1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

System Retore Problems

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Xtension06, 2006/01/15.

1. 2006/01/15
    Xtension06

Xtension06 Inactive Thread Starter

I think I messed up my computer because my windows media player does not work, so when I decided to use system restore to go back to yesterday, system restore does not open. When I click system restore nothing happens and when I click it again, it opens but its blank where it would usually ask me if i wanted to retore to an earlier date. Please help.

2. 2006/01/15
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Click start>run and type the following commands followed by the enter key after each one. Then see if system restore works. I don't think it should require a reboot but if it doesn't work right away, try rebooting the puter.

regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/01/15
    Xtension06

Thanx

OMG thank you so much, yall are smart man! Im goin to college to be a computer engineer and minor in electrical engineering and i hope i get as smart as yall man, thank you!

5. 2006/01/15
    Xtension06

Quick question

Im glad it works now, but what do you think might have went wrong?

6. 2006/01/15
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

I really don't have the slightest idea what went wrong. Somehow those files got unregistered. Windows seems to have a way of doing things by itself you know. :) Anyway, glad to hear it worked for you.

Now, one more thought. Have you tried to see if media player works now? I don't know if registering those files would have an effect on media player or not but knowing how it's tied to the OS, I suppose it's possible. Just curious.

7. 2006/01/15
    Xtension06

No something else went wrong with that, I dont know what I did. I was trying to fix my norton anti-virus but it didnt come out too good. But I just did system restore to yesterday and windows media player worked just fine. Another thing, when my subsciption to norton antivirus goes out do I have to buy another one? if so how much is it? because my live update doesnt work anymore so Im thinking its that.

8. 2006/01/15
    skeet6961

skeet6961 Inactive

u should be able to renew it at symantec.com's site. just need a credit card mostly

9. 2006/01/21
    tenbob

tenbob Inactive

I only renewed my Norton AV once, a couple of years ago and stopped doing that. I now use a free AVG virus app from Grisoft.com
    Highly rated!

10. 2006/02/02
    tomxp

tomxp Well-Known Member

*.tmp Files Deleting?

[SIZE= "2"]Hello Everyone: I just brought up my *.tmp files and went to delete them and they would not delete, does this have to be done in Safe Mode? Thanks, Tom[/SIZE]