1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

"Access denied" to documents and settings folder on old HD after moving it to new PC

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rfurtado, 2006/02/24.

1. 2006/02/24
    rfurtado

rfurtado Inactive Thread Starter

I really appreciate your help.

I recently replaced my old PC and had no problems swapping my old HD, as a second drive, into my new PC.
    No problems except one that is.
    The only folder I can not access on my old HD is the one where most of my data resides. Whenever I try to access
    D (old HD) :\Documents and Settings\ "my name "\ I get an "access denied "
    How can I get into that folder and retrieve my files from my old HD?

Thanks, Rich

2. 2006/02/24
    skeet6961

skeet6961 Inactive

take ownership of the tree structure as the 'old' machine permissions are not understood by the new one.

from explorer, if xp pro, tools/folderoptions/view and uncheck 'use simple file sharing'

then go to the top level of the old docs & settings and do rclick sharing&security. there u'll see the 'advanced' button. click it and u'll find the 'owner' tab.

use owner tab to 'add' u'r current account and/or u'r current administrator. check the 'replace on subcontainers' checkbox and OK u'r way out.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/25
    rfurtado

rfurtado Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks Skeet, you da man! -- RF

5. 2006/03/05
    MerleOne

MerleOne Inactive

OK, but how to do this on XP Home ?

Hi,

Is there a way to do this under XP Home ?

Thanks,

.merle1.

6. 2006/03/05
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Yes. It's pretty much the same but you need to boot to safemode and then log onto an account that has administrator privileges. If you're an administrator, your account is fine. If you do this the security tab should be available to you. Once in safemode you do the same thing as skeet mentioned. Have a look at this.
    How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP