1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Freeware firewalls (endangered species)

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by psaulm119, 2005/12/29.

1. 2005/12/29
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

After almost a year behind my router, I have decided to jump back into the swing of things by using a freeware firewall to block outbound traffic as well. Man what a difference a year makes! The only freeware options I see are Kerio 2.1.5 (no typo), and Zone Alarm. I am concerned that Secunia listed 6 vulnerabilities, although only one critical for this older Kerio firewall, and am wondering if using such an old firewall would be like trying to fight WWII with a sword and shield. Would it really be that bad? I never had much luck with Zone Alarm before, installing and running it on my system.

My computer has been so free from malware that at this point, I think I'd rather stick it out with my AV and anti-spyware behind my router, than pay $40 or so for the extra protection of blocking outbound traffic. Are there any freeware firewalls that I'm missing?

2. 2005/12/29
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

psaulm119--Nothing outdated about ZoneAlarm free, but as you say the number of free firewalls for Windows is down to three. (You neglected Windows Firewall, which, however, also does not monitor outgoing traffic.)
    If you look in your weekly Sunday supplements, you very often can get other firewalls free after upgrade rebates. Of course, if you have nothing to upgrade then they will cost. Or your ISP may offer a free firewall. I use Comcast. They offer free McAfee's security suite free.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/12/30

Thanks Jim, for the tip on looking up my ISP. They offer an av and firewall program that I'll take a look at. I really didn't count Windows Firewall, because it offers me nothing that a router wouldn't offer me, and I am specifically thinking of using a software firewall because of the ability to monitor outbound traffic. But yes it is free. Its unfortunate that so many companies are not finding the freeware model sufficient for revenue growth--you know, free stuff for individual desktops; more advanced features and support for group/corporate level. Anyways, even if my ISP's firewall isn't any good, I can at least let others know that their ISP often provides these services.

5. 2005/12/30
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

I still use Kerio 2.1.4 in both 98 and XP. As a simple rule based firewall it is still hard to beat, but you do have to know what you are doing and set up all your own rules to take advantage of it. Unlike many of the current firewalls on offer it has no extras like content filters or process monitors, cookie or popup blockers etc etc, so you do need other things in place. In XP I use Process Guard to protect Kerio and control processes.

6. 2005/12/30
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi Paul,

Sunbelt rescued Kerio http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=49869

I have to replace Sygate sooner or later, so I'm watching the development carefully :) There is a paid version - license $15.00 US up till April.

McTavish pointed you towards PG - excellent product, the forum is on Wilders. I use SSM http://syssafety.com/ free for the time being and stable on my system.

Regards - Charles

7. 2005/12/30

Hello Charles and McTavish,
    I'm actually looking into firewalls now for two reasons--one is for my own use, another is for folks who aren't all that computer literate, but who know enough to double-click and that's about it. I'd like a freeware firewall to recommend to them. I'm glad to know that Kerio 2.x isn't taboo on "modern" computers. Hopefully the out-of-the-box experience is effective enough, b/c I'm also looking for a good freeware firewall I can recommend for folks who really aren't that computer literate. We'll see.

Thanks for the process monitor links. Bookmarked them both.

8. 2005/12/30
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

I always bookmark free things I come across and I’ve just had to trim my FreeFirewall folder. Surprised to find OutPost and Look’n’Stop also seem to no longer offer free versions. Still got a few in there though
    http://www.netveda.com/downloads/index.htm
    http://www.softperfect.com/products/firewall
    http://www.jetico.com/jpfirewall.htm
    But they are all ones I have not trialled yet.

A quick google could only turn up one more, but I would be surprised if there were not more around.
    http://www.personalfirewall.trustix.com
    Looks like this one needs registering yearly.

Last edited: 2005/12/30
  9. 2005/12/30
    brvb

brvb Inactive

"Are there any freeware firewalls that I'm missing?
    _Paul "

What??.... are you on welfare?? Good software has to be $ paid $ for by someone...*...they don't/can't make this stuff for free...

But I guess it won't be from any help of yours--get a grip--pay your way with whatever 'brand' you pick-- "free" won't be free forever---it just costs 'us' that pay for quality, features, etc...

I'm so sick of folks that want 'me' and others to pay there way to security*, to be on-line...it's raises the price of what you and I will eventually pay, anyway...(and are $ paying $, now!)

FYI: I currently am using (and "bought" with $$) TrendMicro 2006 the suite...

Bruce

Bruce
    Alaska

brvb,
  10. 2005/12/31

Since you seem to have so much trouble with this, let me spell it out for you.

