prefer... both seem reliable... easy on resources... daily updates... and easy to configure. Most importantly, neither seems to dig deeply into the registry like Norton and McAfee AND both are free (well... Etrust is free for the first year).

All the best

7. 2006/06/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

FWIW ....

Etrust on the main desktop - daily use - 10 - 15 hours on the Internet

AVG Free on everything else - laptops and other desktop

No problems

I also dumped Norton a year ago - too bloated, too intrusive and too expensive.

8. 2006/06/02
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

After using Norton A/V (Symantec) for several years, I switched to NOD32 two years ago. I can't say enough good things about this program, I would highly recommend it.

B :cool:

9. 2006/06/02
    keithsince59

keithsince59 Inactive

i agree with most, i purchased norton, but when my year is up i will use avg as i,ve heard good things about avg.

10. 2006/06/02
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

IMHO, there is no one-size-fits-all, cookie-cutter <insert type of software/hardware here> solution that will work for everyone, all of the time.

What's "best" for you may not be what's "best" for me, and vice versa. Different people, different circumstances, different operating systems, different setups, etc., etc., etc., all need somewhat different solutions.

A/an <insert type of software/hardware here> that doesn’t fit your style of working, or that takes too long, or is too complicated, or is too simple, or is incompatible with your computer, or is too expensive, or gives you any other reason to avoid using it, is next to worthless.

The "best" <insert type of software/hardware here> solution for you is one that works for you and is one that you'll use.

11. 2006/06/02
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello error,

KAV is one of the best, if you want to lighten the load, then disable Web protection, I think thats redundant. Any download hits the Browser cache - TIF (Temporary Internet Files) and KAV will scan that and deal with it there.

Agree with Mr B about NOD, another excellent AV, Highly configurable (controlable :) ) because of its modular design and probably the best Hueristics AV around.

Regards - Charles

12. 2006/06/02
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

I concur with SpywareDr. I have used Norton, McAfee, PC-Cillin, AVG, Avast in the past. When I didn't care for their abilities to protect, hogging resources, becoming too restrictive and/or poor support I switched to Panda Titanium. I have using it for 3 1/2 years now and have watched it evolve into an all-in-one program that suits my needs and offers great support for a reasonable price. I have had minor issues with it, but working with Panda support these issues were resolved fast and satisfactorily. I offer my customers their choice of anti-virus and if they request something free I install Avast. I have found it to be slightly better than AVG with it's protection and definitions updates.

13. 2006/06/02
    error

SpywareDr, Im Asking What the Best Anti Virus Is So I can Get Opinions In which I should Try. Im Not here To find the exsact BEst Anti-Virus Im just here to See Which Anti-Viruses People Like And Dislike. So When A new person From The internet world Looks at this They Will see Diffrent Opinions and see's Which One bests Fits Her/Him.

14. 2006/06/04
    Zykan

Zykan Inactive

I totally agree!!

15. 2006/06/04
    James

James Inactive

But I like free. :)

I've used AVG for four years and Etrust for a year and I've never had a virus in that time. So, had I paid the $40 during that time that adds up to $200 I've saved. I like $200 in my pocket instead of some AV company's. It means I can have more fun on other things. I'm not knocking NOD just saying that as long as the free AV is working flawlessly (and it is), then why tamper with success?

All the best

16. 2006/06/04
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

I just renewed my NOD32 last week... $27.30 USD

B :cool:

17. 2006/06/04
    thestadiumguy

thestadiumguy Well-Known Member

I removed the very top-heavy NAV 2006 and installed AVG Free about a week ago. Daily updates, quick scans, very light on resources. So far, so good. Mo problems. I think it's a keeper!

Brad

18. 2006/06/04
    James

James Inactive

That's cool. But last time I checked, $0 beats $27.30. At that rate, you've spent in excess of $100 for the same protection I've had in the past five years but the results have been identical - no viruses.

Really, if it floats your boat, go for it. As I said, I'm not messing around with success and success for me has been the free version of AVG. :)

All the best

19. 2006/06/09
    russshoe

russshoe Inactive

mcafee Enterprise8.0i

20. 2006/06/10
    Bestway

Bestway Well-Known Member

NOD 32, yes a friendly effective AV!

I use NOD 32 as well and I can just say is light, not struggling with other apps and more than that very effective.
    I am surprised not many people use, refer or recommend it!

21. 2006/06/10
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello Bestway and welcome to the Board :)

I'm not supprised, here in the US, if you walk into a computer products store, its wall to wall Symantec - McAfee.

If you order a computer from one of the OEM's, what is it pre loaded with? The majors.

I'm just supprised that NOD - KAV are doing as well as they are in the US market. In their home territories, they are the majors. KAV in Russia/Eastern Europe, NOD in eastern Europe.

Regards - Charles