1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Free Anti Spam software for OE

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by PAULDEP, 2006/05/14.

1. 2006/05/14
    PAULDEP

PAULDEP Well-Known Member Thread Starter

[FONT= "Comic Sans MS"]Hello , I'm going to be using OE I guess for my E-mail software. Does anyone know a decent Free Spam fighting program for OE ?? I used Mozilla's T-Bird and loved it but I goofed up something and I'm going to try Outlook Express again.

Thanks for any help,
    ~~Paul :cool: [/FONT]

2. 2006/05/14
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

PAULDEP--Lots of people love MailWasher. It comes in a free version.
    http://www.mailwasher.net/
    Does your ISP offer a spam filter? Often you must ask that it be activated. And then you must report spam that gets through to help "educate" the filter. (But so does MailWasher.)
    OE also offers Tools|Message Rules.
    However, no antispam procedure is perfect. If your email address is on a spammer's list, you will still get some spam. And even then, with much spam now being generated by computer, where addresses are created at random, you will get some of that, too, if your ISP is one of the bigger ones.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/05/14
    PAULDEP

Thanks Jim,,It only takes care of 1 e-mail address but thats cool. Maybe some others will have ideas also..
    Again, Thank You
    ~~Paul

5. 2006/05/14
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

PAULDEP--
    You will have to get Pro ($37) for more than one. Though maybe someone knows how to configure the free version for more than one.
    P.S. I use no antispam program. My email provider has a moderately efficient program. Are you getting a lot more spam than usual lately? Was Mozilla more efficient in blocking spam? Or just a different email address?

6. 2006/05/15
    PAULDEP

Jim, Mozila Thunderbird was very good at blocking the Spam :rolleyes: It seems to be lots of Spam on OE but maybe after I use the Messages/Block senders/ and the Create Rules it will be stronger at deleting the Spam.
    Its hard to believe that their isn't a bunch of Anti-Spam programs (Freeware)

Thanks,,
    Paul :cool:

7. 2006/05/15
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

8. 2006/05/15
    txclaw

txclaw Inactive

9. 2006/05/16
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

I use K9 for spam. Works with almost all the email clients & gets progressively better at working out what is spam & what is not based on your requirements.

Highly recommended.

http://keir.net/k9.html

10. 2006/05/16
    PAULDEP

Thank you Jim, TXCLAW, & rsinfo, some great choices here. I will try them out and let you know how I do. Jim, It just has seemed to me that I am able to "train" Thunderbird E-mail to remember & delete the Spam better than OE.

~~Paul

11. 2006/05/16
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

PAULDEP--I was about to start this post off by saying
    "As far as I am concerned the only really effective antispam techniques are whitelists and Bayesian filters" and therefore I wondered how Thunderbird could be better than OE.
    Then I came across this article
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_filtering
    and learned that Thunderbird uses Bayesian filtering!! :D
    There are a few commercial Bayesian filtering antispam programs for OE out there, but they are not free.
    http://www.google.com/search?source...GLD:en&q=bayesian+filters+for+outlook+express

12. 2006/05/16
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Welshjim, K9 is a Bayesian filtering antispam program. Try it & you would be amazed at the results.

13. 2006/05/17
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Thought I would post the URL for K9 , mentioned by rsinfo
    http://www.keir.net/k9.html
    Looks good. But I see it will work only with POP3 email accounts.

14. 2006/05/17
    PAULDEP

Jim, I'm trying K9

Jim, your without a doubt the Olympic Gold Medal winner at getting back a post to help someone. I'm trying K-9 and learning the way it works. So far I'm a baloon head but i'm stubborn. Thanks as always for the help..
    Paul :confused:

15. 2006/05/17
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

PAULDEP--And Bayesian filter systems take a little while to get educated as to what you think is spam.

16. 2006/06/03
    murphy2006

murphy2006 Inactive

I found free Mailwasher to be satisfactory:)

17. 2006/06/06
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Get even with Spammers?

Yesterday I got a spam message inviting me to borrow money on the house. Nothing unusual about that, since I could have mortgaged the house hundreds of times, but this one came in 6 times. I get so tired of deleting spam in the first place and this one coming in six times made me angry.

In a knee jerk reaction, I hit "reply" then "send" about 10 times, figuring I'd get even. Maybe cram his mailbox. The emails apparently went through, I did not receive any "undeliverable" message from the ISP.

The downside of doing this is that the spammer now has confirmed he has a good email address, mine.

Today though, I got to thinking. What if everybody who receives a spam message took the time to hit "reply" "send" multiple times, the spammers email address/server would get jammed up. Let's say the spammer sends out 10,000 spam messages, (from what I've read, that is a conservative number) and all the recipients did a "reply" "send" 10 times, the spammer would receive 100,000 emails. I suspect that would do in his ISP.

Before I try to promote this idea, I'd like to know if the idea has merit. Any geeks here who might know if we could turn the tables on the spammers?

Take care,

Martin

18. 2006/06/07
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

19. 2006/06/08
    martinr121 Lifetime Subscription

martinr121 Inactive

Good greif Jim, I had no idea! Are these people so invunerable that they can dictate who can use the web and for what purpose? Based on what happened to Blue Frog it seems so. Hard to believe!

Anyhow, thanks for the info, I guess my idea has a few basic flaws.:eek:

Seems there is still a lot of dampness behind my ears.

You take care,

Martin

20. 2006/06/11
    dbswinford

dbswinford Inactive

This site is infected by trojan!

I followed this link, decided that I wanted to RTFM before installing K9, so I used the "download help file" link. Immediately, my McAfee popped up with a warning that the file was infected with the "Exploit-CodeBase.chm" trojan, and couldn't be cleaned. I was able to delete the file, however:eek:

Needless to say, I didn't try any other link on the site (which says the page was updated April 18, 2004 :confused: ). Rats! I was really looking forward to trying out what I hoped was a solution for Outlook Express :(

21. 2006/06/11
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

dbswinford--I certainly am sorry to hear that. Thanks for letting us know.
    Since I have not downloaded or installed the program, I have no experience. (rsinfo made the original suggestion of this program.)
    When you say "download Help file ", do you mean "KeirNet CHM file download ", one or more of the items in the list starting with "Expert Guide--Quick Start" or a Help file that comes with the download of the .exe of .zip versions of the K9 program itself?
    Has anyone else had this problem? rsinfo??