1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

How to install win98 on 64 bit system

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by crazydave, 2006/03/01.

1. 2006/03/01
    crazydave

crazydave Inactive Thread Starter

Hi All,

I am still using win98 for some older aplication and some games. I just got a new pc with a 64 bit CPU . its a Athlon 64 3000 Mhz, 1 GB RAM, a X700 videocard on PCI - Express and a Creative audigy 2 soundcard.

I used to work with a dual boot (win98 and win xp) on my old system and that went all fine. Now I tried to install win98 on my new system but it always keeps hanging o the 'detect new hardware' part. I have to manually shut down the pc. After that the pc either hangs again on the 'detect new hardware' section or shows the win98 bootscreen and then reboots and again and again.

is it possible to install win98 on a 64 bit system or not ? Can anyone help ?

thanks for any suggestions

david

2. 2006/03/01
    Dcrypter

Dcrypter Inactive

The one thing to remember is that Win98 is 16/32bit OS. With a 64bit proc it will through Win98 for a loop. Its trying to pass 16bit instructions to a 64bit processor. The only way I can think to get around it is use VMware.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/03/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

crazydave - Welcome to the Board :)

I don't think that your problem lies with the 64 bit processor, but with the PCI Express bus which Win 98 will not recognise and will not see your video card.

Another point to note is that is is very straightforward to load 98 followed by XP, but the other way round is very complex ....

How do I install Windows® 98/Me after I've installed XP?

Your only solution may be Microsft Virtual PC as Dcrypter posted.

5. 2006/03/01
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Some of the new motherboards no longer support Win 98. Check the specifications of the motherboard at the manufacturer's website, although it should be in the manual. See if there are Win98 drivers offered at the website.

I have a dual boot of 98 and XP on a m/b with an 64 bit CPU, no problems (standard PCI though).

I do wonder about Win98 not being able to address 1Gb of RAM, it is only really supposed to support 512Mb. Whether that would halt setup I am not sure. I limit Win98 systems to 512Mb, although there is a hack to get it to address larger amounts (you may be able to apply the hack in Safe Mode if you can get into Safe Mode).

Matt