1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Services and pagefile tweaking worthwhile?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Christer, 2005/12/29.

1. 2005/12/29
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff Thread Starter

Hello all!

I found Performance-oriented Windows tweaking, an interesting topic at AnandTech. It tests and discusses tweaks according to BlackViper and I quote the conclusions of the tests (I haven't read the discussion):

On the Services tweaks (three different systems):

This would leave us with security considerations. Services labeled as a "security risk" could/should be changed to a "less vulnerable" setting.

On the pagefile tweaks:

The setting for the pagefile that I have on my system is the default setting by the installer, with a minimum of 1.5 x RAM and a maximum of 3.0 x RAM, which is not even mentioned by BlackViper. I have 512 MB RAM and a pagefile of 768-1536 MB. Monitoring its size and usage, not on a single occasion have I noticed a resizing to occur. That would negate the "lessen fragmentation" advantage of moving it to a different partition.

Christer

2. 2005/12/29
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I fully agree!

Best tweak: ADD RAM!!!

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/12/29
    Christer

Remember that BV only deals with the Services installed by Windows itself. Different programs install their own services which may be worthwhile looking into from a performance perspective (unnecessary startups) and from a security perspective (phoning home).

Christer

5. 2005/12/29
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

What was not mentioned ny the author of the article;

1. setting certain services to manual or disabled makes a system "cleaner" in that there are less processes running that can potentially interfere with:
    a. software installs
    b. troubleshooting hardware iissues
    c. troubleshooting networking
    d. malware removal
    e. boot time

To me, performance = overall amount of time consumed when performing a any task. This can be achieved by upgrading hardware and by removing software that I do not need or want, including MS software such as services, MSN, etc., and controlling security risk services.

Performance also includes "user habits ". We don't all do things the same way when we use computers. Some never use a mouse at all while others utterly depend on a mouse for almost everything. Some use the rt click context menus while others do not even know it exists.

It also equates to "how the desktop & folders look ", e.g. navigation is much much quicker using Windows Classic or default XP theme w/out common tasks & background images in folder view.

Bottom line, a computer's performance can only perform as well as the user performs HIS tasks. MS knows this 100%. The overall goal of MS has been to make it easier for the end user to use his computer and as for security, MS has been seeking to attain a higher level of confidence and trust for the end user. With increased confidence, the end user can perform his tasks better and faster.

note: the author of that article ommitted many things that reflect performance.

6. 2005/12/29
    Christer

TonyT,

The simplest "measurement" is boot time and I used that to see if the SAFE settings according to BV had any effect and it had. I don't remember the exact figures but an approximate reduction of 10 seconds from ~70 to ~60 seconds until the process "userinit.exe" disappeared from TaskManager. (I don't remember the effect on Memory Usage.)

Recent additions to my running processes (previously 28) are nvsvc32.exe which was added by the new NVIDIA drivers that I am currently testing and gcasDtServ.exe + gcasServ.exe added by letting Microsoft AntiSpyWare run in the background (now 31 processes). That increased boot time to ~70 seconds (userinit.exe gone) and another 15-20 seconds until all of them had "talked to daddy ".

This indicates to me that limiting startups is more important than tweaking default Windows Services but with the new additions up and running, I don't perceive any performance loss. (Memory Usage with XP idling was increased from ~145 MB to ~165 MB.)

Christer

7. 2005/12/29
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

agreed, boot time is noticablby different after adjusting services.
    per my task manager, I have 14 processes running there at boot.
    it changes when I'm on the road because I disable the lan and enable the wireless when travling.

8. 2005/12/30
    Christer

I'm sure that you know (but others may not) that we have more services/processes running than indicated in TaskManager. I have five instances of svchost.exe running and some of them host a number of services/processes.

For those who want to know what is running, go to Start > Run > type: cmd > OK
    In the window that opens, type: tasklist /svc > Enter

Christer

9. 2005/12/30
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

Hi Christer
    That "˜tasklist /svc’ command does not seem to work for me, I get "“ ‘tasklist’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Maybe it’s because I’ve disabled a service that it needs or I’ve removed something with Xplite.

I like a clean trim system and have got things down to just 9 Windows processes running at start up and 3 for the one security app I run resident "“ Process Guard. I have to agree that I have not noticed any appreciable performance difference as a result, but that’s not my reason for trimming things down.

