1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Error: "Please wait while windows configures PhotoGallery"

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Pinkboots, 2006/02/17.

1. 2006/02/17
    Pinkboots

Pinkboots Inactive Thread Starter

Hi I keep having this problem upon start up and any time I scan something.

Screen will show "Please wait while windows configures PhotoGallery "
    it gives me the option to cancel, but immediately starts over every time I cancel. It prompts me to install the PhotoGallery disk (I don't have one, as far as I remember I've never had one & don't know where to get one.

How do I tell windows that I do not want it to keep trying to load this program that I do not want.

2. 2006/02/17
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Try looking in "Add / Remove" Program listing for PhotoGallery.
    If it is their, try removing it. You make have a partial install, so not sure you will have a listing. If you can remove program, it may be a good idea to check registry for any remains. If no listing, try the following ...
    Click on ...
    Start | Run
    type in msconfig, click on OK.
    Click on Startup tab.
    Find PhotoGallery in listing and remove "tick ".
    OK from the screen.
    This will NOT remove the program, but will prevent in from running when you
    start your computer.

Last edited: 2006/02/17

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/17
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I found this on this webpage. I quoted it here as the webpage is a blog and I don't know how long it'll remain on that page. From the few hits I got on this, HP Printer software seems to be involved.
    If that's not it another suggestion that worked for a couple was to run HijackThis and fix any entries that say either "no file" or "file missing" in them. You can post the log here if you aren't sure what I'm talking about.

5. 2006/02/24
    Pinkboots

Thanks for your help. Heres what I've found...

- in add/remove there is no reference to PhotoGallery
    - tried msconfig option - no PhotoGallery there either
    - I have a hp psc 1315v - in add/remove I have 3 listings...
    HP Image Zone 4.2
    HP PSC & Office Jet 4.2
    HP software update (which to delete??)

- downloaded Hijackthis v1.99.1, ran a scan, says 'below are results of scan, be careful what you delete...' Didn't find 'PhotoGallery', 'no file' or missing file' but not sure how to navigate this program.

6. 2006/02/24
    Zander

Well, for starters I think I'd try uninstalling HP Image Zone. Seems to me that would be the most likely thing. Everything I've found about this error points to HP software. As I said, that one seems to be the most likely. Uninstall it and see it the problem goes away.

7. 2006/02/24
    Pinkboots

Will I still be able to use my printer and scanner? I do have Kodak easy share w/ my dig. camera. Is it about the same thing?

8. 2006/02/24
    Zander

I don't know if Kodak Easy Share does the same thing or not. I know what Easy Share does but I don't know what this HP program does. Find that HP program in your start menu and start it to find out what it is. My guess is that the scanner will work fine without it. It may be that you're using this program for scanning. I don't know. But, if you are, you can use almost any image program to scan things. Paint, will work just fine. I use Irfanview for most of my scanning. Irfanview is a free image viewer that you can also use for minor editing of pictures. Cropping, redeye reduction, add text, etc. It's really a steal for the price. :) Sort of a Swiss Army knife of image viewers.

All scanners will come with software you can use to scan and organize your photos. It's not necessary to use it though. Once the drivers are installed the scanner should work regardless of whether you use their software or not. You can try uninstalling the program. If it messes things up you can always install it again. It's up to you.

Also, it's possible you can keep it from running at startup. Open the program and look in the options to see if there's somewhere in there to keep it from loading at startup. If not, click start>run and type msconfig. Click the startup tab and remove the checkmark from the line that starts it. If you don't know which one, remove the checkmark from anything that looks like it might be related (HP things). Log off, and then back on and see if the message is gone. If so, you can enable some of them again and log off again to see if the message appears. Keep doing this until you locate the one that's causing it. Then, remove the checkmark from the line and leave it that way.

You don't have to worry to much about unchecking the wrong thing on the startup tab. Just don't disable your firewall or antivirus. It's better to leave them run for obvious reasons. If you disable something using msconfig and something doesn't work afterwards, you can always go back and enable things again. Anytime you use it you have to either log off or reboot for things to take effect.

9. 2006/03/11
    krk3344

krk3344 Inactive

thank you, thank you very much

had just swapped out a hhd for a machine with HP 8150 and this error started
    just offed a couple of HP refs in msconfig and now the nags are gone
    will either uninstall or reinstall the hp stuff for a permanent fix

10. 2006/04/06
    kope007

kope007 Inactive

Same problem fixed

I had a similar problem and it is definatly with the the HP software. After a few back and forths with HP support I finally got a reasonable solution. There are two ways to accomplish the same thing:

Insert Hp disc that was supplyed with printer.
    Go to Start then Run type "X:\Photogallery\PhotoGallery.msi"
    (Replace X: with the CD-ROM drive letter and leave out quotes).

Or

While Hp disc is inserted click on one of the media files that produced the error message and it will automatically install the missing file.

Hope this helps. I can't believe there is no mention of this problem on their site. After searching I found many people with the same problem.

11. 2006/04/07
    Jim Boyd

Jim Boyd Inactive

PhotoGallery message

I'm having the same problem when Windows XP starts.

12. 2006/04/08
    krk3344

krk3344 Inactive

I offed the HP software....ms config I guess and been fine since then....now on to newer problems

thanks