1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Internet Explorer 7 Beta

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by Welshjim, 2006/02/01.

1. 2006/02/01
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive Thread Starter

Last edited: 2006/02/02
  2. 2006/02/01
    jan roberts

jan roberts Inactive

welshjim well i got it downloaded it and i like its looks now we shall see how we get along.:D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/02/03
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Read my review here.

Arie,
  5. 2006/02/03
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Thanks for the review Arie. Looks interesting. It's amazing what a little competition will do. :)

jan
    Keep us up to date. I've been waiting for a guinea pig for this. :D

6. 2006/02/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

IE 7 Beta 2 is a disaster on my computer, probably worse than the pre-public beta which I also ran briefly.....

Clicking the IE icon to connect brings up 2 connection dialogue boxes (screenshot).

Once IE 7 is open and connected clicking on any link or on the Google Toolbar loses the menu bar - recovered by hitting F10 - until the next link is clicked.

Each time a link is clicked the 'new' connection dialogue box (screenshot) flashes on the screen until the link is loaded - and if the an attempt is made to close the dialogue box IE freezes, although Task Manager claims it is still running.

Being lefthanded I do not like the Home, etc buttons on the RHS of the screen.

I suspect that the Connection Manager for my broadband is incompatible with changes in IE 7.

I rather think I shall wait for the final public release before trying to sort this lot out - life is too short :)

7. 2006/02/03
    Zander

Well, I'm going to wait a while before I give it a try. That said, is there an uninstall option for it? Would like to if and when I give it a try.

8. 2006/02/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Yes - uninstall in Add/Remove Programs, be sure to tick 'Show Updates'. It should be at the bottom of the Windows Update list.

I've uninstalled IE 7 in various flavours 4/5 times without any problems.

9. 2006/02/03
    Welshjim

Juno reports that IE7 Beta will disable Juno.

10. 2006/02/03
    Welshjim

PeteC--
    Were you running IE7 on a separate partition? (One of the reasons I ask is to learn how you reverted to IE6.)

11. 2006/02/03
    HumBug

HumBug Well-Known Member

Have not found the bugs yet

Only been playing for a short time and are yet to find the reported bugs or any new ones. My first impressions are I will like the non-beta version when released

12. 2006/02/03
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Jim
    No - the install of IE 7 replaced IE 6. I reverted to IE 6 by uninstalling IE 7 through Add/Remove programs - as detailed in the release notes ....

http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx

13. 2006/02/03
    Zander

Well, all I can say is I'm glad to hear you've had it running Pete. After all, two guinea pigs have to be better than one. ;) :D

14. 2006/02/04
    jan roberts

jan roberts Inactive

so far so good,but i think im scaring it(ie7,known as 7) i didnt know that dr watson did postmortems! most of the reports 7 has sent have been my fault. i really need to know just how many tabs i can have in a block? it can handle 5(magazines) but i tried to get it to block (fed.gov w/17) it sent a report. and most of the reports have been unresponding programs.

i like it.i like the tabbed thingie. if 7 doesnt go screaming to microsoft begging them to make me leave it alone it might be a keeper. we'll see.:D

15. 2006/02/04
    dobhar Lifetime Subscription

dobhar Inactive

Been running this beta since released to public and have had no issues. I really like the tabs in this version of IE 7.0 over the last version.

16. 2006/02/05
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member

Runs just fine for me. No problem since the install, the tabbed browsing is a big improvement but I miss the favourites toolbar which Firefox has. However, I have a feeling that the anti-phishing filter does slow down the loading of some sites, but I don't intend to turn it off!

Roger

17. 2006/02/12
    tarheelfan001

tarheelfan001 Well-Known Member

Just One Small Problem So Far

So far IE7 beta 2, looks like and does what MS promised. I love the print center feature, just awesome. The only glitch I have had so far is my toolbars will not stay locked, and my home icon falls out of sight on the right side each time I load IE. Well two problems, oops. The other is a program that is supposed to integrate with no problem that I love using called 1-click answers. In all other tabbed browsers, it opens in another tabbed window as promised, in IE7 beta 2 it opens another IE instead of just another tab. Not sure if it is blasphemous to mention another browser, but if you like IE7 beta 2, you should love Avant 10.1 build 40. It is built on the IE engine.

Tarheelfan001

18. 2006/02/12
    Zander

I bit the bullet and installed it a couple days ago but it only stayed for part of a day. It ran great, I didn't have any problems with it and I liked what I saw but it did cause a problem in OE for me.

I use OE to access to different accounts. One is my ISP account, the other a Hotmail account. Well, after I installed IE7 the Hotmail account acquired an annoyance. When I first logged onto it everything was fine but after that, any time I changed folders or checked the mail manually it would prompt me for my username and password. Once I entered it I was able to access the folder. But as soon as I'd click on a different folder I'd be prompted again. This would go on and on.

I searched the Google groups on this and it appears it's a pretty common problem with those who have installed IE7 and use OE to access their Hotmail account. The general answer as to a fix was "there is none yet ". I got so sick of it I uninstalled IE7 about 8 hrs after I installed it. OE returned to normal then so I guess I'll wait for the next beta and maybe check that out. :rolleyes:

19. 2006/02/12
    James

James Inactive

I've been using it periodically but frankly, I'm sticking with FF. It hasn't created any problems, but the fact that MS is so slow in patching security breaches is of concern.

20. 2006/02/13
    HumBug

HumBug Well-Known Member

IE7 bug

One bug I have found that does not restore when IE7 is removed etc.

I have been running MSN Toolbar desktop search.

It has altered something somewhere so the MSN search options now say I do not have Outlook Express or Outlook installed and why. The mail programs are working perfectly. but something the IE7 beta did changed something with the MSN desktop search so it can no longer recognise I have the programs installed.

Contacted the MSN crows who did not know and just pushed me off to
    http://support.microsoft.com

21. 2006/02/17
    aggletonm

aggletonm Inactive

It's so much better than beta 1. MS would have been mad to release that to the public. I've been running it with no issues both at work (proxying to the net) and at home using DSL. My only small issue (and it may not be an IE7 issue) is that often when clicking a link in the reading pane in Outlook 2003 it takes an age to launch IE if it's not already open.