The desire to use free products does not raise prices for anyone. Whoever told you this didn't intend for you to think too deeply about it--and you obviously haven't. The display of free versions for the home environment allows companies the ability to attract a larger following and a better reputation than they otherwise would have had. When you want to compete against established companies, you have to lower your prices. This phenomenon is taking place all over the computer industry.

Feel free to pay whatever you feel gives you the most bang for the buck. Just don't waste any time getting sick over it. On second thought, I got the distinct impression you enjoy feeling this way. Your payments to Trend Micro allows you the dubious benefit of a martyr complex.

Enjoy the sick feeling. If freeware users make you feel this way, you're going to be sick for quite a while. No sweat off of my back.

11. 2005/12/31
    charlesvar

Hello Bruce,

I think your outrage is misplaced. It should be directed against fat, lazy corporations that are very slow to respond to user's problems.

Two examples suffice: MS and Internet Explorer, it took FireFox et al to kick MS in the rear and get them to really respond to the security disaster that IE was.

Another: Patrick Kolla, author of SpyBot, and the author (don't remember his name) of Ad-Aware kick started the security industry.

All free.

Do you think Zone Labs would have reached the firewall dominance that it enjoys today without having offered ZA free? Do you think MS would have included a firewall in their OS w/o that example? Do you think we all ought to rely on Symantec/NIS - McAfee Security Suite?

EDIT: Forgot to add the purely economic argument:

If I were selling apples (fruit) and someone down the street gave them away, what would be a smart response on my part?

Increase the price of my apples? That would be stupid, wouldn't it? Your assertion about having to pay more because of free substitutes holds no water. It's the other around - you'd be paying more for worse quality.

Or add value - deliver the apples to your door, ask your preference in apples and make sure I have them when you want them, make sure they are spotless, and if a regular customer, discount them.

Happy New Year

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2005/12/31
  12. 2006/01/08
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

All arguments aside, ZA Free has been my firewall of choice for the past several years. I had previously used Symantec's Norton SystemWorks, but had a real problem with the way it insinuated itself into my computer. It resisted removal, but I was finally successful in completely removing it. I bought ZA Pro sometime back, but found that the free version actually met my needs better, and I have had few, if any, problems with it.

FWIW, although anti-virus programs were not included in the thread, AVG Free has been my choice, as well. It has the advantage of being updated several time a week, unlike some of the commercial AV programs, and it has served my needs well.

HTH.

13. 2006/01/08
    TerryFox Lifetime Subscription

TerryFox Well-Known Member

14. 2006/01/09
    prschoef

prschoef Inactive

Companies That Don't Respond

Charles var said,

"I think your outrage is misplaced. It should be directed against fat, lazy corporations that are very slow to respond to user's problems.

Two examples suffice: MS and Internet Explorer, it took FireFox et al to kick MS in the rear and get them to really respond to the security disaster that IE was. "

Add Intuit Quicken to that list

15. 2006/01/09
    James

James Inactive

I agree with Jim... the free version of ZA and the free version of AVG are both excellent choices, recommended by MVP's and by my local computer gurus.

I've been watching, like Charles, the goings-on at Sunbelt... given that I have a paid-for license for their CounterSpy product. I had been under the (evidentally false) impression that they would offer a "free" version of Kerio. Needless to say, they are currently offering it along with CounterSpy for a very reasonable price. I'd be tempted except for the fact that ZA works so well. Never had a problem with it.

16. 2006/01/09
    charlesvar

Hi James,

Not false, they do offer a free version.

What you download is the full featured FW which:

http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

The link offers free/paid comparison.

Regards - Charles

17. 2006/01/09
    James

James Inactive

Ah... thanks, Charles. That sounds like a very good deal then.

18. 2006/02/28
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

FWIW, System Suite 6 comes with a Sygate firewall. System Suite has a nice set of utilities, along with Recovery Commander and a scaled down version of Power Desk.

It also comes with anti-virus software too.

I have version 5 myself.

19. 2006/03/01
    charlesvar

A reminder for you and anyone else, Sygate personal FW is officially "dead" since its takeover by Symantec - no future development.

Regards - Charles

20. 2006/03/01
    James

James Inactive

And being taken over by Symantec essentially means it is no longer free since it appears to be part of a suite they're offering (something in which I would not be interested). :rolleyes:

21. 2006/03/01
    James

James Inactive

btw, Charles

I whined to Sunbelt about the complexity of Kerio's firewall (for a neophyte like myself) and they actually agreed with me. I was told by one of their techies (Stu) that they would soon be offering a starter's guide for anyone who wished to install the firewall. Stayed tuned for further developments.:)