1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Each time I boot the PC the windows boot manager Starts

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by browner, 2006/01/12.

1. 2006/01/12
    browner

browner Inactive Thread Starter

Just Tried to install a beta version of vista which did not work! Each time I boot the PC the windows boot manager Starts! How do I stop this happening and just get it to boot to xp?

Many Thanks

Gary

2. 2006/01/12
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

(there's some fine print in the vista setup guides that say dual booting is not supported. some people have had luck with it)

Control Panel->System Icon->Advanced tab->Startup & Recovery "settings" button

Either set the "default" to XP and change the time to zero seconds (this the easy/safe way) or edit the boot.ini file and remove the Vista lines.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/01/12
    browner

Thanks for prompt reply! Tried that method but it still gives the option to dual boot but not to xp by default! Any other options.

Many Thanks

5. 2006/01/12
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello

Tried that method I assume means changing the default OS via the advanced tab - not by editing the boot.ini file.

Vista is still showing in the window as the default, is that correct? Did you click on the drop down arrow and then click on XP's line > ok?

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2006/01/12
  6. 2006/01/12
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

browner,

Scot Finnie's most recent newsletter discusses this issue... you can view the newsletter HERE . Scroll down to the section on Windows Vista, then to the issues with 'dual booting'. HTH

B

7. 2006/01/12
    charlesvar

issues with 'dual booting'

Thanks Mr. B for the reference, Steve's advice should have worked, and was wondering what was going on.

Regards - Charles

8. 2006/01/12
    browner

Dual Boot

When I tried that method the default OS was Xp and Vista Does not show up! I have read the article and it talks about deleting the vista boot file which it installs. Having done a search I have found many references to Boot. Any ideas how i know which one was insatlled by vista?

Many Thanks

Last edited: 2006/01/12
  9. 2006/01/12
    charlesvar

Hi Browner,

There are two people that I know of that are testing Vista, one is Arie and the other is PeteC who I think does it in a multi boot config.

If you don't get an answer, then you can PM PeteC.

Regards - Charles

10. 2006/01/12
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

browner,

From Scot's article... "c:\boot directory added by Vista ". There should be a folder called "boot" on your c:\ drive. XP uses a "boot.ini" file, so there shouldn't be any confusion. :D :confused: Sorry I can only refer to the article since I don't have Vista installed.

B :cool:

11. 2006/01/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Let me know if you still need help with this, and I get back to you tomorrow. I'll have to do some research, but it's got nothing to do with boot.ini...

12. 2006/01/13
    browner

I've done a search on C Drive and there are several boot folders! and references to boot. Not sure if this is helpful but when i tried to install Vista it actually failed because it couldn't recognise my Drives. It did state it would undo changes made but it hasn't changed the Dual boot.

13. 2006/01/13
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

browner,

Don't run a 'search' of the C drive. Open 'MyComputer' and double-click the C drive, how many 'boot' folders do you see? When I do this there are NO boot folders. I'm not talking about any files that have 'boot' in their name (i.e. boot.ini).

B :cool:

14. 2006/01/13
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

Which build of Vista is it?

15. 2006/01/15
    browner

It was the December release. The build Number is 5270.

Last edited: 2006/01/15
  16. 2006/01/15
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

Ok, your problem is that Vista changed your XP install’s partition boot record (PBR) to load its own new bootmanager instead of XP’s ntloader. You need to repair the PBR so it again points to the ntloader, then you can delete the Vista boot files from the root of XP.

Boot to the XP Recovery Console from the XP CD and run the fixboot command. Do you know how to do this?

Vista also changed the MBR of the hard drive, but XP will function quite happily with the new MBR. It may however cause problems with other disk software as none are Vista compatible yet. If you want to restore the XP MBR then when you are in the Recovery Console also run the fixmbr command.

17. 2006/01/15
    browner

Managed to get the recovery console up and running no problem! when i run fixboot i get the following message "Fixboot cannot find the system drive, or drive specified is not valid ". Am i using the command incorrectly? C is my main drive. I run my hard drive through a third party "UltraATA 133 PCI Card" if that has any effect. I don't thing it should because it goes through that procees first! Many Thanks

18. 2006/01/15
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

Not come across that one before, don’t know if the controller card is responsible.

To run the fixboot command all you do is type that one word at the prompt and hit Enter. Perhaps you are not logging on to the correct Windows install. Do you get a list of Windows installs numbered from 1 onwards, and then get asked which one you want to choose? If you have a choice of more than one then what are they? You can’t rely on the drive letters at this point as the Recovery Console might assign a different letter to what you see when booted into Windows.

19. 2006/01/15
    browner

Making some progress! When prompted for third part controler press F6 and use floppy disk so windows detects the controler. Then get the option to select windows. Only have one choice so press 1. carried out your earlier instructions and all seems well!

Many Thanks for all your help!!!!

20. 2006/01/15
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

Good news. You can delete those Vista files now.
    boot.bak
    bootsect.bak
    bootmgr
    And the hidden folder ‘boot’

There is another hidden folder with a long funny name but can’t remember what it is just now. I’ll have a look later and post back.

If you don’t already have one you should make an XP boot floppy. It can boot Windows for you over many errors in the system files and even in the MBR and PBR.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/create_xp_boot_disk.htm

21. 2006/01/15
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

'PendingRenames' is the other hidden folder. There is nothing in it and I have no idea what it is. You may not have it because of your failed install.