I stopped a long time ago messing with the pagefile and now just leave it in the OS and let Windows handle it. I hardly ever see it getting used but perhaps for people who are into games or video editing it might be different. In the days of only 16 or 32mb or ram it was probably more important and I think much on the net on the subject originates form those days. With the amount of RAM and performance of systems now I do believe that any gains from moving or tweaking the pagefile is minimal at best and certainly not noticeable to the average user.

10. 2005/12/30
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Christer--BlackViper caused quite a bit of discussion--mostly negative-- when he posted his recommendations about disabling certain Services several years ago. Most people thought the recommendations were too extreme.
    As we know, many Services are dependent on others. And the names of the Services are difficult to recognize what programs they affect.
    I think the controversy had something to do with BlackViper closing down his site.
    ElderGeek came out with a more moderate list of recommendations. But even he has now decided that fiddling with Services is really not worth it and causes more harm than good.
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

11. 2005/12/30
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

McTavish--Did you follow Christer's instruction to run tasklist /svc|Enter from a command prompt? Do not forget the space before the / .
    But I do not think tasklist.exe comes with WindowsXP, or at least is not installed by default. You can get it here
    http://www.computerhope.com/download/winxp.htm

Last edited: 2005/12/30
  12. 2005/12/30
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

Thanks Jim, that was the reason, the Tasklist program was not on my machine.
    It shows the same 9 processes as listed in TaskInfo and shows the 17 services that I have starting on bootup tied into 6 processes. The other 3 being explorer, smss and csrss, which are not services but system processes. Everything that I was aware of and as it should be.

The trouble with service tweaking guides is that they can’t know what will be required by different people. It took me a lot of trial and error to find out what I personally needed and what I didn’t. My reasons for doing this are entirely for security and privacy.

13. 2005/12/31
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

McTavish--You are welcome. Always good to hear that a suggestion helped. :)

14. 2006/01/01
    Christer

Hello guys!

Hmm ...... :confused: ...... I have it on XP-pro. Could XP-home differ in not having tasklist.exe?

McTavish will probably shoot a hole in my theory by telling that he runs XP-pro ...... :p ...... !

Christer

15. 2006/01/01
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Christer--Maybe you got it somewhere else and forgot!! :D
    I do that all the time and vice versa.
    Guess I could look at my WinXP CD if I were not so lazy.
    Anyway, McTavish has a source for it now.

16. 2006/01/01
    Christer

Jim,

Nope, I'm 100% sure that I have not installed tasklist.exe separately. If I had, it would be archived in my "D:\Installation\Programs\System Tools" folder and it's not.

It was Newt who taught me to use it and it was there when I tried the first time.

Christer

17. 2006/01/01
    Christer

I searched Microsoft.com for tasklist.exe and the resulting articles indicate that it is included in XP-pro but not in XP-home (no reference to that OS version mentioned).

Christer

18. 2006/01/01
    Christer

A Google search for "tasklist xp home" lead to Information and help with Windows svchost.exe. which also indicates that tasklist.exe is included in XP-pro but not in XP-home.

Good to know when advicing people to use the tool ...... :eek: ...... !

Christer

19. 2006/01/01
    McTavish

McTavish Inactive

Yeah Christer, this machine is XP Home. Other is Pro and sure enough tasklist is already there. I regularly forget they are different because normally there is nothing to distinguish between them. I think the only other time I got reminded was when I wanted gpedit in Home. Which BTW I found a useable solution to here.

20. 2006/01/01
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Last edited: 2006/01/02
  21. 2006/01/02
    Christer

Hi Charles!

I reread that thread from june 2005 and it seems like we are following the same lines again. There may be two sides (and an edge) on this coin too:

Heads - security: Some settings improve security and I believe those are the important ones. If you don't need a service which can be regarded as a "security hole ", then close it.

Tails - performance: It is a fact that a computer with BV-SAFE settings boot faster but when up and running, it is difficult to perceive any difference. Since installed programs often are starting components at startup, controlling those applications is more important since they have a greater impact on performance.

The edge - remembering the "tweaks" and connecting them with any future problem that may arize.

On my own system, I run BV-SAFE but on systems that I have built or reinstalled for friends, I only tweak a few services. The reason for that is the edge of the coin - my friends can not remember what services have been tweaked and if some day, they would like to network their desktop with their laptop ...... :eek: ...... !

I will compare BlackViper with the ElderGeek and the end result may be that I come to the conclusion ...... :p ...... that I know too little to make an "informed decision ".

Christer