1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

PowerPoint file won't open in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Lugwalker, 2006/02/27.

1. 2006/02/27
    Lugwalker Lifetime Subscription

Lugwalker Forever Autumn Thread Starter

I received a .pps file (a slideshow presentation) in Outlook Express. I saved the file in My Documents and clicked on that file to play the presentation, which it did successfully. However, when I click on the attachment in my Outlook Express inbox it tells me that it cannot be opened because it doesn't have a program associated with it. It advises me to go to Folder Option control panel to create the association. Of course the association for this file extension (.pps) is already made, which is why I can play the presentation when I click on the file in My Documents. Could anyone tell me why clicking on the attachment in OE fails to open it when the correct association is already made in Folder Options control panel? Many thanks.

:confused:

2. 2006/03/27
    jazcan Lifetime Subscription

jazcan Inactive

re: opening pps files within outlook express

Hi,
    I was having the same problem and was finally able to fix it.

This is what worked for me:

Press Start->run - then type control folders- In the folder options box select file types and then scroll to pps (microsoft powerpoint slideshow)
    Select "new" then in the action box type - Open.

In the Application used to perform this action type the path to your pptview file or select browse to find it
    In my case this is what I had to type in - Please note the quotation marks are very important. Type exactly as shown:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\PowerPoint Viewer\pptview.exe" "%1 "

Make sure use DDE is unchecked and then press O.K. and O.K. again

This is assuming your using powerpoint viewer to view these presentations. If you have the full program the path will probably be different.

Sorry to be so late replying but I just fixed the problem myself this morning.

Hope this helps!!!!!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/03/27
    Lugwalker Lifetime Subscription

Lugwalker Forever Autumn Thread Starter

Thanks, jazcan :) I right-clicked on the pps file which I had saved in 'My Documents'. I chose 'Open With' then 'Choose Program'. I browsed to the ppview32.exe file in the Powerpoint Viewer folder of 'Programs' and chose that. I re-sent the pps file to myself in Outlook Express and attempted to open the attachment which arrived in my inbox. It opened perfectly! Many thanks for your assistance. I'm much obliged to you.

5. 2006/03/27
    jazcan Lifetime Subscription

jazcan Inactive

Glad to hear your problem is solved!