1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Unable to Uninstall Java

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Josue Barocio, 2006/04/09.

1. 2006/04/09
    Josue Barocio

Josue Barocio Inactive Thread Starter

My Java installation stopped working when I installed Java 5.0 over Java 1.3.1.

I uninstalled 1.3.1 successfully through Add/Remove Programs, but that didn't help. Then I tried uninstalling 5.0 but Add/Remove programs gives me a message: "Java is already installed. Please remove product through add/remove utility before reinstalling. "

The installation verifier at Java.com flunks my installation. I can find no other way to remove Java other than through Add/Remove programs, but that doesn't work.

Any ideas how I can uninstall Java so I can reinstall it?

2. 2006/04/09
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Josue Barocio--How do you know Java is not working?
    You can run a test to see what version of Java is in fact now installed on your PC.
    http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp
    You will need to allow ActiveX controls to run. Easiest way is to put that site into your Trusted sites.

If that does not help, see post #7 here
    http://groups.google.com/group/micr...a64d220e8da/73be6133a1640872#73be6133a1640872
    Since this involves editing the Registry, be sure to back up the key before making changes. Registry File|Export.

Last edited: 2006/04/09

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/04/09
    Josue Barocio

Thank you for the fast response Welshjim. I don't believe I used the verification link correctly. The page I went to had four sections, one of which was for Windows XP. I think the idea is to see the animated dancing Duke but I could not locate a "Go" button in the page to start them dancing. All four Dukes were still.

As for the information in Post #7, I followed the instructions but did not find any keys in the registry with the entry "JRE ". I did find two keys with references to Java: "JAVA VM" and "Tridata Java ", both of which I set to 0 in the registry as indicated in the post.

Since the above didn't work, I then let CCleaner analyze the registry and it found an unused key with a reference to "Java2" among six other unused keys. I let CCleaner remove the keys.

Again, after restarting Windows, I got the "Java is already installed" message when I attemped to remove Java.

BTW, I'm running XP Home SP2. I'll be traveling over the next two days and won't be online. I appreciate the assist.

5. 2006/04/10
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Josue Barocio--On the Java Test page, if you have Java installed and if you have allowed ActiveX controls to run, you should see a fifth Duke dancing close the top under the heading "Test your JVM ". You will also be told the version of Java installed.
    (The other four Dukes are stationary and just examples of what you might see using the various systems.)
    So either you do not have Java installed, or you have not allowed ActiveX Controls to run. Did you put the site into your Trusted Sites? (Uncheck the box "Require Server verification... ".) You can also do it from IE Tools|Internet Options|Security tab|Custom Level|set "Run ActiveX controls and plugins" to Enable|Apply. However, doing it from Trusted Sites is easier.

The fact that you found Java VM in one of those long alphanumeric entries in the Registry implies that you do have Java installed. Did you click on the various alphanumeric entries on the left panel and then look for JRE in the right panel. (You are not looking for JRE or Java VM in the left panel.) You could also try a Registry Edit|Find on JRE, but that is not a very efficient search engine.
    If none of the above work, I am afraid, I have no more ideas other than a System Restore to a date prior to all this happening, or (shudder) a reinstallation of Windows. If you do a System Restore, and get Java 1.3 back, uninstall 1.3 before installing 5.0.
    Regrets but Good Luck!

Last edited: 2006/04/10
  6. 2006/04/11
    Dcrypter

Dcrypter Inactive

Check and see if you computer is using SUN JAVA or MSJVM. That might be causing problems. Goto Add/Remove Programs Click on the Set Program Access and Defaults.

7. 2006/04/13
    Josue Barocio

OK Welshjim and Dcrypter, everything is looking good now :)

Actually Welshjim, your first post was right on the money. The problem was that in the link you recommended: http://groups.google.com/group/micro...be6133a1640872/8 the author suggested looking for a key with the entry "JRE" which I did not find even after doing a registry edit > search.

I finally got a chance to get back to my computer this afternoon. Since the Java entry in Add-Remove Programs was titled "J2SE Runtime Environment" rather than "JRE..." I decided to edit > search the registry for J2SE and located a key, along with its subdirectory. It was in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > Installer > Products > 8AF842331866D117AB7000B0D510006.

After backing-up the key I deleted it. The Java entry disappeared from the Add-Remove Programs and I was then able to install Java 1.5.0_06 normally. The Duke on the Java test site is now dancing-up a storm.

Many thanks for your help!

8. 2006/04/14
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Josue Barocio--You are welcome.
    Thanks for posting back with the good news. Now we all have learned what works!!