1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

vgasave as my video driver

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Greg B, 2006/02/11.

1. 2006/02/11
    Greg B

Greg B Inactive Thread Starter

I have been going along very nicely with my FX5200 nvidia card installed on my gigabyte 8IPE1000 (rev 1.0) motherboard and connected by DVI to a Samsung 172X monitor at a res of 1280 X 1024 all running on a P4 2.6, 1 gig ram and Win XP SP2.

I decided to upgrade to an asus nvidia 6200 video card. Boy was that the wrong thing to do!

After about 5 hours of installing and returning to the store and installing again I have no luck. I refuses to display in anything but 16 colours and 800 X 600 and in a strange thing called "vgasave ".

After a little research it seems windows uses vgasave when it can't recognise the video card.

I installed the latest motherboard drivers but I am really reluctant (read scared stiff) to flash the BIOS.

Any ideas guys? Im stumped. I suspect I have an incompatability between my MB and Video card. Am I right?

2. 2006/02/11
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Do you still have the old card (FX5200)? If you do just take out the new card & plug in the old one. Boot the computer and revert the setting of Video Adapter to VGA 800x600. Shut down the system. Swap cards. Reboot. Windows should now (hopefully :D ) detect that something has changed and ask for drivers. Insert the driver CD & install.

If you don'y have the old card or if the way suggested above does not work, remove the old video driver, reboot and reinstall the new drivers.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/11
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

You may need to remove the old drivers completely. Boot into Safe Mode (start tapping the F8 key straight after the keyboard LEDs flash or you see the black configuration screens). In Safe Mode, go to Device Manager and remove/uninstall anything listed under Display Adapter, go to Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and remove anything listed for nVidia (or any other graphics programs).

When you reboot, you should be able to direct the New Hardware wizard to the 6200 drivers CD. If not, Cancel the installation (Windows will run in vgasave mode again) then run the drivers installation program on the CD. It should then autodetect the card and install the drivers when you reboot.

It is most unlikely that a BIOS upgrade would help, the BIOS upgade information for that model does not have anything related to graphics.

If you find yourself still stuck, download and install the latest chipset drivers. A good set of chipset drivers are required to run the graphics drivers correctly (in fact, you may want to start with this anyway, then you won't have to backtrack).
    http://tw2005.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-8IPE1000 (Rev 1.x).htm

Matt

5. 2006/02/11
    Greg B

Greg B Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks guys but that's exactly what I spent my 5 hours doing. Everything except flashing the BIOS because there was nothing at Gigabyte about a graphics fix for my board and I don't want to update the BIOS just for this card. It aint that important.

The old card is back in place and the new card is going back for a refund.