1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Can you password protect a folder in a public directory?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ggreg, 2006/03/14.

1. 2006/03/14
    ggreg

ggreg Inactive Thread Starter

We have one family computer in the house as of right now, we all use the same system. Everybody has their own user accounts and I am the only one with admin rights. I have set it up so that no one can see my file folders under their accounts, but my youngest was able to get into my account anyway.

I only did this because originally on our old system my smart underaged youngster somehow deleted half the hy mem off the hard drive.

I have some documents I want to make sure stay protected. So I was wondering if it were possible to password protect particular file folders in the "My Documents" directory (folder)?

2. 2006/03/14
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Have you password protected your account? If yes, change the password, if no give it one. When you are on the password screen, you would be asked 'Do you want to make your folder Private?' (or something like it). Click Yes. Log off. Now only you can view the contents of your My Documents folder.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/03/15
    ggreg

yeah done that. My account is password protected and I have made all of my folders private, but there are times that I need to give my wife access to those same folders. so it 's a matter of putting those files in the shared documents directory (folder), but I don't want the these files in the shared directory cause then the kids have access when on the computer.

I can't always be home when they are on the computer to watch over them. so I was wondering if I could keep them in my folder and just protect certain folders. My wife has the password to my account.

5. 2006/03/15
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

The following would work in XP Pro (not sure about XP Home).

1. Turn off Simple File Sharing. My Computer->Tools->View->Simple File Sharing.
    2. Create a new folder.
    3. Assign proper rights so that only you and your wife can access the files in this folder. Right Click->Properties->Security.

That's it. Now only you two can access the files.

6. 2006/03/16
    ggreg

yeah I have xp pro. I think that I can see what your saying here. But it seems like instead of making my "my documents" folder private ( like it is now) I just make the sub folder private. I'm trying it out now.

7. 2006/03/17
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

With XP Home, there is a way to do this. This info is for someone searching for the solution for this. You would need to start in Safe Mode, and log on as the Administrator, an account with Administrator rights is not enough, then set Folder Permissions.
    How to do this here and here.
    Be sure to Password the Administrator account before logging off.

8. 2006/03/18
    skeet6961

skeet6961 Inactive

i'd do what rsinfo sez. eg - make it OUTSIDE of mydocs entirely. and then just assign privs for u/mrs to that folder tree. the default is to 'inherit' perms and, if u change that under mydocs, u'r just askin for trouble. don't do it ;)

9. 2006/03/18
    ggreg

thank you ggentlemen, this is more along the solution in which I am searching for. But perhaps I just need to really set my foot down with my boys and set some more "computer rules and privileges" for them. Take away their computer time when they 'do' what they have been instructed 'not to do'.

The problem in which I was facing was if they had (someway or another) gained access to my account. There are times when the mrs would log in under me and maybe leave me logged in when giving the boys permission to use the computer. They are smart enough and know how to log me off and log into their own accounts, but sometimes the curiousity could be a little much for them.

gaining access to my account would be where the problem lies. all other settings and options in windows xp doesn't allow for multiple password securities inside the account.

I'm sure that there may be some kind of password software/program that I may be able to research and purchase later on down the road. See also I own and run my own business and process the vast majority of confidential business information on the home system.

Anyway, I'm rambling, thanks again for all of the clues.

10. 2006/03/18
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Well ggreg, with 2 kids of my own, I can understand your problem. You can make your account a little more secure by decreasing the Screen Saver time to 2-3 minutes & checking 'On resume, password protect'.

If you want to secure only one or two folders you can try & install CRYPTAINER LE FREE ENCRYPTION SOFTWARE from http://www.cypherix.com/downloads.htm. I have been using it for last 6 months & its good.

11. 2006/03/18
    ggreg

Okay, RSInfo, that's basically what I was concluding. I know that there had to be some kind of software out there that I would have to access separately and upload it to the computer. I was hoping though that windows xp would have covered it for me.

Thanks for the link.

12. 2006/03/18
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

You are welcome.