1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

"Limited or no connectivity" with wireless desperation

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by kilk1, 2006/03/13.

1. 2006/03/13
    kilk1

kilk1 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi all. This is driving me to drink. I have had a wireless home network for about a year now, with no problem, am using a Belkin modem/router plugged into desktop PC (Win XP SP2) and one laptop. My laptop could always connect perfectly, but died 2 weeks ago. So I bought a new one, all set up for wireless. On setting the laptop up for my old wireless network, it 'finds' about 5 unsecured wireless networks - neighbours, etc. - and mine, which is secured (WEP). Fine. So I get it to connect to mine, which is does, but says "Limited or no connectivity" and I can't get on the Web. I have tried using the 'repair' feature, but it says it can't complete it because it is unable to assign an IP. I have tried connecting to various of the neighbours' unsecure networks (just to test, see if network card etc. functioning OK), and this works fine, I can get on the web with these other networks. It's only my network which doesn't work. Nothing has changed with my router for the past 2 weeks since my old laptop bit the dust. I have tried the XP bug fix, the registry fix, etc. as posted in the sticky FAQ on this forum, but this doesn't work. I have turned off power to everything - laptop, PC, router, kitchen sink - and rebooted many times, no luck. I also had a go setting a static IP address on the laptop, but this didn't work either (not actually positive I did it right anyway..! :eek: But something changed, as in a little balloon appeared in my icon tray saying I was now connected to the network...but still no Web access). Oh, and I also tried using ipconfig refresh/renew, which also didn't work (tho' it also told me I hadn't typed it right, so I'm not sure what I did there). If anyone can help me I'd be most grateful, I'm really beginning to lose it now. Many thanks, K

2. 2006/03/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Search here and the net for: Limited or no connectivity

You'll find tons of threads on the subject.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/03/13
    kilk1

kilk1 Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. I did spend about 4 hours doing just that yesterday evening..! I found a lot of stuff, and followed a lot of differing pieces of advice as a result, but still haven't found an answer.

I'll keep looking, but if anyone has any further suggestions I'd really appreciate it. :)

Cheers, K

5. 2006/03/13
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Just ran into the same problem a couple days back. The computer was not able to get the IP address from DHCP. My solution - configured the IP address in Alternate settings. it still searches for the IP address but falls back to the manual IP address after 2-3 minutes.
    May work for you too.

6. 2006/03/31
    Daniel Steinbor

Daniel Steinbor Inactive

Limited or No Connectivity

I encountered this exact message after I replaced the router on our home network. I thought that I had set exactly the same encryption password but, after checking, I found that I had changed one character in it. Thus, my client, was trying to connect with an incorrect password and that is the error message it displays. It does not tell you that the password is incorrect.

So, you should check the WEP key carefully and make sure the client key matches the router key. Alternatively, if both the router and the clients support WPA encryption, it is considerably more secure and you could reset both. I read recently that with a 10 character pre-shared key, it would take over a century for a hacker with multiple computers to crack the key. Secure enough for me!

7. 2006/04/01
    Andy Oon

Andy Oon Inactive

Yep, I've received that same message too.

My home network runs on Netgear router. For the past 2 years, I have had two PCs connecting to that router. One via LAN cable, the other PC via wireless connection with a Netgear wireless adaptor.

Just last month, I changed one of the PCs to a laptop with wireless LAN capability. The pre-installed adaptor is by Broadcom.

It seems that Broadcom adaptor isn't able to consistently maintain a wireless connection with my Netgear router. Both router and adaptor's WEP passkey are identical, I triple checked that. The connection was established only once out of 7 tries. But this particular connection had "Limited or no connectivity ". I couldn't surf the web. :confused:

Finally, there was only one more method before falling back on the last resort.
    I disabled the WEP security setting. It worked. But the wireless connection was not consistent and wasn't connected at the maximum avaliable speed.

I gave up. :mad:

Last resort, connect via LAN cable. No hassle. :cool:

8. 2006/04/01
    eadub40

eadub40 Inactive

Try this simple task. Find the Wireless Network Connections Properties Window and look to see if the "Use Windows To Configure My Wireless Network Settings" is checked. Also, click the "Remove" tab to CLEAR out the entire box located under "Preferred Networks ". Hope this helps. These steps cleared all the issues I had with my wireless connection.

9. 2006/04/01
    TCHAPAIEV Lifetime Subscription

TCHAPAIEV Well-Known Member

Change Channeln°

The same happened to me , months ago , not the breakdown of the laptop but the connection was somehow "lost" ; I called Belkin tech support and they told me to CHANGE THE CHANNEL in the router settings ; the fact taht you do have interferences with other networks might be the cause for the problem ; so change the N° of the channel (you might have to do some trials beacuse your ISP might have several possible channels through which to get the connection ; then try to connect your laptop using Belkin utility ; ususlly , if your PCMCIA card is working , you won't have to change the channel N° there ; the card will automatiacally detect it ; news about that will be of graet interest to me ; best wishes OLIVIER GEBUHRER